Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mera vs Justice League

https://comicnewbies.com/2017/07/06/...ustice-league/

I am so tired of DC .. So now Mera can take on the Justice league and beat them (even though she was not at full power!!). I am practically over DC.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Did she take them down though? Seems like she momentarily inconvenienced Superman and Wonder Woman, slightly embarrassed the GLs, pushed Cyborg away, and slowed down Flash a bit.

By the end of the encounter the League is chillin, and haven't even thrown a punch yet. Batman even managed to get out of her choking him on his own. In fact the whole League got out of their situations on their own.

It's more accurate to say that she annoyed the League before they even decided to throw a punch. I personally don't see the issue here.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

I'm with Superlad, I don't see anything wrong with how Mera handled the League in those scans.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Did she take them down though? Seems like she momentarily inconvenienced Superman and Wonder Woman, slightly embarrassed the GLs, pushed Cyborg away, and slowed down Flash a bit.

By the end of the encounter the League is chillin, and haven't even thrown a punch yet. Batman even managed to get out of her choking him on his own. In fact the whole League got out of their situations on their own.

It's more accurate to say that she annoyed the League before they even decided to throw a punch. I personally don't see the issue here.
    Superlad93 I wish I didn't see an issue with it but I do. She took care of them pretty easily and they made sure to tell the readers that she was weak and could only imagined what she could have done at full strength ( my own words but that's what they implied) . I shouldn't be so surprised though because not that long ago Aquaman and Mera mopped up the floor with Superman. I guess it's what is to be expected nowadays.

https://comicnewbies.com/2017/07/06/...eague-rebirth/
    Last edited by W8IN4KAL-EL; 07-11-2017 at 12:40 AM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

But she didn't "take care" of literally anyone....not even Batman. She momentarily inconvenienced everyone, and they never even fought back. They tried to talk to her mostly. I'd imagine if she was at "full power" she'd momentarily inconvenience them until they decide to actual retaliate and end the conflict.

Really can't stress enough that her actions amounted to a momentary inconvenience at the very best.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But she didn't "take care" of literally anyone....not even Batman. She momentarily inconvenienced everyone, and they never even fought back. They tried to talk to her mostly. I'd imagine if she was at "full power" she'd momentarily inconvenience them until they decide to actual retaliate and end the conflict.

Really can't stress enough that her actions amounted to a momentary inconvenience at the very best.
    I will take that 'with a grain of salt' as they say.

BANNED

Even if she was written as more powerful than the League, so what?

As long as they handle it right, it isn't an issue if they take the character in that direction.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There's not many people who Mera CAN'T take down. She's a force of nature!

She didn't actually defeat the entire JL here, though.

Well she is very, very powerful, at the very least on level with any given leaguer but Superman, but she did not defeated the league or venture hurt them except for their pride. Anyone can punch the JL, I mean pretty much every arc starts with someone beating them before being they can turn the tables, the only difference is she is a good girl and didn't need to be beaten.

Spectacular Member

Yeah I had no problems either, Mera's no slouch trust me lol, but they weren't exactly injured or in distress, she just took them more by surprise, they weren't exactly trying to fight her, more calm her down.
    Although I've always wanted to see a well written fight between her and Diana, although I think ultimately Diana would deal with her pretty comfortably providing it was on dry land and vice versa in an open sea.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Seriously, the only Leaguer who was in real trouble was Flash. Dehydration is no joke. Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, the GLs, and Batman were all temporarily taken out of play. Nothing more.

It's a nice display of power and intelligence from Mera, plus an example of a comic book trope that's decades old: the idea that water-based heroes and villains are virtually unbeatable in their native environment when fighting non-aquatic characters. For a time, Marvel Comics specifically declared that Namor was "invincible" in the water. He wasn't really. He was just in his native environment and knew how to take full advantage of it, whereas non-aquatic characters are at a distinct disadvantage in an environment so alien to them.

The only problem I have with this moment is what she did to the GLs. This idea that Lantern rings can be so easily removed NEEDS to die in a fire. Once upon a time (like a few years ago) GL rings were protected by their auto-shields and it was almost impossible to remove them. Then suddenly Batman's plucking Hal's ring off his finger in New 52 Justice League, Killer Frost is overwhelming their defenses, which are designed to protect them against the vacuum of space, and now Mera can pluck a ring off their fingers by coating the inside with water?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Seriously, the only Leaguer who was in real trouble was Flash. Dehydration is no joke. Superman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, the GLs, and Batman were all temporarily taken out of play. Nothing more.

It's a nice display of power and intelligence from Mera, plus an example of a comic book trope that's decades old: the idea that water-based heroes and villains are virtually unbeatable in their native environment when fighting non-aquatic characters. For a time, Marvel Comics specifically declared that Namor was "invincible" in the water. He wasn't really. He was just in his native environment and knew how to take full advantage of it, whereas non-aquatic characters are at a distinct disadvantage in an environment so alien to them.

The only problem I have with this moment is what she did to the GLs. This idea that Lantern rings can be so easily removed NEEDS to die in a fire. Once upon a time (like a few years ago) GL rings were protected by their auto-shields and it was almost impossible to remove them. Then suddenly Batman's plucking Hal's ring off his finger in New 52 Justice League, Killer Frost is overwhelming their defenses, which are designed to protect them against the vacuum of space, and now Mera can pluck a ring off their fingers by coating the inside with water?
    Yes, the GL aren't supposed to come off so easily. I have one question, does Superman and Wonder Woman even need air?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I mean they were in the middle of the ocean, Mera's domain

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Yes, the GL aren't supposed to come off so easily. I have one question, does Superman and Wonder Woman even need air?
    Tends to vary from story to story.

Superman either doesn't need air at all or he can somehow hold his breath for an absurdly long time, since he so frequently flies across interstellar distances unassisted by technology.

Wonder Woman is even harder to pin down since writers just LOVE being inconsistent with her powers. In some stories she can fly through space just like Superman, and in others she can't.

It seems fair to assume that they can both at least go quite a while without air. Far longer than, say, Batman could. So, yeah, being trapped in those water bubbles shouldn't have been a big problem for them. And it wasn't, obviously. They blasted out of it in fairly short order. At best, the bubbles momentarily disoriented them.

I really loved seeing Diana asking Mera to join them. I loved how she was able to explain the importance of the Watchtower to Mera. Good display of her diplomatic skills there. Also nice to see Batman backing her up on that. Really, this was a good issue for showing respect to ALL the League. Mera, from one description of Batman from Arthur, knows that she should take him seriously and should try to disrupt his "dangerous mind?" Very cool.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I agree the rings came off too easily, but I don't have much of a problem with the rest of it. It may have been slightly gratuitous to have her attack each one, but in all honesty her powers pretty much allow her to do it. She could dehydrate half of them without much effort and that would be that.