View Poll Results: Who was the first (former) Star-Spangled Kid you ever read about?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sylvester Pemberton (original Golden Age Star-Spangled Kid; later Skyman)

32 50.00%
  • Courtney Whitmore (later changed her name to Stargirl)

30 46.88%
  • M'gann M'orzz / Megan Morse (Miss Martian)

1 1.56%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

1 1.56%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This was mine (as a reprint in one of the DC Digests):

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Incredible Member

The first I *read* was Courtney Whitmore. The one I *prefer* is definitely Sly Pemberton (I have a deep rooted love for all of the original INFINITY INC)

Cheers.

James.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

The original! from Infinity Inc.

Sylvester Pemberton in JSA stuf

Currently,
    * Courtney Whitmore (later changed her name to Stargirl) leads with 20 votes
    * Sylvester Pemberton (original Golden Age Star-Spangled Kid; later Skyman) has 16 votes

Since the last check,
    * Courtney Whitmore (later changed her name to Stargirl) is still in the lead with 21 votes now
    (up one vote from last check), but
    * Sylvester Pemberton (original Golden Age Star-Spangled Kid; later Skyman) has made it to 20 votes
    (an increase of four votes)

Also worth noting:
    * M'gann M'orzz / Megan Morse (Miss Martian) now has 1 vote

No change in the numbers at present.
    (But figured after about seven months it was worth bumping this up to see if anything happens.)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wouldn't have worded it the way you did, but . . . Sylvester in Justice League of America #102 (1972) for me as well.
    I was 3 then. I wouldn't go on to become a collector of Justice League comics until around age 4 or 5. And I found this team-up (100-102) notoriously difficult to find. It was one of the last I found to complete my JLA collection before I lost my collection young in a let's just not go there story.

So for me I think it must have been the Super Squad appearances or other JSA appearances in All-Star Comics. I remember really loving the Super Squad and the JSA back then to the degree that E-Two Robin and Huntress (and to a very slightly lesser degree Syl Pemberton SS Kid) were sentimental favorites to me. I was crushed to lose those guys in the Crisis and so nonchalantly too. It felt like an afterthought. I hated losing Syl too, even though he was in his less popular Skyman identity (less popular with me anyway) then.

Every time there's a tease or mention of any of those three I just go nuts for it. I was crazy about those Jerry Ordway drawn "Earth Two" issues during the latter part of Johns' run on JSA, when Gog sent Power Girl "home."

Man, I miss Earth-Two and the JSA!

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    . . . Every time there's a tease or mention of any of those three I just go nuts for it. I was crazy about those Jerry Ordway drawn "Earth Two" issues during the latter part of Johns' run on JSA, when Gog sent Power Girl "home."

Man, I miss Earth-Two and the JSA!
    Technically, wouldn't that have been "during the latter part of Johns' run on Justice Society of America"?
    To me, the JSA run was the issues that came out before Infinite Crisis and ended with issue #87 in 2006.

After that, we got the post-Infinite Crisis relaunch of Justice Society of America that started at the end of 2006 that gave us the fuster-cluck over-extended lineup where EVERYBODY becomes a "legacy member" and marked the downfall of that franchise.

To me "JSA" means that first series which Johns was involved with, not the latter one (which suffered its fair share of indignities towards the end).

I wouldn't have worded it the way you did, but . . . Sylvester in Justice League of America #102 (1972) for me as well.
    Likewise! One of my favorite JLA/JSA team-ups—with the Seven Soldiers of Victory. With not less than two Oliver Queens!
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.

Boisterously Confused

Sly-man* for me! A reprint of the Seven Soliders' dust up with Black Star and his gangster lackies, spread across Justice League of America #s 111 and 112 (two cover-to-cover stellar issues BTW).

I loved the way that SSK and Stripsey had coded maneuvers they would execute; it made me wonder if Young Justice's recurring "Maneuver 7" was a deliberate homage. I also wonder if the writers were in anyway consistent about what those play signals meant, or if they just continually threw out random letter-number combos?

*pun: not a typo

From last month:
    No change in the numbers at present.
    (But figured after about seven months it was worth bumping this up to see if anything happens.)
    And I guess that did the trick, because at last check we had
    * Courtney Whitmore (later changed her name to Stargirl) = 26 votes (+ 5)
    * Sylvester Pemberton (original Golden Age Star-Spangled Kid; later Skyman) = 24 votes (+ 4)
    * M'gann M'orzz/Megan Morse (Miss Martian) = 1 vote (no change)

Sometime over the past few months, Sylvester caught up to Courtney!
    * Courtney Whitmore (later Stargirl) = 26 votes (no change)
    * Sylvester Pemberton (original Golden Age Star-Spangled Kid; later Skyman) = 26 votes (+2)
    * M'gann M'orzz/Megan Morse (Miss Martian) = 1 vote (no change)

Spectacular Member

Miss Courtney Elizabeth Whitmore was the first Star-Spangled Kid that I read about

At last check we had
    * Courtney Whitmore (later changed her name to Stargirl) = 28 votes
    * Sylvester Pemberton (original Golden Age Star-Spangled Kid; later Skyman) = 27 votes
    * M'gann M'orzz/Megan Morse (Miss Martian) = still with 1 vote