Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Betting this will be gated behind one of Marvel's "buy the regular cover at 200% qty of X an you can order as many copies as you want" incentive programs.

Weren't linewide lenticular variants one of the precursors to DC's fall?

On the other side of the fence, Foil (but at least just for Metal). I feel like we should start expecting chromium, die-cut, glow in the dark, etc, covers soon.
    The owner of the shop I go to said he wouldn't be getting any because the requirements are ridiculous. He said he can order as many of the lenticular covers from DC as he wants. I want Marvel's lenticular covers but because of their ridiculous order requirements I assume there wont be that many available.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    The owner of the shop I go to said he wouldn't be getting any because the requirements are ridiculous. He said he can order as many of the lenticular covers from DC as he wants. I want Marvel's lenticular covers but because of their ridiculous order requirements I assume there wont be that many available.

That's my understanding of some of the stores I frequently visit

It's just too much of a bother

dc seem to do well with variants as do some indies

I see loads of marvel stacked up so I think they have wised up on it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/35809-marv...retailers.html

This might be among the most disappointing news possible. When they first announced the gif images, I assumed they were the main covers. Then I found out they were variants, which kind of ruined the point somewhat, but seemed at least interesting (I would get it for more select titles). Now I'm seeing that they aren't even covers that are all that convenient to get because stores would have to order more than what they are able to sell just to get them.

I had somewhere between two and four that I thought about getting, now it looks like that number will be a nice firm zero. Why can't they just charge slightly more for the lenticular cover but let you order them if you want?
    I believe this is the complete list for the ordering requirements for lenticular variants solicited in AUG17 Previews.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...rvel-legacy-1/

Marvel has been using this tactic for a while now and it's one of the things that retailers like to complain about when it comes to Marvel. Customers come in wanting to buy/preorder the variants, retailer can't get it for them unless they charge much higher prices because of the qualifiers. The lenticular variants just happened to be pretty high profile so the practice is being spotlighted now.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 08-04-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    That's my understanding of some of the stores I frequently visit

It's just too much of a bother

dc seem to do well with variants as do some indies

I see loads of marvel stacked up so I think they have wised up on it ?
    He doesn't order nearly as much Marvel titles that he used to.

https://www.newsarama.com/35809-marv...retailers.html

This might be among the most disappointing news possible. When they first announced the gif images, I assumed they were the main covers. Then I found out they were variants, which kind of ruined the point somewhat, but seemed at least interesting (I would get it for more select titles). Now I'm seeing that they aren't even covers that are all that convenient to get because stores would have to order more than what they are able to sell just to get them.

I had somewhere between two and four that I thought about getting, now it looks like that number will be a nice firm zero. Why can't they just charge slightly more for the lenticular cover but let you order them if you want?
    They're literally copying DC.
    DC had lenticular covers recently for the Button crossover and they were pretty well received.

Now Marvel's deciding to do it too but x1000. jfc
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    He doesn't order nearly as much Marvel titles that he used to.
    I hear the same

DC shifts lots and idw do very well too

Ultimate Member

As much as I like a good CompleX thread (I'd be happy to participate in this conversation too, particularly about the pluses and minuses of Decimation), aren't we a bit off topic?
    Folks are tired of books getting attacked that have nothing to do with a situation.

Blaming Michael B Jordan or Moon Girl or Falcon for the state of FF is annoying.

Yes you got fans who will buy that book and criers who will make every excuse to not buy it. Yet lead the charge in yelling for it.

As for the topic at hand-the issue is for stores is some OVER CHARGE THE HECK out of those covers and others charge cover price.

So you get a case of for those who shop around be it online or others stores-they are going for the LOWEST price. So you end up with stores that have a bunch and others that don't.

Take Savage Dragon #225 the XXX cover. Good luck in find it here. Store sold out of that cover and even the others. Online aside from Midtown Comics everyone else is charging blood money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Folks are tired of books getting attacked that have nothing to do with a situation.

Blaming Michael B Jordan or Moon Girl or Falcon for the state of FF is annoying.

Yes you got fans who will buy that book and criers who will make every excuse to not buy it. Yet lead the charge in yelling for it.

As for the topic at hand-the issue is for stores is some OVER CHARGE THE HECK out of those covers and others charge cover price.

So you get a case of for those who shop around be it online or others stores-they are going for the LOWEST price. So you end up with stores that have a bunch and others that don't.

Take Savage Dragon #225 the XXX cover. Good luck in find it here. Store sold out of that cover and even the others. Online aside from Midtown Comics everyone else is charging blood money for it.
    It's not attacking those books to point out the Marvel sales argument is Bullshit. I'm not saying cancel any book for the FF I'm just saying Marvel excuse it FOS and they should own the real reason.

Disappointing to hear that the fancy covers are a carrot used to leverage stores into buying more of the regular comics than something actually intended for the readers.

Do we know what the vanilla covers are yet?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

We do for October, yeah, through the solicits.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The problem there is Marvel's qualifiers for the variants. For some stores, overcharging for the variants is the only way they can recoup their costs.

For example, Invincible Iron Man requires a 200% order increase in order to qualify for the lenticular variant. If you only have 10 people buying the book and all of them want the lenticular variants, then you'd have to order 20 copies of the regular variant (that you know you won't be able to sell) and 10 copies of the lenticular variant to keep your customers happy. Who's gonna pay for those 20 copies of the regular cover? Selling the lenticular variants at cover isn't gonna be enough to pay for your costs. At 50% discount, you need to sell at 1.5x cover price in order to recoup costs. To actually make the same profit as just selling 10 copies, you'd need to sell the lenticulars at 2x cover price.

Make no mistake, comic shops would love to be able to sell as many of these Legacy lenticular variants to their customers as possible. The Marvel Legacy #1 Quesada Lenticular Variant topped the advance order charts after Marvel removed the gating/percentage requirement.

However, these qualifiers on the other Legacy lenticular variants is akin to DC requiring retailers to buy ~200K of the regular Batman cover and ~130K of regular Flash cover before they're allowed to buy any of the lenticular variants.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by Ianbarreilles View Post
    Thats ridiculous to claim that the ending of secret wars isn't a good enough reason for reed and his family to be missing.

And you're making it seem as if the roles that characters like Johnny Storm, and Ben Grimm and victor von doom are in currently that somehow that isn't enough? that's silly.

They're doing something with the characters and acknowledging their history and that's good enough.

And even if marvel didn't want anything related to the fantastic four to be in the comics anymore they wouldn't of allowed various writers to use characters like Ben Grimm and johmny Storm and victor von doom, X-men fans claimed for a very long time that they were trying to get rid of the X-men in the comics or kill them off and replace them with the inhumans or even put them in their own separate earth away from the rest of the marvel superheroes, and none of that ever happened.
    The fact is FF had sales in the 30K range prior to their cancellation. Marvel currently allows titles to fall in the teens and keep them around. that is all i need to know to tell me Marvel canned them because of Fox.
    Marvel and DC comics are no different than the food at McDonalds. It will fill you up but in the end bad for your health. Read more independent publishers. Get away from the corporate homogenous cookie cutter fast food comics.