Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Lol, DC just announced a glow-in-the-dark cover for a new Deadman mini. I feel like we should start making a checklist of 90s cover gimmicks. XD
    Well, given that Marvel havent told us anything about what is supposed to change the entire industry forever; we could do that while we wait.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, that's what they showed us in the announcement the other day.
    Did that announcement say that the covers for these issues would change the comic industry? No, it did not.

We'll have to wait for the books to come out to judge how "industry changing" they are or aren't (I'll take any such hyperbole with a big grain of salt) but in the meantime it's just idiotic to pounce on every single marketing move from Marvel with "Oh, so this is how Legacy is gonna change the industry?! Hmmm??"

Fantastic Member

I find it a bit of bad taste that someone who's a fan of Captain Marvel, who is being propped up by DisMarvel simply due to a future MCU movie, is defending the downplaying (or downright burying) of the FF franchise for the same reason. The very reason FF fans are missing out, is the exact reason Captain Marvel keeps getting chance after chance. Like, you're getting your fave month after month DESPITE low sales, solo after solo for probably a few more years at least. Just enjoy your privilege.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Lol, DC just announced a glow-in-the-dark cover for a new Deadman mini. I feel like we should start making a checklist of 90s cover gimmicks. XD
    Honestly, while they are cover gimmicks, if they're done sparingly (I know, they probably won't be), they can still be fun. The tribute covers are the perfect place for lenticular covers, for example, so you can compare them to the tribute.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Betting this will be gated behind one of Marvel's "buy the regular cover at 200% qty of X an you can order as many copies as you want" incentive programs.

Weren't linewide lenticular variants one of the precursors to DC's fall?

On the other side of the fence, Foil (but at least just for Metal). I feel like we should start expecting chromium, die-cut, glow in the dark, etc, covers soon.
    Plus there haven't been any linewide variant themes since New 52/DC You ended. The closest thing I can think of is the variant covers for the Rebirth issues of individual titles, with the main character standing on the new DC logo. On the one hand they were cool if you were into the theme, while on the other hand it just screams GIMMICK! Very Your Mileage May Vary

DC really dropped the ball on the covers for The Button. They must have known the legal situation over the smiley face for overseas covers, yet put it on them for the first two issues anyway, so that there are three covers for them (lenticular, non-lenticular and worldwide).

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Did that announcement say that the covers for these issues would change the comic industry? No, it did not.

We'll have to wait for the books to come out to judge how "industry changing" they are or aren't (I'll take any such hyperbole with a big grain of salt) but in the meantime it's just idiotic to pounce on every single marketing move from Marvel with "Oh, so this is how Legacy is gonna change the industry?! Hmmm??"
    Pretty much nothing Marvel has announced since the covers is industry changing, outside being able to actually manage to have less change and impact after Secret Empire and apparently Generations than Secret Wars did, which was just about nothing. Everything is still the same outside Punisher donning some War Machine armor, Deadpool breaking bad again and Sam going back to Falcon, and nothing the majority of Marvel fans have asked for is happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Pretty much nothing Marvel has announced since the covers is industry changing, outside being able to actually manage to have less change and impact after Secret Empire and apparently Generations than Secret Wars did, which was just about nothing. Everything is still the same outside Punisher donning some War Machine armor, Deadpool breaking bad again and Sam going back to Falcon, and nothing the majority of Marvel fans have asked for is happening.
    I would be very skeptical of believing "what the majority of Marvel fans" have asked for actually is.

Every disgruntled fan wants to think that what makes them unhappy is what makes everyone else unhappy and the things they want changed is what everyone else also wants changed.

If it's about the return of classic characters, we already know that Iron Man's Legacy storyline is about the search for Tony Stark, that Thor's storyline is about the death of Jane Foster Thor with Odinson assumedly returning to prominence. That's leaves Bruce and Steve and it's a dead certainty that Steve will be back and it also seems like a lock that Bruce will be on his way back as well. Will the FF return? Unknown. But there's a lot about Legacy we don't know yet.

I would be very skeptical of believing "what the majority of Marvel fans" have asked for actually is.

Every disgruntled fan wants to think that what makes them unhappy is what makes everyone else unhappy and the things they want changed is what everyone else also wants changed.

If it's about the return of classic characters, we already know that Iron Man's Legacy storyline is about the search for Tony Stark, that Thor's storyline is about the death of Jane Foster Thor with Odinson assumedly returning to prominence. That's leaves Bruce and Steve and it's a dead certainty that Steve will be back and it also seems like a lock that Bruce will be on his way back as well. Will the FF return? Unknown. But there's a lot about Legacy we don't know yet.
    True but if one was to look at the situation after Secret Empire to what was before it you can easily say there's very little difference, which makes anyone wonder why they should care about the end of Secret Empire and any of Generations if things appear the same. Just making some fancy covers and sticking high numbers back onto most titles is not industry changing either.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Plus there haven't been any linewide variant themes since New 52/DC You ended. The closest thing I can think of is the variant covers for the Rebirth issues of individual titles, with the main character standing on the new DC logo. On the one hand they were cool if you were into the theme, while on the other hand it just screams GIMMICK! Very Your Mileage May Vary

DC really dropped the ball on the covers for The Button. They must have known the legal situation over the smiley face for overseas covers, yet put it on them for the first two issues anyway, so that there are three covers for them (lenticular, non-lenticular and worldwide).
    Every single issue of Rebirth has a variant/cover B (All-Star Batman even has a cover C). There's no unifying theme every month but they do have variants. However, I do respect and appreciate that DC makes their variants open to order with no qualifications so they're easy to acquire and they sell for just cover price. I also appreciated that Marvel made the Secret Empire #1-9 Andrea Sorrentino Hydra Heroes variants open to order so they were easy to acquire at cover price. Not so much that they made the Secret Empire #10 Hydra Heroes 1:25 so now I'll either need to pony up $15-25 or my obsessive compulsive tendencies are gonna nag me for that missing cover.

Technically, there are four covers for both Batman/Flash #21: lenticular, non-lenticular, international and their usual Cover B variant. Batman/Flash #22 has three: lenticular, non-lenticular and cover B. But yeah, probably really annoying for folks outside North America.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Just what is the majority asking for and where is this poll?

As for Secret Wars being about nothing, it sure did garner a lot of interest = sales. Even the big selling issues were generating 2nd and sometimes third printing so there were fans/buyers putting their money on the table. There were a lot of conversations in the issues leading up to it in New Avengers.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-13-2017 at 07:21 AM.

If that's the case shouldn't this be called The Road to Legacy instead??
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Just what is the majority asking for and where is this poll?

As for Secret Wars being about nothing, it sure did garner a lot of interest = sales. Even the big selling issues were generating 2nd and sometimes third printing so there were fans/buyers putting their money on the table. it sure did generate a lot of conversations in the issues leading up to it in New Avengers.
    Oh yeah I agree with that, it was the only event where I bought just about all the titles of because I loved the premise, but I was probably kind of hoping that at least some of it would stick around afterwards, which it didn't. Secret Wars ended with the Marvel universe exactly as it was save for Doom having a pretty face, Reed and Sue off the table and tiny handful of alternate reality characters now in what was effectively 616 2.0, no matter how much Marvel execs were screaming about it being a new reality. Legacy certainly seems to be exactly the same, if not even worse in that department, given how much the same the Marvel universe looks to be after SE and Generations as it did before.

As for what the majority want, it's not an easy answer I know, but calling such tiny changes and pretty covers industry changing and then expecting most fans to be happy with that was pretty delusional on Marvel's part, especially when they know what a lot of fans want is to have the Fantastic Four back. But I suppose as long as Marvel writers continue to lack the balls to stand up to Ike Perlmutter, the petty man child who is the sole reason why we have this edict in place, I doubt that's going to change.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTie-chan View Post
    If that's the case shouldn't this be called The Road to Legacy instead??
    If it were, you can be sure people would find a reason to complain about that too.

BANNED

Oh yeah I agree with that, it was the only event where I bought just about all the titles of because I loved the premise, but I was probably kind of hoping that at least some of it would stick around afterwards, which it didn't. Secret Wars ended with the Marvel universe exactly as it was save for Doom having a pretty face, Reed and Sue off the table and tiny handful of alternate reality characters now in what was effectively 616 2.0, no matter how much Marvel execs were screaming about it being a new reality. Legacy certainly seems to be exactly the same, if not even worse in that department, given how much the same the Marvel universe looks to be after SE and Generations as it did before.

As for what the majority want, it's not an easy answer I know, but calling such tiny changes and pretty covers industry changing and then expecting most fans to be happy with that was pretty delusional on Marvel's part, especially when they know what a lot of fans want is to have the Fantastic Four back. But I suppose as long as Marvel writers continue to lack the balls to stand up to Ike Perlmutter, the petty man child who is the sole reason why we have this edict in place, I doubt that's going to change.
    If all the fans who say they need a FF book were buying the book in the first place, it wouldn't have been cancelled.

As for standing up to Perlmutter, the next time you go to work tell your boss how much they suck and how they need to start doing things your way. See how that goes.

And as for the changes from Secret Wars, saying that Doom "just has a pretty face" ignores that the fact there's much more to Doom than a cosmetic change and that there's a whole series that is exploring Doom's transformation from villain to hero. Infamous Iron Man wouldn't have happened without SW and it's been a great book and something we've never seen with Doom before.

And having that "handful of alternate reality characters" - like Miles, Old Man Logan, and Jimmy Hudson - in the MU are all notable additions. It's not like they're background players.

I don't know about you but I don't want sweeping changes to the entire Marvel universe, where everything is rebooted and old continuity has to be rethreaded into a new status quo. None of the changes that fans say they want, such as character returns, need a reboot in order to happen.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 07-13-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

OK,I see what you're saying now. You're right. Ike Perlmutter has them spooked in the publishing end of Marvel. It's really a shame because forces inside of the Disney power structure were able to cut him out of influencing the films.

And as for change, we got the same thing with the first Secret Wars. Spider-Man got his black suit but eventually went back. She Hulk joined the FF but Ben did come back. Change in serialized fiction like comics can be an illusion. You're going to have fans who resent the new (* cough* RiRi Williams) and others who embrace it. Marvel tries to juggle the desires of both. It's never going to please everyone.

I'm an older fan and I get cranky about the Fantastic Four not being around and kind of resent that low selling titles like Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel are allowed to continue. That's on the print side. We don't know digital sales. But at the same time I realize as a business they have to grow their customer base. We older fans aren't going to be around forever.

Professor Warren has said all that I would have said about Doom. For the most part, I think Bendis has been doing some interesting things there. I kind of hope it becomes the new status quo and he doesn't go back to being a straight up villain, esp if rumors are true that Mark Waid will be writing an Iron Man title with him as Iron Man's main villain.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 07-13-2017 at 08:09 AM.