Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #3 Oct 1972
    "Mark of the Mace!"
    Can even Luke Cage's unbreakable skin stand up to the bone-crushing power of the man called Mace?

See Cage's powers and stamina pushed to their limits like never before.

Script by Archie Goodwin, pencils by George Tuska, inks by Billy Graham.

consider if a thread bump. but I was suddenly curious about the Heroes for Hire business model. I wonder why it wasn't adopted/imitated in other countries. well, I guess there's Symkaria's mercenary team(s). I don't really understand Symkaria. do they export anything. anyways, I wonder if there are costumed heroes selling their services; elsewhere in the world. Jessica Drew was working as a private eye/bounty hunter(?) or something when she was brought in to aid the H4H (90s version of the team). I'd like to see other Heroes for Hire, like, in Italy, Japan, etc.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    consider if a thread bump. but I was suddenly curious about the Heroes for Hire business model. I wonder why it wasn't adopted/imitated in other countries. well, I guess there's Symkaria's mercenary team(s). I don't really understand Symkaria. do they export anything. anyways, I wonder if there are costumed heroes selling their services; elsewhere in the world. Jessica Drew was working as a private eye/bounty hunter(?) or something when she was brought in to aid the H4H (90s version of the team). I'd like to see other Heroes for Hire, like, in Italy, Japan, etc.
    Expand the franchise? Yeah, I could see that happening, and considering that a lot of other countries in the Marvel Universe have better working relationships with their superhuman heroes, it wouldn't be entirely unexpected.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Heroes for Hire #5 Nov 1992
    Into the Depths! (Broken Bonds, Part 1)

The Heroes for Hire agree to assist Sersi in her attempt to

stop Ghaur from forming an Anti-Mind of Eternals and Deviants.

Script by John Ostrander, pencils by Pascual Ferry, inks by Jaime Mendoza

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    TOTALLY worth it!

Peace
    Never read it.
    But i remember the ads of Heroes for Hire by Ostrander in other comic books and thinking it looked like a cool comic book.
    Will have to get the TPBīs as soon as i can.

BANNED

Heroes for Hire #6 Dec 1997
    Deviants Attack! (Broken Bonds, Part 2)
    The timely arrival of Warlord Kro and

Ant-Man, who is revealed as a behind-the-scenes member of Heroes for Hire since issue #1,

and the unexpected creation of the Dark Angel, assist the Heroes for Hire against Ghaur.

Script by John Ostrander, pencils by Pascual Ferry, inks by Jaime Mendoza

BANNED

just my personal preference. but I think that they should have used Tigra instead of White Tiger.
    Marvel comics can do that now in 2018

the series got really far away from the earlier concept when the stories started focusing more on White Tiger/Knights of Wundagore and Thena/Eternals. it's great that they were telling Avenger-y stories. but that eventually hurt the book; when the classic Avengers team returned from Onslaught-verse. it had no distinctive voice of its own. my favorite issues tended to be smaller in scale and centered around New York; like when they went after the Punisher or Dane investigated the corporate dragon. even the She-Hulk/Cage date was fun; goofy art aside. but that Acolytes/Wundagore stuff should have stayed in Quicksilver's book (w/ maybe a cameo by Heroes for Hire).
    I disagree with the Acolytes/Wundagore stuff should have stayed in Quicksilver's book, because I love the shared universe concept which means exchanging places and rogues galleries among the marvel superheroes or marvel races mutants, eternals, inhumans etc.

BANNED

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #4 Dec 1972
    "Cry Fear...Cry Phantom!"
    Luke Cage is awakened from his sleep by a nightmarish apparition.

Only problem is, this Hero for Hire doesn't believe in ghosts.

However, Cage will have to come to grips with his beliefs when he confronts the Phantom of 42nd Street.

Script by Archie Goodwin, art by Billy Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Marvel comics can do that now in 2018

I disagree with the Acolytes/Wundagore stuff should have stayed in Quicksilver's book, because I love the shared universe concept which means exchanging places and rogues galleries among the marvel superheroes or marvel races mutants, eternals, inhumans etc.
    fair enough. to say it another way, I felt that the story went on a little long. and, hindsight being 20/20, there were other stories that I would have liked to see in the limited time that the series was available. a lot of my problem with the story was that the character I liked spent much of the story mopey and devolved.

my ideal lineup would have been

Iron Fist
    Spectrum (maybe in a field-leader position & replacing Thena as the energy-wielding heavy hitter)
    Luke Cage
    She-Hulk (I'm also good with her continuing to be full-time lawyer part-time muscle)
    Black Knight
    Hercules (once he's done with rehab)
    Ant-Man
    Tigra (replacing White Tiger or, if you prefer, replacing Spider-woman)

Recurring: Spider-woman and Shang Chi

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Iron Fist
    Spectrum (maybe in a field-leader position & replacing Thena as the energy-wielding heavy hitter)
    Luke Cage
    She-Hulk (I'm also good with her continuing to be full-time lawyer part-time muscle)
    Black Knight
    Ant-Man

Hmm, that roster somewhat reminds me of Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers, but that might just be the thought of Spectrum, Luke Cage, and She-Hulk on the same team again. All in all, it looks and sounds pretty solid.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #3 Oct 1972
    "Mark of the Mace!"
    Can even Luke Cage's unbreakable skin stand up to the bone-crushing power of the man called Mace?

See Cage's powers and stamina pushed to their limits like never before.

Script by Archie Goodwin, pencils by George Tuska, inks by Billy Graham.
    Gideon Mace is a great villain.
    Is beyond me why he have not apeared in more Marvel stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, that roster somewhat reminds me of Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers, but that might just be the thought of Spectrum, Luke Cage, and She-Hulk on the same team again. All in all, it looks and sounds pretty solid.
    well that team was atypical enough to be like a Heroes for Hire team, to me. they did have a hotline.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Gideon Mace is a great villain.
    Is beyond me why he have not apeared in more Marvel stories.
    he's had a tough time since having the "hand" removed.

Iron Fist
    Luke Cage
    Black Knight
    Ant-Man

A team more than worthy of a world without Avengers and FF.

Peace