Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does a "SPIDER-MAN: THE END" Story look like to you?

Spider-Man Fans,

To me - comics are the storytelling medium that is forever trapped in its second act. We as an audience will not ever receive the "startling" conclusion to our hero's journey - regardless of the hero - as these series are properties and properties shall not die.

But in my heart of hearts - I've always wanted a Spider-Man story, a maxiseries that has Peter Parker riding off into the sunset, giving us a final send off. During Marvel's THE END publishing phase - Spider-Man: Reign was released. The storyline divided fans, leaving some unsatisfied with the "final story" of Peter Parker.

Realistically, I know an artist can never please everyone and if you've read my posts on the previous board you know what my ideal Spider-Man: The End storyline would entail, but I am wondering - what would be YOUR ideal Spider-Man: The End ?

Thanks

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by arosenbarger View Post
    what would be YOUR ideal Spider-Man: The End ?

Thanks
    It may not be entirely about Peter, but Spider-Girl: The End published back in 2010 was the end of the classic story in my opinion. Just that final scene of the Parkers looking pretty content (well, ok, Peter looked a bit grumpy but I'll take what I can get) as Mayday finds love with someone that knows her completly was such a welcome relief after sitting through a month or so of OMIT.

Reign is quite good but I'd love to read a different take or two on the concept.

quite enjoyed Reign it's an interesting storyline, but for me the better take on Spider-Man The End came in the JMS arc "Happy Birthday" again set in the future. but having Spider-Man an outcast hunted by the police and then ultimately taken down in a hail of bullets, Sounds like an unhappy end but from the point of Peter Parker's tale, that end for him would be a relief, the people he's lost the friends and relationships that had been destroyed by his actions in and out of costume. it was a poignant glimpse at a possible end and brought closer to a tortured soul.

It's tough. One reason the How I Met Your Mother ending was so controversial is that endings come to define what the series is about.

If Peter Parker retires as Spider-Man, and uses his brains to make the world a better place, the series is about one thing.

If he dies violently unappreciated by the wider world, the series retroactively seems to be about something else.

With endings, a character with infinite possibility suddenly becomes one thing.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

All-New Member

The greatest stories of heroism rarely end with the hero riding off into the sunset. That last senseless act of self sacrifice is what makes the character the hero.

BANNED

Given just how tragic an ending most of his supporting cast have received, at the time not even realizing his secret identity before they're killed by one of his villains, I'd say it's only fair that Peter gets the same treatment. Not Spidey, But Peter. It was my argument when we had a similar thread three years ago, and I stand by it still today.

Someone close to Spider-Man makes a selfish decision that inadvertently leads to his death. Uncle Ben redux.

When we define people as either hero or villain it colors our expectations of their narrative future. Spider-Man in our minds is almost certainly a hero. But from a "real-world" perspective there is no cosmic force putting Spider-Man through his paces with a happy ending guaranteed.

So I just see Spider-Man as the protagonist. He's the central figure of the whole narrative and everything else revolves around or responds to him. And then you look at the total Spider-Man narrative to date. The good stuff, the classics, and the bad stuff.

I thought the Spider-Girl series went out with a fizzle rather than a bang, but I like that basic premise for a Spider-Man end story. I like the idea of him retiring, married to MJ, with a kid carrying on his legacy. After all of the hardships his years as Spidey threw at him, he (maybe more than any other hero) deserves a restful retirement.
    Nichols is my middle name...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Davis View Post
    I thought the Spider-Girl series went out with a fizzle rather than a bang
    If Marvel handle her with care this year, Spider-Verse will be the bang.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    If Marvel handle her with care this year, Spider-Verse will be the bang.
    Agreed. I was disappointed with how they ended Spider-Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Davis View Post
    I thought the Spider-Girl series went out with a fizzle rather than a bang, but I like that basic premise for a Spider-Man end story. I like the idea of him retiring, married to MJ, with a kid carrying on his legacy. After all of the hardships his years as Spidey threw at him, he (maybe more than any other hero) deserves a restful retirement.
    I don't think Peter is able to retire unless he gets permanently seriously injured or something. He's going to fight as long as he breathes.

Quote Originally Posted by CRuby28 View Post
    The greatest stories of heroism rarely end with the hero riding off into the sunset. That last senseless act of self sacrifice is what makes the character the hero.
    Always thought that was the anti-hero re: Breaking Bad, 100 Bullets, but Jesse Custer rode off into the sunset. I've always wanted a stored that reversed OMD, killed Aunt May, killed the Osborns, reunited Peter and MJ, and Peter quested to find his daughter with hints he and he family would lead a remote life in a town that would....somehow have crimes resolved

Peter defeats Mephisto, wins his marriage back, and his future is a version of Spider-Girl with a better ending. We don't need to see it in detail, just a glimpse.

This worked perfectly well for me....