Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Defenders #3 (Spoilers)

WOW!!!!

spoilers:
    Diamondback just Bane'd THE SHIT out of Iron Fist!!!
    end of spoilers lmfao

Also, love how drastic shifts in atmospheres that help it play out like a subsitute of the upcoming Netflix series.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Good retelling of Luke Cage's origin story, but an odd one. Seemed like a lot of real estate for very little reason, but it was fun in a good kind of Bendis way. I love Punisher's line when the guy said he didn't want to die this way. I like Bendis exploring DD's new secret identity issues. Soule's certainly touched on it (notably with Spider-Man), but it's good to see it with Luke Cage because it's such a dramatic difference from back when Bendis wrote Daredevil.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin705 View Post
    WOW!!!!

spoilers:
    Diamondback just Bane'd THE SHIT out of Iron Fist!!!
    end of spoilers lmfao

Also, love how drastic shifts in atmospheres that help it play out like a subsitute of the upcoming Netflix series.
    That's the vibe that I was getting from this issue as well, that it had the atmosphere of the Netflix series. As compared to some other titles, this one felt very intimate. The characters seemed to be in mundane situations where it seemed as though they were at a disadvantage. Initially, it seemed off in a way, since these are characters who in the past have taken on scores of worse situations pretty deftly. However, as the scene went on, you realized that these characters are more than a match for the situation. And the little tiny moments and details made these characters still seem strong.

For example, Black Cat's scene with Diamondback was a little off. Really, Diamondback and a bunch of hipster looking goons are going to scare her? But no, she handles them quite well and calls Diamondback's threat that he's five steps ahead of her. Again, it's small scale and intimate, but Black Cat showed a daring character.

I got the same vibe from the Punisher, Luke Cage, and Daredevil scene. Honestly, Matt and Luke could have easily dispatched Punisher (who's attempts to thwart Luke Cage were a little comical. Really, Frank carries a vial of acid?) But that suspicion over Daredevil's identity made the scene very intense.

As for the meeting between Diamondback and Iron Fist, I'll tend to disagree with other Iron Fist fans. While I think the scene was made to have Diamondback be a badass and that Danny's showing could have been stronger, I feel that his showing was still strong. That iron fist strike had to be one of the cleanest, most beautiful depictions of the iron fist ever (a true testament to Marquez's art). Before critics say that this is a character assassination of Danny, I say the jury is still out.

Finally, liked that retelling of Luke and Diamondback's shared history. Having regular people talk about it shows how close these heroes are to the streets.

In any case, great issue!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Stupid advert! Every mention of Diamondback on this page is linked to Diamondback.com, which makes the spoiler tag pointless! Same thing often happens whenever the word Amazon gets mentioned (not this time though, I guess the ad thing only does one site at a time), a word that probably comes up a lot on the Wonder Woman board.

Let's just stick to calling him Willis Stryker then

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Oh, man - this book is on fire! Bendis and Marquez are just killing it! I thought the method of retelling Diamondback's origin was really cool. It was a great way to convey a lot of expositional info while at the same time also show the neighborhood that the Defenders live in and the people they protect. I also loved the Punisher moment that seemed to be a homage to a scene in John Carpenter's Halloween where the skull on Frank's chest becomes slowly visible as he emerges from the shadows.

Bendis always meshes well with his collaborators and he's done great work with Marquez before but this title is really bringing out the best in both of them.

BANNED

I'm really loving this series so far. Diamondback is lethal. Great art. Good characterisation. And the way in which Cage & Stryker's origins are retold was really clever. Can't wait for Spider-Woman, Misty Kight or Moon Knight to make an appearance

BANNED

Love the art

Can't stand the endless panels of utter dribble that adds nothing to the story, it's classic bendis dragging 3 issues into 6 and it's so off putting.

Team needs more members and a HQ by the end of the first story.

Mighty Member

I know I'm reading a Bendis book when I somehow love it and hate it at the same time.

It'll be going great and then somebody has some awful quip or joke or OOC moment that ruins it for me, or I'll get endless pages of nothing, in this case Diamondbacks entire origin explained over several pages, only for him to pull me back in.

Reading Bendis comic's is like being stuck in an abusive relationship, and David marquez is the gift he gives me to come back to him every time because god DAMN is that man a genius!

BANNED

And I'm sorry but wtf how does Jessica not know punishers name.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    And I'm sorry but wtf how does Jessica not know punishers name.
    There's a lot of things that people assume are common knowledge that are not.

Fantastic Member

i wish we got more of punisher vs defenders. the panels of random talking people (though some looks like were lifted from the tv shows) felt like it was dragging forever. i bet its DD's turn to get heavily injured next issue.
    Last edited by daisetsu100; 07-14-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daisetsu100 View Post
    i wish we got more of punisher vs defenders. the panels of random talking people (though some looks like were lifted from the tv shows) felt like it was dragging forever. i bet its DD's turn to get heavily injured next issue.
    Yeah, the panels of the people talking seemed to drag on for a while. Though it was cool to get that street level view of the Luke Cage and William Stryker relationship, I realized that it was really convoluted. I kept on saying to myself, "Yep...........ok............got it, got it...........yeah...............alright........... ......ok...............wait what, this is still going on?"

The encounter between Punisher, Luke, and Daredevil was cool, but I felt as if the characters were meeting one another for the first time.

Oh yeah, loved the Luke and Jessica musing over Daredevil's identity. I have to say, Daredevil has always given off that "Gary" vibe .
    "I am a man of peace."

Wyllis, not William. William Stryker is from God Loves, Man Kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Wyllis, not William. William Stryker is from God Loves, Man Kills.
    Ha, thanks for that! Yeah, Diamondback already has me confused with Diamondback from Captain America. Don't want to add any more levels of confusion!

As a quick aside, my own thoughts as to how Diamondback has these powers? Something tells me that he inherited the Hood's powers. I get a vibe that Bendis is using a lot of his old ideas. Of course, I could be getting the wrong vibe, so again, apologies if I'm wrong here.
    "I am a man of peace."