Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman Issue 26 Discussion. SPOILERS

Uh oh. The art is at it's best Cute and at it's worst cartoonish. I don't think wonder woman art should cute or cartoonish.

As for the story I really hope her child hood doll doesn't come back as some sort of actualized persona in the present day.

I hated how they portrayed Etta Candy here. Clingy and boozy. Hell she even seemed out of sorts when she showed up outside Diana's debrief.

So the cover story for the military operation is a tech start up? The name Ul tatech seems clumsy. Why not ultra instead of ul ta. When I first saw ulta I thought they had miss spelled ultra.
    Last edited by Qwerty; 07-12-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Always Rakzo

Well, this wasn't exactly a particularly promising beginning. For one, I dislike some of the ideas like the forced backstory they give to Diana like how her people considered her weak just because she had a FRIKKING DOLL which pretty much reminds me of some parts from Meredith Finch's run (and we all know that's not a good thing). I'm glad that they made Etta get over the angst that Rucka created for her but at the same time, she got over it so fast that it just seems wrong, almost like this is not suited in the same timeline.

The highlight for me was the art. Huge fan of Andolfo and her vibrant characters. Other than that, this is decent at best and off at worst.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I'm glad that they made Etta get over the angst that Rucka created for her but at the same time, she got over it so fast that it just seems wrong, almost like this is not suited in the same timeline..
    Agreed. Etta in party girl mode was, as I described in my own thread for this issue, complete tonal whiplash. A lot of these instantaneous reconciliations seem to be going on in both books from the big two right now...maybe she can separate business and pleasure, you tell me.

Fun and lively beginning to the new creative mini-run.

I presume we'll get more flashbacks to Themyescrian life throughout the book going forward. This one did a lot to inform us why in this version of events Diana tried to shelter herself from emotion and build up her warrior resolve. Perhaps by the end of the arc, we get a sequence set in Thmyescria in the present where Diana's doll is uncovered by Hypollotia, or maybe we learn via further flashbacks Diana got the doll back during her childhood. Either way, cute and emotionally stirring.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 07-12-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Merged messages from other thread

Put spaces in my original text because for some reason it linked ulta to a cosmetics company and that was not my intention.

I agree with pretty much everything said here.

I read the issue quickly before work, but I certainly didn't love it. Etta's personality shifted completely. She got over Barbara Ann's disappearance incredibly fast. I really hope there's a reason for it (possibly drinking too much out of depression?), but if not it's pretty disappointing.

The doll bit wasn't horrible, and anytime Philippus appears I'm happy.

The ending with the bomb was pretty blah.

The art was really off for me. In parts I didn't mind it, but I just don't think Andolfo's style fits the series.

BANNED

Yeah this didn't do anything for me. It didn't connect with how Rucka's run ended, and so far it seems to heading down a path where we get to see a little too much of Diana failing... kinda like BvS Superman at the Congress bombing, which I am not that eager to see.
    Art is... decent, but it's not something that can really hold my attention.

All-New Member

I loved seeing the Amazons, not that keen on the whole idea that its somehow weak for a little girl to have a doll, but it was nice to still see the amazons and not have them vanish from the book once the search for Themiscyra was over.

Fantastic Member

Diana's behavior is off-putting. Does she really need to punch a guy's teeth out? Or grab some wisp of a kid just for standing at the door? I assume they're trying to show that she is getting ptsd from so much warfare, but I don't like it when she's so angsty.

There are some nice mysterious goings-on, but it also seemed a little slight.

Mighty Member

I quite enjoyed the art. Nice colours.

Not so sure on the light hearted resolution on what seemed like a rape attempt. Not so sure either if punching a potential rapist solves much in a refugee camp. But then an explosion took care of any reprisals... --Not exactly an issue of sheriff of babylon.

Bit strange how Diana grabs the guy in the lab as well. Not sure why that was. Lucky she got to drink alcohol and calm down, at a wedding where there happens to be a dynamite strapped underneath one of the tables...

A bit too much Looney toons for me. Think I'll wait for the upcoming Wonder Woman/Conan book instead.
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-12-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Mighty Member

The issue was light hearted and im curious to see where it goes. Art was really good. I'm glad to see were getting more of Diana in this than we got in Rucka's run.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 07-12-2017 at 11:52 AM.

BANNED

I thought it was a solid enough first issue for an arc. The faults others mentioned didn't really bother me that much.

I thought it worked well enough for a first issue. The tonal and story shift from Rucka is noticeable right off the bat, but there's several things here to like and not a whole lot to complain about for me, which is a real nice change from, well, how Wonder Woman creative team changes usually go.

I'm a wee bit apprehensive about Diana's status quo being so closely tied to the military now to the point that she's apparently spending all her free time doing missions for them, but I'm pretty sure that medical team she's with is gonna end up being evil or something so that'll be that lol.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I flipped through this really quick at the story. I dropped WW from my pull list until Robinson takes over to save a bit of money.

Was that general dude Diana sat with meant to be Darnell?

The art wasn't really a problem for me, it reminded me of Burnside Batgirl, loved Diana's black suit.

It appears the coughing Dr. Crawford planted the bomb at the behest of Dr. Jensen. The ants at the Picket seemed suspicious too. A whole military base moved because of ants was unbelievable. So was Diana's reaction to the guy passing out flyers.

Etta being so happy all of a sudden was weird, but it didn't strike me as alcohol related, unless of course the coffee she sipped wasn't really coffee. The lock box in little Diana's bedroom was also strange. Who's stealing from the Princess in a utopian society?

All in all I didn't dislike the issue, but it did feel radically different from the previous 25.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 07-12-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post

As for the story I really hope her child hood doll doesn't come back as some sort of actualized persona in the present day.
    I can see it, Magic brings the doll to life and is use as a weapon against Diana or the doll itself becomes possessive and wants to Diana keep playing with her instead of fighting wars and villains or fighting against super villains is considered playing so becomes a villain so she can play with Diana.