View Poll Results: Who was the first Starman from DC you ever read about?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Starman (Ted Knight- Adventure Comics #61, April 1941)

56 37.84%
  • "Starman" of 1950's (Bruce Wayne in 1957; later changed to Charles McNider)

2 1.35%
  • Mikaal (Michael) Thomas (1st Issue Special #12, March 1976)

0 0%
  • Prince Gavyn (Adventure Comics #467, January 1980)

5 3.38%
  • Will Payton (Starman #1, October 1988)

35 23.65%
  • David Knight (older son of Ted Knight; Starman #26, September 1990)

0 0%
  • Jack Knight (younger son of Ted / brother of David; Zero Hour: Crisis in Time #1, September 1994)

34 22.97%
  • Thom Kallor/Danny Blaine (Star Boy from LSH / also connected with the character in Kingdom Come)

14 9.46%
  • Farris Knight (Starman of the 853rd century; JLA #23, October 1998)

1 0.68%
  • Other (please specify in a separate post)

1 0.68%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who was the first Starman from DC you ever read about?

Who was the first Starman from DC you ever read about?

This should the majority of them (along with first appearances):
    * Golden Age Starman (Ted Knight - Adventure Comics #61, April 1941)
    * "Starman" of the 1950's (originally Bruce Wayne in Detective Comics #247, September 1957; later retconned into Dr. Charles McNider)
    * Mikaal (Michael) Thomas (1st Issue Special #12, March 1976)
    * Prince Gavyn (Adventure Comics #467, January 1980)
    * Will Payton (Starman #1, October 1988)
    * David Knight (older son of Ted Knight; Starman #26, September 1990)
    * Jack Knight (younger son of Ted / brother of David; Zero Hour: Crisis in Time #1, September 1994)
    * Thom Kallor/Danny Blaine (originally Star Boy from the Legion of Super-Heroes; first appeared in Adventure Comics #282, March 1961; also connected with the Starman character from Kingdom Come)
    * Farris Knight (Starman of the 853rd century; JLA #23, October 1998)
    Or was it a different version?

250px-JSofA1.jpg

been a long time since i read this gem of a (short-lived) series, but this was my introduction to virtually everybody in the JSA, starman included.

Jack Knight, just finished the first arc this week.

200px-Starman_modernage.jpg

Summer is when I catch up on a lot of comic reading. This summer I have been reading the JSA run in the late 90s and because of that picked up James Robinson's run on Starman. WOW I am so glad I did! I have not been able to put it down, I am around issue 40, and it is one of the most action packed, heart felt, well written series I have read in some time.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I had seen the original in a few things, but the first one I ever read and followed was Will Payton. I had been following the Legion for year by that point though but Thom Kallor was still just Starboy then so I don't count that.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    200px-Starman_modernage.jpg

Summer is when I catch up on a lot of comic reading. This summer I have been reading the JSA run in the late 90s and because of that picked up James Robinson's run on Starman. WOW I am so glad I did! I have not been able to put it down, I am around issue 40, and it is one of the most action packed, heart felt, well written series I have read in some time.
    This is where the fanboy love of Robinson comes from. Starman is an incredible package. A character fitting in with a universe, growing and reaching an actual conclusion. And the art is great, as well.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

"Ted Baxter" for me, but I can't recall the first time I saw him. Wait, I do remember: 100-Page Super Spectacular #13.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

This is a bit of a trick question, since Star Boy didn't become Starman until many decades later, but I guess Thom Kallor was techincally my first "Starman," when I read "Lana Lang and the Legion of Super-Heroes" reprinted in ADVENTURE COMICS No. 356 (May '67)--on sale March 30th, 1967. That was the story that first introduced Star Boy (coming out originally in 1961) and it was a rehash of a Mars Boy story, as well as Thom's origin story; however, he has completely different powers in that story (equivalent to Superboy's), so it forever left me confused.

In terms of original Starman (Ted Knight), there was a comic book I read when I was over at a friend's house. This must have been in 1969 or 1970 and I had gone cold on super-hero comics at the time, but he had an issue of what I think was JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 73 (August '69). And I remember seeing Starman in that. This had to be the first appearance of the Justice Society I ever saw--although it didn't register in my mind that's what they were.

The first comic book I bought with Starman in it was JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 94 (November '71) which reprinted the first appearance and origin of Starman in ADVENTURE COMICS No. 61 (April '41).

And I also want to mention ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME (Ace Books, 1970) which I took out of the public library circa 1971. This is one of my favourite books (fact or fiction, regardless of genre) and I read the whole thing cover to cover, intensely interested in the stories it told. We didn't have the internet back then, so this was really my first introduction to comics history and the "Golden Age." I loved this book so much, that I hand copied the order form at the back of the book and sent actual money in the mail ($1.65 in paper and coin) to the publishers at Ace to get my own copy of the paperback.

Regarding the Justice Society in particular, Jim Harmon's chapter "A Swell Bunch of Guys," was a helpful introduction.

Astonishing Member

Ted Knight via All-Star Squadron I guess or maybe some JLA/JSA crossover not sure which came first.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    This is a bit of a trick question, since Star Boy didn't become Starman until many decades later, but I guess Thom Kallor was techincally my first "Starman," when I read "Lana Lang and the Legion of Super-Heroes" reprinted in ADVENTURE COMICS No. 356 (May '67)--on sale March 30th, 1967. That was the story that first introduced Star Boy (coming out originally in 1961) and it was a rehash of a Mars Boy story, as well as Thom's origin story; however, he has completely different powers in that story (equivalent to Superboy's), so it forever left me confused.

In terms of original Starman (Ted Knight), there was a comic book I read when I was over at a friend's house. This must have been in 1969 or 1970 and I had gone cold on super-hero comics at the time, but he had an issue of what I think was JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 73 (August '69). And I remember seeing Starman in that. This had to be the first appearance of the Justice Society I ever saw--although it didn't register in my mind that's what they were.

The first comic book I bought with Starman in it was JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 94 (November '71) which reprinted the first appearance and origin of Starman in ADVENTURE COMICS No. 61 (April '41).

And I also want to mention ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME (Ace Books, 1970) which I took out of the public library circa 1971. This is one of my favourite books (fact or fiction, regardless of genre) and I read the whole thing cover to cover, intensely interested in the stories it told. We didn't have the internet back then, so this was really my first introduction to comics history and the "Golden Age." I loved this book so much, that I hand copied the order form at the back of the book and sent actual money in the mail ($1.65 in paper and coin) to the publishers at Ace to get my own copy of the paperback.

Regarding the Justice Society in particular, Jim Harmon's chapter "A Swell Bunch of Guys," was a helpful introduction.
    I also saw Thom Kallor before Ted Knight, Jim (back in the Spring of '73).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Voted from Thom because I read Silver Age Legion before anything else. Yes, he wasn't "StarMAN" there, but I still count it. The first characterI read about actually using the Starman name was Jack, and he's most definitely my favorite.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Jack Knight.

One of the best runs of all time.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I had seen the original in a few things, but the first one I ever read and followed was Will Payton. I had been following the Legion for year by that point though but Thom Kallor was still just Starboy then so I don't count that.

Yeah first one I knew about was the Space Hippy one.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I first heard of "Star Boy/Starman" from old Legion comics.

James Robinson's STARMAN is what I think of when I hear "Starman", though. That book was a big deal for me.

Retired

The Starman that appeared in 1ST ISSUE SPECIAL No. 12 (March '76) never got his own comic--which was par for the course for most characters featured in 1ST ISSUE, a cruel irony. But the artist was Mike Vosburg who soon went on to do STARFIRE--another name that's been used by more than one character--and that left me wondering if the two characters were in some way connected. I know that James Robinson eventually connected Starman (Mikaal) with Shadow Lass (Tasmia Malor), in that they came from the same star system. Tasmia came from Talok VIII and Mikaal from one of the other planets, Talok III--so I'm guessing the star was called Talok.