View Poll Results: Who was the first Starman from DC you ever read about?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Starman (Ted Knight- Adventure Comics #61, April 1941)

56 37.84%
  • "Starman" of 1950's (Bruce Wayne in 1957; later changed to Charles McNider)

2 1.35%
  • Mikaal (Michael) Thomas (1st Issue Special #12, March 1976)

0 0%
  • Prince Gavyn (Adventure Comics #467, January 1980)

5 3.38%
  • Will Payton (Starman #1, October 1988)

35 23.65%
  • David Knight (older son of Ted Knight; Starman #26, September 1990)

0 0%
  • Jack Knight (younger son of Ted / brother of David; Zero Hour: Crisis in Time #1, September 1994)

34 22.97%
  • Thom Kallor/Danny Blaine (Star Boy from LSH / also connected with the character in Kingdom Come)

14 9.46%
  • Farris Knight (Starman of the 853rd century; JLA #23, October 1998)

1 0.68%
  • Other (please specify in a separate post)

1 0.68%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . . . I also want to mention ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME (Ace Books, 1970) which I took out of the public library circa 1971. This is one of my favourite books (fact or fiction, regardless of genre) and I read the whole thing cover to cover, intensely interested in the stories it told. We didn't have the internet back then, so this was really my first introduction to comics history and the "Golden Age." I loved this book so much, that I hand copied the order form at the back of the book and sent actual money in the mail ($1.65 in paper and coin) to the publishers at Ace to get my own copy of the paperback.
    I bought that book as a kid, too, and loved to go through it.
    That and

were books I couldn't get enough of!

Retired

After getting ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME, I got that same exact book by Jules Feiffer and the two STERANKO HISTORY OF COMICS volumes--all three at the Cole's Books in Pacific Centre Mall. That store seemed so dependable for finding books on comics. I think I got about fifteen different books on comics or collections of comics (like the Ms. Wonder Woman book or the Stan Lee Marvel books) from that one store--rather than any of the comic shops that were sprouting up around that time. And the prices were usually reasonable because the books were remaindered--I guess nobody but me was buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I also saw Thom Kallor before Ted Knight, Jim (back in the Spring of '73).
    I was into the JLA/JSA team-ups before I got into the Legion so I'm still in the Ted Knight crowd.

Golden Age Starman Ted Knight was my first in the DC 100 page Giant issues of JLofA.

I do not count Thom Kallor as a "Starman". I say this because it's possible I read an ish of LSH with him in it before the JLofA books.

Prince Gavyn was when I really got into the character. He is probably my favorite visual-wise.I still have all his issues.

Local boy, Will Payton is my favorite over-all, I would really like his version to make a comeback.

Never read the Jack Knight version but have always wanted to.
    Batman - Daredevil

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Just have to throw a couple of these covers up

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Unless Ted was featured in the 1992 Justice Society of America comic, it was definitely Jack Knight. Though I remember the Will Payton covers quite clearly from when I was a kid.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

It was definitely Will Payton in Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite. I had never heard of Starman so I was kind of excited to learn about this new super-hero.

About which I still felt like I knew basically next to nothing. In fact, I still know basically next to nothing about Will Payton. The next time I read Starman, my high school library had the Grand Guignol paperback and I fell in love with Jack Knight and Opal City.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Retired

The Will Payton STARMAN comic featured great art by Tom Lyle, who also worked on ROBIN and THE COMET.

Will Payton was the first I read. Jack Knight was the first I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Unless Ted was featured in the 1992 Justice Society of America comic, it was definitely Jack Knight. Though I remember the Will Payton covers quite clearly from when I was a kid.
    Oh, he was in the first issue of the 1992 run (but with a green head covering instead of red?)

He also was in the last issue (#10).

Beyond that . . . doesn't look like he was really involved beyond maybe a cameo / flashback appearance.

I knew OF the original Starman, but this is the first Starman I had read about. Picked it up for this cover alone.

I believe All Star Comics #69 was when I first learned of Starman (Ted Knight).
    This issue would be my first introduction to other JSofA members as well.

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oh, he was in the first issue of the 1992 run (but with a green head covering instead of red?)

He also was in the last issue (#10).

Beyond that . . . doesn't look like he was really involved beyond maybe a cameo / flashback appearance.
    Well, guess that was my first sighting of Starman and Sandman. Don't remeber them though.

But man, would you look at that Mike Parobeck art... so great.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Jack Knight for me...loved (and still one of my favs) Robinson's Starman series. Though technically it was Ted Knight from the Last Days of the JSA special. But at that time I was more of Marvel guy, so the overall significance of that issue was lost on me. My appreciation of DC history began with reading Starman.