Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can Occupy Avengers work

Was it the lineup?
    no star power?
    Too many newbies?

The concept of roaming heroes righting wrongs where they find them seems it could work if done well.

Incredible Member

Occupy Avengers was a nice little book and it's a shame it doesn't seem to have worked out.

I quite liked the concept of using obscure characters like Red Wolf, Wheels and Nightshade but I'd probably agree that it probably needed a bit more star power, I'm not sure if Clint Barton was enough. That being said I suspect that taking so many issues to actually establish that roster hurt it, someone checking out the first few issues may have left people confused whether it's a team book or Hawkeye solo or a Hawkeye and Redwolf team-up or something else. Also while I generally defend Marvel on these issues I don't think they did themselves any favors calling the book Occupy Avengers which perhaps further muddied peoples impressions of what the book was.

I think just about anything (within reason) can work with the right approach. I'm sure not many people would have thought Vision would be as good as it was before it came out, for instance. Or Ms Marvel, etc. All in how it's handled.

I tried a few issues but it just didn't rally grab me, I think a combo of characters i wasn't terribly invested in outside of Hawkeye, and how it went at first didn't really give me much of a reason TO care about them. Needed a bit of a stronger hook, i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    Occupy Avengers was a nice little book and it's a shame it doesn't seem to have worked out.

I quite liked the concept of using obscure characters like Red Wolf, Wheels and Nightshade but I'd probably agree that it probably needed a bit more star power, I'm not sure if Clint Barton was enough. That being said I suspect that taking so many issues to actually establish that roster hurt it, someone checking out the first few issues may have left people confused whether it's a team book or Hawkeye solo or a Hawkeye and Redwolf team-up or something else. Also while I generally defend Marvel on these issues I don't think they did themselves any favors calling the book Occupy Avengers which perhaps further muddied peoples impressions of what the book was.
    Should've had a different logo. That certainly made it look like a Hawkeye solo too.

I think it's the style of writing. Occupy Avengers was one of the many books that got cancelled that were a lot better in the interviews than the book itself.

I'll admit straight up that I didn't read any issues, premise sounded okay but creative team didn't inspire me to buy. With different talent on board it may have been on my pull list but not this time.

Some critical opinions from friends who did read it though were: pacing was too slow (fair shout), title was annoying (it was a bit clunky but not sure I get that as a big minus), artist changes (had to look this up, 4 artists over 9 issues, valid point?).

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Was it the lineup?
    no star power?
    Too many newbies?

The concept of roaming heroes righting wrongs where they find them seems it could work if done well.
    The price and it is another title named Avengers. The dollars that the Avengers fans have to purchase is split because I buy UA you buy OA he buys A and she buys USA. Splitting the fans dollars isn't helping. Also I can't afford to purchase every title I want then I assume most of you can't either. Also the cast of characters used in the title matter. Use character that people actually want to read.

I really enjoyed it, it is a shame more people didn't buy.

My two cents as to why it didn't work - One - The name was horrible. And two - It relied on Hawkeye/Clint Barton to work and basically everyone except his fans were hating on him after Civil War 2 so weren't interested in buying it.

BANNED

It could work. If you had characters that were likable or interesting, Got a writer that gave a shit about the characters, A less insulting condenscending tone & solicitation about how "The Superhero community hate the citizens because they're too busy fighting supervillains or themselves to help out with real problems", not ripping off Green Arrow, A proper redemption arc for Clint, & to not name your book after a long dead movement.

They definitively could've pick a better name for it.
    The premise was neat, but the Secret Empire tie ins and, in particular, the way it dealt with Supreme Nighthawk killed it for me.
    Maybe Walker should try writing a comedic series next. Power Man and Iron Fist was doing well, no?
    Can't have enough street levelers.

I think the idea of a small team of outcast heroes wandering the country and helping the little guy is a good one. But I think OA suffered from trying too hard to deliver a message, using its theme as a crutch more than an underlying motivation, and expecting us to give a damn about the newer characters without taking the time to allow us to care about them. It all seems like it was delivered in shorthand, like we were reading the synopsis for a much deeper, better-crafted book.

Ultimately, adding one or two more "name" characters to the cast, plus creating a better fusion of socio-political commentary and traditional superhero storytelling, would've resulted in a much better, more compelling book that might've lasted a bit longer.

I agree it took to long to get the team together. Also it could have used a least another name character.

Occupy was a poor choice as well.

I would like to seem them try the concept though. A traveling team low to no powers just righting wrongs.

I enjoyed it a lot more once Walta came on board. I loved the book despite the lineup not because of it (although I would call myself a fan of Tilda, Wheels, and the Fireheart brothers now).

I agree that Occupy was a weird adjective for the book. It didn't seem to fit and already seems like a dated term.

Quote Originally Posted by ou·tré View Post
    I enjoyed it a lot more once Walta came on board. I loved the book despite the lineup not because of it (although I would call myself a fan of Tilda, Wheels, and the Fireheart brothers now).

I agree that Occupy was a weird adjective for the book. It didn't seem to fit and already seems like a dated term.
    Interesting, I enjoyed it less since Walta came on board.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Astonishing Member

Yeah, I got the first few issues. That Pacheco art was awesome. Walta is a wonderful artist but he isn't going to save a very nice book like this. I would have had a new name. Make it more like old school West Coast Avengers.

Maybe Avengers International have that JLI vibe.

Go off the board with a team of

Hawkeye
    Northstar
    Arabian Knight
    Sabra
    Puma
    Deadly Nightshade
    Usagent.