Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

Sincere question: Do they have access to all the Superman family stories that were published between 1938 and 1958 or are there some that they can't find or access (i.e. in private collections where the owners are not willing to let them be scanned)?

Kon-El... he was erased of the world memory? No Post-reborn mention..

I think that this is not for his N52 Origin... However, I prefer the Superman/Luthor son than future clone of the other superboy..
    Last edited by adrikito; 07-13-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Once and for all. In the new Rebirth era was Clark a member of the Legion of Superheroes when he was younger? Did Saturn Girl wipe his memory of his time with them if he was a member?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Once and for all. In the new Rebirth era was Clark a member of the Legion of Superheroes when he was younger? Did Saturn Girl wipe his memory of his time with them if he was a member?
    The impression that I'm getting, and this is just speculation on my part, is that we are essentially just going back to Johns origin from 2009 with some New 52 elements thrown in. I hope that's not the case because it's the one I dislike the most, but if so, he'd definitely be a member of the Legion.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Why don't you make an effort to make Superman a top dog again instead of assuming he's just not popular anymore? Like, a GENUINE effort, not just laying back on the iconic status of the character. Putting top talent made by people that love the character and has a vision for an epic, long run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Sincere question: Do they have access to all the Superman family stories that were published between 1938 and 1958 or are there some that they can't find or access (i.e. in private collections where the owners are not willing to let them be scanned)?
    There are stories that have been lost? Or that the fandom speculates have been lost?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    There are stories that have been lost? Or that the fandom speculates have been lost?
    I remember years ago when DC planned to do a Superboy archives, they were having a hard time borrowing comics from collectors that they could scan. The comics existed, just some collectors weren't willing to let them scan their copies. DC did eventually do a collection of the early Superboy (but not an archive) so I guess they were able to get all the comics they needed for that project. I imagine some issues are in short supply and finding those in reasonable condition is hard--and buying those issues would get expensive.

I note that DC has never done a reprint series for Superman Tim, so I wonder if some promotional Superman comics still exist.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Whether or not we'll get real answers is up for debate. But you would at least have the opportunity to ask them.
    I'm not sure I could ask them only one serious question. It would revolve around strategy. I'd point out that people want to see Superman stuff, but the keep putting out mediocre stuff that gets lukewarm reception. Are they aware that they're floundering or at best middling out with Superman? How do you compromise with the split fanbase? Why are there only three types of Superman stories pushed in other media these days (origin, death, Evil Supes)? etc.

But more likely, I'd probably be a punk and ask a bunch of crappy loaded questions that isn't really asking a question and instead is just mocking them.

I remember years ago when DC planned to do a Superboy archives, they were having a hard time borrowing comics from collectors that they could scan. The comics existed, just some collectors weren't willing to let them scan their copies. DC did eventually do a collection of the early Superboy (but not an archive) so I guess they were able to get all the comics they needed for that project. I imagine some issues are in short supply and finding those in reasonable condition is hard--and buying those issues would get expensive.

I note that DC has never done a reprint series for Superman Tim, so I wonder if some promotional Superman comics still exist.
    I don't think the Superboy archive did very well. Which might explain why they didn't release more. In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd gotten it. I know that once they get to a certain point they stop releasing them. Like the Superman Chronicles. They got to about volume ten, which was still during WW2, and they stopped. This makes me wonder if the cost of converting more was just too expensive to bother with.
    Assassinate Putin!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

When will DC do a much better comprehensive job of collecting Superman's Bronze Age into trades?

When will DC realize that Smallville really provided a brilliant vision on how to better write and imagine Lex Luthor?
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-13-2017 at 03:10 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'm not sure I could ask them only one serious question. It would revolve around strategy. I'd point out that people want to see Superman stuff, but the keep putting out mediocre stuff that gets lukewarm reception. Are they aware that they're floundering or at best middling out with Superman? How do you compromise with the split fanbase? Why are there only three types of Superman stories pushed in other media these days (origin, death, Evil Supes)? etc.

But more likely, I'd probably be a punk and ask a bunch of crappy loaded questions that isn't really asking a question and instead is just mocking them.
    I don't know that they know how to deal with the split fanbase. By the look of it, they are kind of just throwing semi-popular ideas together and hoping for the best. Superman is not Batman. There are two distinct eras that divide the fanbase. Pre-COIE and post-COIE. Both are polar opposites from one another. The only good version I've ever seen bridge that divide was Smallville. Not the teen angst stuff but the meshing of pre-and post concepts. He was a super-boy but not Superboy. Lex was a corrupt billionaire but also Clark's friend. The Kents were still alive but Jonathon died before he became Superman.

I would also argue it was Smallville and the attempts to make the comic more like it that created that split to begin with. Birthright was essentially an attempt to turn the comics into the show with mixed results. Before then, DC didn't care much about the pre-Crisis fans outside of a few Elseworlds. They would throw them a bone with a few collected editions once in a while but that was it. Now they have to find a way to appease everyone and I don't know that they can do that.

This is the main reason I supported the New 52. I felt like it was throwing that method out and just starting from scratch. It was more an updated version of the Golden Age than anything else. And I think it would have worked had they not gone too far off the rails with the WW relationship and the costume. I don't know that they can get to a point where they make everyone happy.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Thanks, I had no idea of that. Mind boggling situation. 'Superman Tim', also had never heard of this.

Wow.

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/83/
    Last edited by dumbduck; 07-13-2017 at 03:21 PM.

I don't know that they know how to deal with the split fanbase. By the look of it, they are kind of just throwing semi-popular ideas together and hoping for the best. Superman is not Batman. There are two distinct eras that divide the fanbase. Pre-COIE and post-COIE. Both are polar opposites from one another. The only good version I've ever seen bridge that divide was Smallville. Not the teen angst stuff but the meshing of pre-and post concepts. He was a super-boy but not Superboy. Lex was a corrupt billionaire but also Clark's friend. The Kents were still alive but Jonathon died before he became Superman.

I would also argue it was Smallville and the attempts to make the comic more like it that created that split to begin with. Birthright was essentially an attempt to turn the comics into the show with mixed results. Before then, DC didn't care much about the pre-Crisis fans outside of a few Elseworlds. They would throw them a bone with a few collected editions once in a while but that was it. Now they have to find a way to appease everyone and I don't know that they can do that.

This is the main reason I supported the New 52. I felt like it was throwing that method out and just starting from scratch. It was more an updated version of the Golden Age than anything else. And I think it would have worked had they not gone too far off the rails with the WW relationship and the costume. I don't know that they can get to a point where they make everyone happy.
    thing is those are what caught my interest in the reboot in the firts place, and despite being unpopular i really loved the armor, oh and krypto. for me direwolf krypto was maybe the greatest addition that was never properly explored

Certainly trying to make everyone happy is bound to fail. However, not trying to come up with any sort of sound strategy... you might as well pack up your things and close shop. I'm sure whatever they are trying to do is something I wouldn't want to hear, but it would be interesting to hear what they had to say if they gave a straight and honest answer.

was the retcon of krypto "needed"?

will there be elseworlds of the forsaken canon's?

was the divide of the fanbase proposital?

will jon and damian age?