View Poll Results: Who was the first Sandman (from DC) you ever read about?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wesley Dodd/Dodds (first appearance = Adventure Comics #40, July 1939)

54 53.47%
  • Garrett Sanford (first appeared in The Sandman #1, Winter 1974)

9 8.91%
  • Hector Hall (revealed to have taken over Sanford's Sandman role in Infinty Inc. #50, May 1988)

2 1.98%
  • Dream / Morpheus (The Sandman #1, January 1989 - DC then Vertigo)

29 28.71%
  • Daniel Hall (son of Hector Hall; took over for Dream / Morpheus in Sandman #69, July 1995)

1 0.99%
  • (Sanderson) "Sandy" Hawkins (originally Golden Age sidekick Sandy / later "Sand" then "Sandman")

5 4.95%
  • Col. Larry Wilton (2002 one-shot Just Imagine Stan Lee With Walter Simonson Creating Sandman)

0 0%
  • Kieran Marshall (2007 Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason mini-series)

1 0.99%
  • other DC character? (please explain in separate post)

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Who was the first Sandman (from DC) you ever read about?

Who was the first character called "Sandman" you ever read about in a DC (or Vertigo) comic book?
    (And, no, we're not concerned with the William Baker / Flint Marko character from Marvel Comics.)

Using my memory and additional help from Wikipedia, these appear to be the characters who have been known by the name "Sandman" at some point in comic books from DC (or Vertigo):
    * Wesley Dodd/Dodds - first appearance in Adventure Comics #40 (July 1939)
    * Garrett Sanford - first appeared The Sandman #1 (Winter 1974); identity as Garrett Sanford in Wonder Woman #300 (Feb. 1983)
    * Hector Hall - originally the Silver Scarab; revealed to have taken over Sanford's Sandman role in Infinty Inc. #50 (May 1988)
    * Dream / Morpheus - The Sandman #1 (January 1989); originally DC / later an imprint of Vertigo
    * Daniel Hall - son of Hector Hall; took over for Dream / Morpheus in Sandman #69 (July 1995)
    * (Sanderson) "Sandy" Hawkins - originally the Golden Age sidekick to Wes Dodds' Sandman, later gained silicon-based abilities and eventually was known as "Sand". Still later, as part of the JSA, gained abilities similar to Wes Dodds in terms of prophetic dreams. Eventually began dressing in a costume similar to Dodds original outfit and became known as Sandman
    * Col. Larry Wilton - from the 2002 one-shot Just Imagine Stan Lee With Walter Simonson Creating Sandman
    * Kieran Marshall - from the 2007 Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason mini-series

So, which was the first "Sandman" of these that you read about in a comic book from DC / Vertigo?
    (For those characters that weren't originally called "Sandman" when they first appeared, please base your response on when they were first referred to as "Sandman".)

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

My first experience with the Sandman "Franchise" was when reading the trade paperback for The Season of the Mist story-arc. I don't think it occurred to me it was connected to the DC Universe.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I was aware of Wesley Dodds before Morpheus, but the first actual Sandman comics I read were Gaiman's so a vote for Dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I was aware of Wesley Dodds before Morpheus, but the first actual Sandman comics I read were Gaiman's so a vote for Dream.
    But did you read any comic book stories with Wes Dodds before reading the Gaiman Sandman comic books?
    (After all, Wes had gone without a regular comic book feature for a loooooooooong time after the Golden Age ended.)

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But did you read any comic book stories with Wes Dodds before reading the Gaiman Sandman comic books?
    (After all, Wes had gone without a regular comic book feature for a loooooooooong time after the Golden Age ended.)
    Not to my recollection. Bulk of my exposure to Sandman prior to reading the Gaiman series came from a book about comics that I had checked out from the library. I don't recall the title, but it was an A-Z encyclopedia sort of book.

Wesley Dodd/Dodds from the Annual JLA/JSA crossovers.

Incredible Member

Who was the first character called "Sandman" you ever read about in a DC (or Vertigo) comic book?
    (And, no, we're not concerned with the William Baker / Flint Marko character from Marvel Comics.)

Using my memory and additional help from Wikipedia, these appear to be the characters who have been known by the name "Sandman" at some point in comic books from DC (or Vertigo):
    * Wesley Dodd/Dodds - first appearance in Adventure Comics #40 (July 1939)
    * Garrett Sanford - first appeared The Sandman #1 (Winter 1974); identity as Garrett Sanford in Wonder Woman #300 (Feb. 1983)
    * Hector Hall - originally the Silver Scarab; revealed to have taken over Sanford's Sandman role in Infinty Inc. #50 (May 1988)
    * Dream / Morpheus - The Sandman #1 (January 1989); originally DC / later an imprint of Vertigo
    * Daniel Hall - son of Hector Hall; took over for Dream / Morpheus in Sandman #69 (July 1995)
    * (Sanderson) "Sandy" Hawkins - originally the Golden Age sidekick to Wes Dodds' Sandman, later gained silicon-based abilities and eventually was known as "Sand". Still later, as part of the JSA, gained abilities similar to Wes Dodds in terms of prophetic dreams. Eventually began dressing in a costume similar to Dodds original outfit and became known as Sandman
    * Col. Larry Wilton - from the 2002 one-shot Just Imagine Stan Lee With Walter Simonson Creating Sandman
    * Kieran Marshall - from the 2007 Sandman Mystery Theatre: Sleep of Reason mini-series

So, which was the first "Sandman" of these that you read about in a comic book from DC / Vertigo?
    (For those characters that weren't originally called "Sandman" when they first appeared, please base your response on when they were first referred to as "Sandman".)
    This is a photo of the first Sandman comic I read in the 1980's. I was about 5 and I liked the giant cat. Lol.

I don't have the cover anymore (my brother did not take care of his stuff all that well), but I'm pretty sure it's from this:

Saw this ad when I was in junior high; thought it looked cool:

Wesley for me. I can't remember if it was a JLA/JSA team-up, a reprint of a JSA story, oer a sandman reprint in one of the Kirby 4th World books.

But Morpheus was the first I followed. Sandman Mystery Theatre brought me back into Dodds' corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Since that appears to be a b&w reproduction of a page that appeared in color in Justice League of America #94 (November 1971)

does that mean you saw this in

?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

The first I can vividly remember reading was Daniel in JLA but it's possible I came across Wesley Dodds before that.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Retired

Since that appears to be a b&w reproduction of a page that appeared in color in Justice League of America #94 (November 1971)

does that mean you saw this in

?
    Actually, that original art page by Murphy Anderson is published in R.C. Harvey’s THE LIFE AND ART OF MURPHY ANDERSON (2003, TwoMorrows Publishing), p. 148.

But I bought the actual JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 94 new when it came out and it immediately became one of my favourite comic books of all time. Not just for those two reprints, but also for the new story, "Where Strikes Demonfang?"

I think it was probably Gaiman's Sandman, but the one I really fell in love with was Sandman Mystery Theatre.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Wesley Dodds! I first read about him in All Star Squadron then he quickly became one of my all times favorite characters.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

The Sandman character I first recall reading about was Sandy in his Sand identity in JSA, but later went back and read Wesley, my earliest exposure to him may have been outside his Sandman ID in Kingdom Come
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"