Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default D23 2017: Marvel's Cup O' Joe Panel

Comments from Marvel Entertainment's Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada at the D23 Expo.

https://www.newsarama.com/35365-d23-...joe-panel.html

Quesada's first mandates as Editor in Chief was to fix Spider-Man and the X-Men. "It's not unlike Disney's return to prominence, when they realized that animation was at the core of their business," Quesada said. "Marvel had just lost its way... the stories had no longer been about us, but were love letters to our childhood. Writers wrote stories that reflected what they read as kids."
    Before the Avengers movie, X-Men actually topped Avengers in comics sales. Quesada said that Mark Millar said that as a kid, he was a Justice League fan, because it had all of their top characters — so why not have top characters like Spider-Man and Wolverine in the Avengers? Quesada said he met resistance, but said that they could find reasons to put these characters into the Avengers, which became Marvel's top franchise under Brian Michael Bendis.
    A fan asked Quesada about "stripping down" characters like Captain America and Miles Morales, asking how Quesada can keep readers reading when their characters are drawing ire. "Being Editor in Chief as the Internet came into its own, when its silent, when fans aren't feeling love, passion, hate, that's death for us," Quesada said, saying he got similar comments about Tony Stark during Civil War. "It's all about perspective, just stick with it, because the Marvel Universe is a place of hope. Sometimes we have to go to places that make us a little bit nervous, because if things become too safe and too perfect, things become boring."

BANNED

Quesada's first mandates as Editor in Chief was to fix Spider-Man and the X-Men.
    They spelled "break" wrong.

Didn't he come in and break up Peter and MJ as one of his first acts? Hate to see him try and break stuff when he does so well accidentally.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    X-Men in 2001-2005 was awesome. He broke it after that.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    Didn't he come in and break up Peter and MJ as one of his first acts? Hate to see him try and break stuff when he does so well accidentally.
    They were already broken up when he became EiC. Then they got back together early in his tenure, but Quesada demanded the marriage be dissolved in the dumbest way possible a couple years after that.

BANNED

Too much bullshit. I can't.

Can Quesada and Axel just leave?

BANNED

Cup o'bulllllshit.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I wouldn't use break more like eviscerate or shun and mutilate.

Joe Q became EiC in 2000. In Jan 2000, UXM was the #1 book, and sold 50% better than JLA or Avengers (#4 and #5) - source: Comichron.

What needed to be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Criticalfan View Post
    Joe Q became EiC in 2000. In Jan 2000, UXM was the #1 book, and sold 50% better than JLA or Avengers (#4 and #5) - source: Comichron.

What needed to be fixed?
    The X-men doing well.

Yeah I don't see what he "fixed". I assume he means Morrison and the million mutants with HoM, but that just sent the franchise into a decade long cycle of repetitive stories. He didn't fix anything.

Incredible Member

More evidence on Marvel editor sidelining the X-men from the MU. Apparently selling well and having a huge loyal fanbase is not relevant for a franchise to be given proper respect, it's what these clowns want what defines whether the franchise will be treated properly.

This is such a rewrite of what happened when Quesada took over.

Quesada's goal when taking over was to make the X-books "cool" to people who thought they were stupid and called anyone who read X-books nerds. He fired writers like Bob Weinberg from Cable when their books were selling well and well received only because the series and the creative weren't perceived as cool enough (and Quesada didn't have the nerve to admit this. Weinberg told fans he had been fired, then Quesada denied it to avoid the fanbase being upset. People only learned that Weinberg really had been fired when Tischman's first issue was solicited). With Cable, Tischman's Cable wasn't cool enough and sold poorly, so they did Soldier X which sold even worse. Then basically the Marvel response - Cable sucks! He's so over and anyone who liked him is stupid!

I went to so many conventions at that time and was being treated by editors and X-writers like didn't want me reading comics. I seemed like they thought that if they were pissing people like me off, they were doing a great job because cool, trendy readers (now hipsters) would love the comics I hate.

I need to dig up some of the old Quesada quotes from the early 2000s but they make me too angry. He literally didn't care if every person who read X-books in 1999 left because he was convinced they would be replaced by 10x as many movie fans.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 07-14-2017 at 07:57 PM.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

First thing he did was retcon Xorn and essentially undercut Moz's superlative epic. It's been one slog after the other.

But he's making Disney money with unadulterated mindnumb masquerading as filmed entertainments.

Quote Originally Posted by Park Slope Pixie View Post
    But he's making Disney money with unadulterated mindnumb masquerading as filmed entertainments.
    Only on the tv and comics side I believe. He got bounced from Marvel Studios along with Perlmutter and co.