Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L. View Post
    Still no excuse for trying to murder Superman
    The movie at least paints it as being a bad thing, whereas the comics can be all over the place in how they treat his at times questionable actions.

I find Batfleck more likeable than the canon Batman of the 2000s. At least he accepts he is wrong and has an arc of change

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Depends on how you look at it. I agree sometimes he's written too assholey towards them. Other times I feel like it's a tough love thing. I never looked at him abusing children or anything. Always saw this as a fantasy world.
    It's not how you look at it, it's how it's presented by the writers. If his sidekicks are shown to be ok with it and still love him I can accept it. If they are shown to have trouble because of it and he doesn't stop then he's emotionally abusing them.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The movie at least paints it as being a bad thing, whereas the comics can be all over the place in how they treat his at times questionable actions.

I find Batfleck more likeable than the canon Batman of the 2000s. At least he accepts he is wrong and has an arc of change
    So did the Batman of the 2000s. Several times in fact because writers love to repeat stories.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So did the Batman of the 2000s. Several times in fact because writers love to repeat stories.
    I'm hoping the limited runtime of films means that there is less a danger of this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Weirdly enough so do I. He actually collaborates with Diana ("Boys share too"), he introduces himself as Superman's friend to his mother and generally Affleck doesn't play the character as a jerk. Except when he intends to kill a good man with no evidence of him doing anything wrong. In these scenes he doesn't act like a jerk, he acts like a villain.

I didn't mean with my comment that I found Batfleck to be a jerk, I found his characterization to be nonsensical.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    You see it in a ton of Youtube videos. It's like some people feel that as long as Batman's being a dick to everyone around him all is right with the world. Gone are the days of ultra compassionate BTAS Batman.
    One of the reasons some of us love a/hole Batman is that it gives him a flaw. It makes him less perfect and less annoying. And what you call a/hole some of us would just term a private man who behaves that way because he likes peace and quiet and doesn't need or want to be friends with everyone. Also, as many have mentioned, Bruce's bark is worse than his bite. He might come across as harsh and abrasive. But he's also the type of person whom will help you out if you are in trouble. In many ways I would rather have a cold and distant Batman who is loyal and helps me out when I am in a jam. Than to be around someone who is happy and jolly. Yet can't be counted on for help or even worse will stab you in the back when it suits them. I like SH who have problems it makes them more deeper and richer.

t3lvj3ljeziabpullmgj.jpg

I wonder how much of the "Batjerk" mythology was exacerbated by Mark Waid's run on JLA following Grant Morrison? IIRC (and maybe I'm not), his first storyline, Tower of Babylon, directly addressed the tendency to write Batman post-Crisis as somebody who inherently distrusted super-powered superheroes as being, essentially, 'untrained and undisciplined amateurs who rely far too much on their powers.' Even after ToB was ended, it was a running subplot in Waid's JLA run over several stories until JLA #50 that half of the JLA found the very idea that Batman did not trust them and had created plans to take them down if they ever went bad as part of a wholy unforgivable betrayal on his part. Waid very clearly didn't like either this particular portrayl of Batman or how widespread/prevalent it was, and going to such lengths to portray it as A Very Big Problem to the extent that it was supposed to pose problems for Nightwing with the Titans, Robin with Young Justice, and Oracle in general as a information source for other heroes because they were all seen as being Batman's Partners (as seen in the pages of one of the stories in that year's JLA Secret Files and Origins) was perhaps an overreaction on Waid's part (and since at the time Waid was both a Big Name Writer at DC and A Very Popular Writer with fans, maybe that had some effect on the perception).

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    One of the reasons some of us love a/hole Batman is that it gives him a flaw. It makes him less perfect and less annoying. And what you call a/hole some of us would just term a private man who behaves that way because he likes peace and quiet and doesn't need or want to be friends with everyone. Also, as many have mentioned, Bruce's bark is worse than his bite. He might come across as harsh and abrasive. But he's also the type of person whom will help you out if you are in trouble. In many ways I would rather have a cold and distant Batman who is loyal and helps me out when I am in a jam. Than to be around someone who is happy and jolly. Yet can't be counted on for help or even worse will stab you in the back when it suits them. I like SH who have problems it makes them more deeper and richer.

t3lvj3ljeziabpullmgj.jpg
    So why do fans seem to have a problem when these flaws are pointed out?

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

What initially drew me to Batman was his painstaking, obsessive investigative skills, his tenacious capacity to gather empirical evidence to solve crimes. It seems to me that aspect of the character has waned some. As for his personality, I prefer a grim, remote Batman.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 08-09-2017 at 10:31 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    What initially drew me to Batman was his painstaking, obsessive investigative skills, his tenacious capacity to gather empirical evidence to solve crimes. It seems to me that aspect of the character has waned some. As for his personality, I prefer a grim, remote Batman.
    There's an audience for that. After RDJ's Sherlock and Cumberbatch's Sherlock I'm down for a kick-ass detective. Hopefully Matt Reeves will give me one. Batman should be compassionate but he also should always think he's perfect and right. That's why he tried to kill Superman in BvS. His opinion matters, no one elses.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Great O.G.U.F.O.O.L. View Post
    Still no excuse for trying to murder Superman
    Actually, that`s one of the few things explained well in the movie.

He doesn`t know Superman from anywhere and in his first major appearance he has a fight with other kins that bring down a whole city. Pretty straightforward storytelling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So why do fans seem to have a problem when these flaws are pointed out?
    They either can't see it. Or they are swayed by superficialities (shrugs).

Astonishing Member

"******* Batman" ? what's that some kind of Extra strength suppository or Fiber supplemnt? No Thanks, Old Chum>

If Bruce wasn't such a jerk, life would be boring in the DC Universe. Besides, these are funny Poor Superman

http://www.strangebeaver.com/2014/11...n-vs-superman/

Astonishing Member

It's a power fantasy thing, it's badass and cool when you can behave how you want and everyone else just has to take it and I don't really mind much when he does it amongst his own flock, he's the king of castle and all that. Only thing I regret is that we got Batjerk around the time post-crisis turned Supes into a weak minded simpleton.

Would have loved to see Batman pulled some BS on the Golden Age Supes and be left a seizure ridden epileptic for the rest of his life. Post-crisis pretty much neutered Clark and he hasn't been quite right since then.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory