Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No problem, credit where credit is due!

People have made a connection between Jurgens recent tweet about being relieved when a very bad idea is fixed and made better (I'm very much paraphrasing), and the Oz situation. Knowing Jurgens style, and having a broad idea of the type of things he likes and the things he doesn't when it comes to the mythos, if he was referencing the Oz situation in any way, I do wonder if Johns meant Oz to be Jonathan Sr. but the direction was something that Jurgens felt in the long run hurt his legacy. Its hard to hurt legacies with "possible future"-like incarnations, but maybe he was supposed to be straight-up Jonathan.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-16-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

That's a very good point! Jurgens would be the guy in the room saying "that's not how the myth should work" when the idea of Oz being Jor-El or Jon Sr comes up. I would also make sense given that I don't think I've known Jurgens to be so open with story ideas on social media like that. It likely would've had to have been something or real significance to him. It's also possible that because fans like us already guess the Jon Sr possibility, and this is him sort of setting the stage to say "don't worry it's not that."

And yeah, Jon's possible future is always open, thus his legacy is never put on the chopping block. Just one issue of Superman ago Tomasi gave us a 'good future' for the kid where he and Damian take up the mantels of their fathers. Then over in JL apparently these a future where Damian and Jon aren't even around anymore (it seems). Making him Oz keeps all of the pathos of a Jon Sr reveal, but none of the muddling of the myth.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.