View Poll Results: Who was the first "Mister Terrific" (from DC) you ever read about?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane) - 1st appeared Sensation Comics #1 (1942)

42 39.25%
  • Michael Holt - 1st appearance in Spectre #54 (June 1997) / was also in the New52

61 57.01%
  • Kingdom Come / Earth-22 version of Mr. Terrific - 1st appearance in Kingdom Come #1

1 0.93%
  • Liberty Files version of Terry Sloane - 1st appearance in JSA: The Liberty Files #2 (March 2000)

2 1.87%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

1 0.93%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who was the first "Mister Terrific" (from DC) you ever read about?

For the first "Mister Terrific" you ever read about, here are the possibilities to consider:
    * Golden Age Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane) - 1st appeared in Sensation Comics #1 (January 1942) / death of character in Justice League of America #171 (October 1979)
    * Michael Holt - 1st appeared in Spectre #54 (June 1997)
    NOTE: not differentiating between pre-Flashpoint and New52 versions
    * Kingdom Come / Earth-22 version of Mr. Terrific - 1st appeared in Kingdom Come #1 (May, 1996)
    * Liberty Files version of Terry Sloane - 1st appearance in JSA: The Liberty Files #2 (March 2000)

NOTE: Not including Earth 2's "Terry Sloan" (no "e" on end) of the New52 since he went by the name "Mr. 8" in that version.

Golden Age Terry Sloane

Michael Holt

Kingdom Come / Earth-22 version of Mr. Terrific

Liberty Files version of Terry Sloane - 1st appearance in JSA: The Liberty Files #2 (March 2000)

Retired

From DC, Terry Sloane. Probably in JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA No. 101 (September '72), although I'd probably read something about him before then. And the JLA/JSA team-up in issues 55 & 56 was advertised in the Direct Currents columns back in 1967, showing the covers for each issue, and I know I was really interested in those comics, but I never bought them at the time (got them many years later)--but Mr. Terrific appears on both covers, so I had seen him back then.

Not DC, but also in 1967, I saw on TV the MISTER TERRIFIC sitcom.

Michael Holt .

Though Terry Sloane was pretty snazzy from what I've read of him .

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

First Mister Terrific I ever read about was Terry Sloane. Unfortunately for him, he also died in the same story.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

In 1974, DC put out the tabloid-sized FAMOUS 1ST EDITION C-30 that reprinted SENSATION COMICS No. 1. This had a card stock outer-cover (with a slick cover under that--so some crooks took off the card-stock and palmed this comic off as the actual SENSATION COMICS No. 1, since it was an exact reproduction). The card stock cover was bronze, just as the reproduction of ACTION COMICS No. 1 had gold and the reproduction of DETECTIVE COMICS No. 27 had silver. This means they must have had the printer add a special pantone in addition to the regular four colours (CMYK) just for that cover. All for a dollar (plus shipping and handling when I sent away for my copy, using the order form cut out from a newsstand comic).

SENSATION COMICS No. 1 (January '42) featured the second appearance of Wonder Woman, who made her debut in ALL-STAR COMICS No. 8. But the comic also had the first appearances and origins for Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys, the Gay Ghost and Wildcat. The Black Pirate (one of the greatest of DC's forgotten heroes) continued his adventures from ACTION COMICS. And, of course, the first issue of SENSATION also had the debut of Mr. Terrific.

Needless to say, this was all amazing stuff. To see these comics presented exactly as they had appeared thirty years before was truly mind-blowing. But Terry Sloane's origin story was the real shock to the system. Here was a guy who came very close to taking his own life.

Mike's Amazing World delivers a good synopsis for this story:

Terry Sloane was a boy genius at the age of 10 and graduated college at age 12. However, though he finds success at everything he tries, both physical and intellectual, Terry is bored with life because it presents no challenge for him.

While contemplating suicide, Terry saves the life of Wanda Wilson, who wants to kill herself because her brother has joined a gang. Terry offers to help and designs a costume for himself. He then confronts Wanda’s brother, Billie and his friends. He proves that Big Shot, the gang leader the boys idolize, is a coward and turns their lives around. In doing so, Terry finds a new purpose for his own life as the costumed, Mr. Terrific.

The origin story has always stayed with me. It's a real roller-coaster of emotion, because here's a guy who we would all like to be--accomplished in every way--and yet his depression is palpable. He doesn't care to live--life holds no interest for him. That he then finds a purpose and dresses up in a such an upbeat costume demonstrates the striking combination of darkness and light in his creation.

Incredible Member

For me it was Michael Holt but I do like what I've read of Terry Sloane too!

Question for MajorHoy though, I'm enjoying these polls but will you be tallying the results, is there an end result your after? Just curious!

Cheers.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    Question for MajorHoy though, I'm enjoying these polls but will you be tallying the results, is there an end result your after? Just curious!
    The "end result" I'm after?

I just wanted to get people talking about some classic Golden Age heroes and their legacy/later counterparts.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The "end result" I'm after?

I just wanted to get people talking about some classic Golden Age heroes and their legacy/later counterparts.
    Makes sense to me (I just wondered if you were doing something like working out the CBR posters combined ideal JSA line-up or something, that's what I meant by an "end result", I know its not the best phrase but hopefully you get what I mean now!)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    First Mister Terrific I ever read about was Terry Sloane. Unfortunately for him, he also died in the same story.
    Same thing here. I read the JLA/JSA crossover where Terry died and if I saw him before that he didn't register.

At last check, 21 people said the Michael Holt version was the first "Mister Terrific" (from DC) they ever read about.
    11 other people voted that Terry Sloane (the Golden Age Mr. Terrific) was the first one they read about.

Michael Holt. 1st exposure was in JSA.

Looking forward to seeing him in The Terrifics.

Both Versions during Blackest Night.

Michael Holt as Mr Terrific in Present Day with Flashbacks to Terry Sloane and him as a Black Lantern.

It was Michael Holt's first appearance in JSA for me.

At the time, I didn't even know there had been a Golden Age Mr. Terrific. I wasn't sure if Johns was retroactively adding a new JSA hero to the roster the way Amazing Man got added in after the fact or what.

And Holt remains my favorite Terrific. I actually think he's one of the best characters DC has, and is terribly underused.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.