View Poll Results: Who was the first "Mister Terrific" (from DC) you ever read about?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane) - 1st appeared Sensation Comics #1 (1942)

42 39.25%
  • Michael Holt - 1st appearance in Spectre #54 (June 1997) / was also in the New52

61 57.01%
  • Kingdom Come / Earth-22 version of Mr. Terrific - 1st appearance in Kingdom Come #1

1 0.93%
  • Liberty Files version of Terry Sloane - 1st appearance in JSA: The Liberty Files #2 (March 2000)

2 1.87%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

1 0.93%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    . . . At the time, I didn't even know there had been a Golden Age Mr. Terrific. I wasn't sure if Johns was retroactively adding a new JSA hero to the roster the way Amazing Man got added in after the fact or what.
    At least Markus Clay was the grandson of Will Everett, who worked with members of the JSA during WWII as part of the larger All-Star Squadron, so there was a (slight) connection with him, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    At least Markus Clay was the grandson of Will Everett, who worked with members of the JSA during WWII as part of the larger All-Star Squadron, so there was a (slight) connection with him, too.
    I wish they had done more with Amazing Man (each of them). Great character, fun name, surprisingly decent design on the first two, and a powerset you dont see too often in DC.

Okay, so correct me if Im wrong here, but didnt Everett debut in the 70's or something under Roy Tomas? He wasn't an original Golden Age character right? That's who I was referring to, not the Markus Clay Amazing Man from Johns' second JSA run (which wasn't nearly as good as his first IMO)
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

holt. waiting for him to return to his former glory as chairman of the jsa.

It's kinda crazy, but my first Mr. Terrific was his last. It was Terry Sloan in the JLA issue in the late 70s (JLA/JSA crossover) in which he was murdered by the Spirit King.

. . . correct me if Im wrong here, but didnt Everett debut in the 70's or something under Roy Tomas?
    Roy Thomas is correct, but it was in the 1980s (1983), not the 70's.

He wasn't an original Golden Age character right?
    Well, . . . yes and no.

The Will Everett-version was not a Golden Age character, though he was created as being active during that time (1940s/WWII).

And there was a Golden Age character named "Amazing Man" published by Centaur starting in 1939.

That character was created by . . . (William) "Bill" Everett.

Golden Age Terry Sloane, although I read about him in a Silver Age comic. (The JSA/JLAS crossover - is that still the Silver Age?)

I have trouble getting past the name, which seems to me like one of those corny, nonspecific, superlative names, common in the Golden Age, that just seems bland beyond words to me. (I'm sure Superman might seem like a bland name too, in the abstract, but it carries the weight of the character's success - it's a household word.) I didn't mind when Terry Sloane showed up with it, but I found it strange that a modern hero like Michael Holt would want to use it.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Golden Age Terry Sloane, although I read about him in a Silver Age comic. (The JSA/JLAS crossover - is that still the Silver Age?)
    Depends on which issue(s) it was you first read him in; the annual meetings started in the Silver Age, but in the early 1970s (between 1970 and maybe 1973 or so?) we transitioned to the Bronze Age.

It looks like Mr. Terrific was in
    #37-38 (1965)
    #55-56 (1967)
    #64-65 (1968)
    #82 (cameo appearance / 1970)
    #101-102 (1972)
    #171-172 (death; 1979)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I have trouble getting past the name, which seems to me like one of those corny, nonspecific, superlative names, common in the Golden Age, that just seems bland beyond words to me. (I'm sure Superman might seem like a bland name too, in the abstract, but it carries the weight of the character's success - it's a household word.) I didn't mind when Terry Sloane showed up with it, but I found it strange that a modern hero like Michael Holt would want to use it.
    Did you read Holt's origin story in The Spectre #54 (1997)?
    (That might help it make more sense.)

Terry Sloane was the first Mr. Terrific I read about, although it was really in the context of "crowd scene member #3" in All-Star Squadron and his entry in the original Who's Who. The first story with him actually participating in it that I recall reading was National Comics #1, part of the Justice Society Returns series of one-shots leading up to the launch of JSA #1 in 1999, and written by Mark Waid....and I didn't really like his portrayal of Mr. Terrific. Terry Sloane is supposed to be this pinnacle of human physical and especially intellectual development, and Waid, instead of focusing on that, instead uses it as a justification for claiming that Sloane was actually also the peak of human emotional and moral development, with an unassailable moral clarity that Sloane just assumes is also obvious to everybody else, only to have an emotional breakdown when the Allies start the bombing of Dresden, Germany. It comes off as Mark Waid at his preachiest, and preachy Mark Waid is just the absolute worst Mark Waid.

Did you read Holt's origin story in The Spectre #54 (1997)?
    (That might help it make more sense.)
    Yes. And still...
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

You know, I only found out about the existence of Terry Sloane last year. I was dying of laughter when it turned out that it was a real character and not a joke about what Holt would have been like in the olden days.

Currently we have
    * Michael Holt (1st appearance: Spectre #54, June 1997) = 30 votes
    * Terry Sloane (the Golden Age Mr. Terrific) = 17 votes
    and Denirac voted "other".

Terry Sloane in a JLA/JSA team up.

Roy Thomas is correct, but it was in the 1980s (1983), not the 70's.

Well, . . . yes and no.

The Will Everett-version was not a Golden Age character, though he was created as being active during that time (1940s/WWII).

And there was a Golden Age character named "Amazing Man" published by Centaur starting in 1939.

That character was created by . . . (William) "Bill" Everett.
    Nice. Thanks for filling me in. I had no idea there had been a Golden Age version of the character from another company. I wonder if/when DC bought the rights to the name, or if the name just drifted into ownership limbo like Captain Marvel did at one point, or if DC bought the whole company?

Also, I really hope that when the JSA return, we get an Amazing Man along with them. It's a character concept I used to love (he was the only reason I bought Extreme Justice back in the day), but he's been gone for so long I actually forget he exists until someone brings him up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    holt. waiting for him to return to his former glory as chairman of the jsa.
    Same here. Also can't wait to see him in The Terrifics series.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Terry Sloane, in classic pre-Crisis JLA/JSA team-ups. Including his death, in JLA #171.
    Currently buying:
    Print: Superman, Nightwing, Super Sons, Doomsday Clock, Young Justice, Books of Magic, Batman: Creature of the Night, Ascender, Birthright, Black Hammer, . Digital: Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman Beyond, Flash, Justice League, Titans, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Wild Storm, Terrifics, Naomi, The Dreaming, Star Wars, Black Science, The Magic Order, Gideon Falls, Giants, Archie, Riverdale, Maxwell's Demons.