View Poll Results: Who was the first "Mister Terrific" (from DC) you ever read about?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Age Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane) - 1st appeared Sensation Comics #1 (1942)

42 39.25%
  • Michael Holt - 1st appearance in Spectre #54 (June 1997) / was also in the New52

61 57.01%
  • Kingdom Come / Earth-22 version of Mr. Terrific - 1st appearance in Kingdom Come #1

1 0.93%
  • Liberty Files version of Terry Sloane - 1st appearance in JSA: The Liberty Files #2 (March 2000)

2 1.87%
  • Other (please explain in a separate post)

1 0.93%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retired

I aways got TV's Mister Terrific and Captain Nice confused. I was even more confused when ACTION COMICS No. 354 showed up in Ryan's Drugstore--I was sure this was the guy from the TV and I wasn't happy when I got the comic home and it wasn't anything like either TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    First Mister Terrific I ever read about was Terry Sloane. Unfortunately for him, he also died in the same story.
    I suspect our childhoods had a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nice. Thanks for filling me in. I had no idea there had been a Golden Age version of the character from another company. I wonder if/when DC bought the rights to the name, or if the name just drifted into ownership limbo like Captain Marvel did at one point, or if DC bought the whole company?
    As far as I'm aware, the character fell into "public domain" status.

Back in the early 1990s, Malibu released a comic book series called The Protectors made up of various characters, many based on Golden Age heroes in the public domain, and Amazing Man was one of them.

I believe Marvel acquired many of Malibu's properties towards the mid-1990s (including characters from the Ultraverse), but that would have still left the old Golden Age versions of characters in the public domain.

BANNED

I think you can read Kingdom Come a dozen times and still not notice there's a Mr. Terrific in there somewhere.

It's certainly not possible to read about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderboy12 View Post
    Terry Sloane, in classic pre-Crisis JLA/JSA team-ups. Including his death, in JLA #171.
    That my answer too. I can't remember if I saw him before JLA #171 but that one definitely stuck with me above the other JLA/JSA team ups.

The amount of people unaware of Terry makes me feel very old. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    The amount of people unaware of Terry makes me feel very old. ;-)
    You're not old until those damn kids start hanging around on your lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    . . . The amount of people unaware of Terry makes me feel very old. ;
    Especially since Geoff Johns did include the past version of Terry in JSA stories in 2002 (JSA #41-42); 2003 (JSA: All Stars #7); and 2005 (JSA #68-72).
    Also, Paul Levitz had Terry's ghost help save Jakeem back in JSA #85 (in 2006).

Retired

Not to mention Michael Chabon writing that special story about the original Mister Terrific in JSA: ALL STARS 7, in 2003--"The Strange Case of Mr. Terrific and Doctor Nil." (Well, I just mentioned it.)

I keep meaning to re-read KINGDOM COME--ever since I put down the fourth issue, back in 1996--but I never get around to it. Apparently there was a lot of stuff going on in those comics that I missed, because I was just following the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nice. Thanks for filling me in. I had no idea there had been a Golden Age version of the character from another company. I wonder if/when DC bought the rights to the name, or if the name just drifted into ownership limbo like Captain Marvel did at one point, or if DC bought the whole company?

Also, I really hope that when the JSA return, we get an Amazing Man along with them. It's a character concept I used to love (he was the only reason I bought Extreme Justice back in the day), but he's been gone for so long I actually forget he exists until someone brings him up.
    Centaur went out of business in 1942, it's characters are public domain.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur_Publications
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

And now we are up to
    * Michael Holt (1st appearance: Spectre #54, June 1997) = 33 votes (+3)
    * Terry Sloane (the Golden Age Mr. Terrific) = 22 votes (+5)
    * Kingdom Come / Earth-22 version of Mr. Terrific = 1 vote
    * "other" = 1 vote (no change)

Boisterously Confused

This is one of those where the accurate answer is not necessarily the right answer.

I first encountered Mister Terrific as Terry Sloane. Initially, as an image in a JSA "class photo", then as a flashback after his murder (missed the preceding issue), and then as a Who's Who in the DCU entry.

But all that, to me, was a cipher.

The first character under that alias I encountered was Holt. The orbiting T-Spheres fascinated me. That he didn't manage to "Wolverine" (that is, arise to prominence) has always surprised me. He was really designed as a Man Of Tomorrow For Our Times.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-10-2018 at 06:49 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

First read about Michael Holt in Checkmate. Still love that series (except for the last arc).

(this forum will kill me.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

One month later we (okay, "I") find we're at:
    * Michael Holt (1st appearance: Spectre #54, June 1997) = 36 votes (+3)
    * Terry Sloane (the Golden Age Mr. Terrific) = 23 votes (+1)
    * Kingdom Come/Earth-22 version of Mr. Terrific = 1 vote (no change)
    * "other" = 1 vote (no change)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    First read about Michael Holt in Checkmate. Still love that series (except for the last arc).

(this forum will kill me.)
    Not relevant on this forum but I'll stand with you on CHECKMATE, it was a good series (I liked what was doen with Fire and Madame Marie in particular).

To bring this back vaguely on topic, it would becool if Michael's time with CHECKMATE was acknowledged somewhere in modern continuity.

Terry Sloane for me, although Michael Holt is probably my favorite.
    I still have a fondness for the original though.

I was aware of him before the story where he dies, but can't remember which JLA/JSA team up he appeared in that I first saw him in. May have been that silver age double page spread where the entire JSA roster was seated and "posing" for a picture.