Default NJPW G1 Climax 2017

So the G1 tournament is officially started, so far we have had Naito vs Ibushi and Sabre Jr vs Tanahasi some good matches from them. Same as previous year they got a stacked roster for the event. I cannot see Omega winning back to back, but maybe it is time to give Okada a 3rd win of the G1 due to him being one of the best if not they best wrestler in the world. His matches with Omega this year have been absurdly good and we have a 3rd match up coming during G1. If Omega wins this match they would be 1 and 1 plus a draw so that could lead to Omega winning G1 again to have a showdown with Okada at the Tokyo Dome once again. It would be extremely hard to top last years match, but whatever matches they are in Omega and Okada continue to prove they are the best in the world with maybe the exception of AJ Styles being better.

Fantastic Member

Gonna watch later as I'm not doing them early morning hours to catch it live. Looking forward to Naito/Ibushi, if only because Ibushi gets to FINALLY use his own name again.

It is nice he is Ibushi again instead of Tiger Mask, I would like to see him in the finals he is very good and like most in the tournament he can have great matches with anyone there. Love G1 but it is a lot to watch over the next month. So many good wrestlers in it really hard to choose a winner as many of them deserve a shot at being the winner and going to Tokyo Dome against Okada.

Incredible Member

8 days of Great Wrestling.

I think my top 5 are:

Ibushi vs Naito
    Sabre vs Ibushi
    Elgin vs Omega: Omega took 2 Backdrop Drivers and a Burning Hammer
    Elgin vs Okada
    Ishii vs Makabe

Omega vs Suzuki, Tana vs Nagata, and Tana vs Sabre were also great.

Ibushi is the MVP so far. Dude just makes his job look easy. Naito has been in a weak stretch, but I think we'll be seeing some of his best work coming up since he's still got Goto, Ishii, Makabe, Sabre, and Tana.

Elgin beating Omega has me sticking to my final of Elgin vs Naito. I think Omega wins the rest, beats Okada, and the tie breaker will give Elgin the win. Ever since Naito vs Elgin in Feb, I've become an Elgin believer. I think it's the 90's AJPW fan in me.

This is my first actual G1. Up until I signed to NJ World in Jan, I usually just went to Daily Motion to catch the matches. I learned my lesson watching the BOTSJ, and haven't watched everything. I don't want to get burnt out and I don't have the time, so I've been catching the most talked about matches.

Incredible Member

Fantastic Member

- **** Jim Cornette and the old wrestling guard, Kenny vs Yano was solid gold

- I figured they were building Sanada, but EVIL's the one putting in the work this year for LIJ

- Naito's gonna win this whole thing. He's the only viable non champion pick

- New Japan can give lessons to WWE on ring psychology, as I've had no english commentary for some time now, and yet im not lost at all with ANY of the stories

- Juice is a warrior, and will hopefully get his respect once he goes back to the WWE (he's on a "reverse excursion" imo)

- Tana's arm at this point better be a work, or he might end up joining the rest of stubborn japanese wrestlers who **** themselves over

this was bad on kenny and the ref. glad evil was seriously injured.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post

this was bad on kenny and the ref. glad evil was seriously injured.
    I personally think it happened on the flip-rana first, then made worse by the second V trigger. I know Kenny's probably gonna fall into depression over this, cuz he prides himself in being a safe worker, but EVIL got a nice easy night the next day by tagging with Takahashi. Think last night was Okada though, haven't watched yet, so that's gonna smart

Incredible Member

Evil was okay, and was back at it today. On top of that Evil is now the first man to beat Okada in like 366 days. Sanada was thought to be getting the push for the G1, ended up being Evil.

Juice upset Omega

Elgin over came the SG bullshit to beat Suzuki. Which gives Elgin a US and Never shot. Not to mention a possible brief case shot if Omega were to win, which he won't.

Way it looks now everything is leading to Evil vs Naito in the final.

However the mind of Gedo is a mystery. I'd mark so hard if Okada still won his block and had to face Tanahashi in the final.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 08-05-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Zack Sabre Jr is amazing just top notch submission wrestler, he had Ishii bent in every direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dredd View Post
    Zack Sabre Jr is amazing just top notch submission wrestler, he had Ishii bent in every direction.
    i'm not a big ZSJ fan but this is true.