Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    Ewing's best selling books is Royals lmao! and it's on issue 4 but sold 17,007 est. Like why does Marvel put Al on so many books?
    Ewing is a good writer, usually. But the Inhumans just don't sell. Rocket doesn't sell because the GOTG solos are trash, US Avengers was never a good idea and Ultimates 2 is just too obscure.

Looking at the trailer for their TV series, I doubt this will change lol.
    Last edited by Magneto; 07-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    I'm also glad with Secret Empire's numbers. Maybe Marvel will finally get that we're tired of events after events.
    If it were a guarantee that every event would sell as well as SE is selling right now, they'd never stop.

Two issues in the Top Ten at high numbers is not a sign that anyone is "tired" of events.

Marvel will give them a rest for a time but in the meantime I would expect they're more than happy with SE's performance.

Ewing's best selling books is Royals lmao! and it's on issue 4 but sold 17,007 est. Like why does Marvel put Al on so many books?
    Because he's a great writer. It's a shame his books seem to struggle but his stuff is always quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If it were a guarantee that every event would sell as well as SE is selling right now, they'd never stop.

Two issues in the Top Ten at high numbers is not a sign that anyone is "tired" of events.

Marvel will give them a rest for a time but in the meantime I would expect they're more than happy with SE's performance.
    I know that. But when you look at the past events, it's not very good.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Well, he's a critically acclaimed writer, and having a bunch of praised books doesn't hurt, does it? I've also heard he's an exclusive writer for Marvel; couldn't find confirmation of this anywhere, but if it's true, it might help. The thing is, Marvel is not giving him any sure fire winners. A Rocket solo? An Inhumans book that doesn't even have ''Inhumans'' on the title? A whacky title like U.S.Avengers with a bunch of D-listers? Ultimates could have potential, but never really caught on for some reason. At the current sales slump Marvel is going through, odds are those would be selling around the same, no matter who was writing them (except for maybe Ultimates if it was written by, IDK, Jonathan Hickman). I guess his most stable book during ANAD Marvel was New Avengers, so the replacement with U.S.Avengers ended up being a bad exchange.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 07-17-2017 at 02:08 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Secret Empire is not bombing, but this is surprisingly low for a comic book event.

Now Luke Cage and Nick Fury on the other hand are bombing, along with America and Monsters Unleashed.
    Yeah, I can't think that's the outcome Marvel would want from Secret Empire.

I pulled in the Secret Wars totals and Empire is seriously underperforming by comparison.
    Issue 1st printing 2nd printing 2nd printing Ranking Total
    SW #1 527,678 7,988 8,676 1 544,342
    SW #2 210,807 9,540 5,480 1 225,827
    SW #3 218,000 --- --- 1 218,000
    SW #4 221,041 --- --- 1 221,041
    SW #5 204,416 --- --- 1 204,416
    SW #6 192,244 --- --- 4 192,244
    SW #7 177,019 --- --- 4 177,019
    SW #8 169,667 --- --- 1 169,667
    SW #9 149,028 --- --- 2 149,028
    Secret Wars HC ($50) 5,405 --- --- 8 5,405
    TOTALS --- --- --- --- 2,106,989

Friends,

Please give the next issue of Scarlet Spider a try. PAD is writing a really great book with compelling Spidey characters!

Next issue sees Scarlet vs Scarlet / Ben vs Kaine! It should be sensational!

-Pav, who hopes you'll check it out...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member

Any book that places two issues in the Top Ten isn't bombing. Landing outside the Top 50 is bombing posted by prof. warren

damn! IMO should be after this... IMO.....wow

yeah folks this is an opinion and I'm so glad it is.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    Ewing is a good writer, usually. But the Inhumans just don't sell. Rocket doesn't sell because the GOTG solos are trash, US Avengers was never a good idea and Ultimates 2 is just too obscure.

Looking at the trailer for their TV series, I doubt this will change lol.
    Nah! New Marvel TV shows never effect sales figures and certainly not this particular Inhuman TV series. Soule wasn't as bad as this on issue 4 on both his Inhuman and Uncanny Inhumans books. I just don't like worrying about when it's going to be cancelled
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-17-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I can't think that's the outcome Marvel would want from Secret Empire.

I pulled in the Secret Wars totals and Empire is seriously underperforming by comparison.

Issue 1st printing 2nd printing 2nd printing Ranking Total
    SW #1 527,678 7,988 8,676 1 544,342
    SW #2 210,807 9,540 5,480 1 225,827

SW #3 218,000 --- --- 1 218,000
    SW #4 221,041 --- --- 1 221,041
    SW #5 204,416 --- --- 1 204,416
    SW #6 192,244 --- --- 4 192,244
    SW #7 177,019 --- --- 4 177,019
    SW #8 169,667 --- --- 1 169,667
    SW #9 149,028 --- --- 2 149,028
    Secret Wars HC ($50) 5,405 --- --- 8 5,405
    TOTALS --- --- --- --- 2,106,989
    posted by iron Maiden

thank you sir for posting this ! I'm sure we see here that the VARIANT gimmicks to sell this trash didn't work!!!

it kinda seems like WE HAVE SMART MARVEL readers who voted with their wallets!! and ALL the news readers are out money...

Extraordinary Member

It's hard to know to what extent Ewing doesn't sell and to what extent he gets books and casts that don't have a lot of sales potential. Probably a bit of both.

As for events, I fear like we're getting the worst of both worlds. Event fatigue is clearly real, but the events are selling well enough that Marvel is never going to give up doing them. I predict a lot more extra issues and extra artists and gimmicks used to wring as many sales as possible out of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Because he's a good writer but no one wants to read about other obscure characters.

Also, Avengers got a huge rebound in sales yeesh.
    Secret Empire tie-in, iirc. Hmm, wasn't June the X-Men trading cards variant month? Did Avengers get a trading card?
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Avengers 8 sold almost twice as Avengers 7, lol, how come? Did they order it for a mystery geek box or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Avengers 8 sold almost twice as Avengers 7, lol, how come? Did they order it for a mystery geek box or something?
    Ok, apparently, it was MJ month, not reused Jim Lee X-Men art. Not sure what the qualifier is for this specific variant but it's usually something like order 90-200% of a previous issue.

Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    That's the most books under the cancellation line I've ever see Marvel have.
    Some of those books we know sell well in other formats (Ms Marvel, Moon Girl & Squirrel Girl) so it's no a huge deal.

Some are minis which are ending anyway (Swamp Thing) and some are cancelled already (Nova, Occupy Avengers), Isn't there rumours that Spider-Man 2099 is ending? That would be sad but it had a good run and hopefully David's run on Scarlet Spider is a lengthy one. I'm sure things like US Avengers are on the chopping block. I'd echo the sentiment that it's more the books Ewing is given than a problem with him as a writer.
    Last edited by Orbus; 07-17-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Because he's a good writer but no one wants to read about other obscure characters.

Also, Avengers got a huge rebound in sales yeesh.
    That's right the fault is of the mutant readers for not buying Inhumans .

Well some of those titles were already destined to disappear after SE.

I'm glad All New Wolverine has improved sales.
    Iceman did not go very well for a 1 issue but still are numbers compatible with solo comics.

Jean and GX are in the safe zone for now.

Kamala is not selling well on the solo but they say she sells a lot more digital copies so do not know how to evaluate.

X-men Gold and Blue are selling well but as most have a small drop every month.

I celebrate every issue that Ultimates survives.
    Last edited by Knives; 07-17-2017 at 12:42 PM.