Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Joker's non-plussed reaction to everything was just hilarious. Heck, he didn't even kill anyone in this issue .

Poor Kite-Man .

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Haven't read the issue yet, just read the article below on the Joker v Riddler war. Kite Man? For real?

http://heroicuniverse.com/riddler-vs...ld-batman-foe/

BANNED

Cheap death of a child caused by an uncharacteristically evil Riddler in order to give his pet character Kite-Man some pathos? Seems about right for King I guess. Batman is a complete incompetent who bullies and intimidates some guy who's just trying to get by, conscripts him into his war, gets his son KILLED...again, not surprising coming from King. And Batman giving some weak, half-assed spiel about getting vengeance for a man whose child died, a child who Batman WILLINGLY put in danger, and then goes on about his merry way?....yeah I don't know. That just feels insulting. I suppose it fits the general theme of King's run that Batman is a failure who does more harm than good.

The war was complete background noise while we're being told that people are dropping left and right like flies. Gotham is supposed to be on the brink of annihilation, but we don't really see any of it. Hell, a huge clash between Batman, the Joker and the Riddler, which SHOULD have been a big, exciting sequence, is just rushed through in the background of one two-page spread.

I know people will like it because "Kite-Man hell yeah xD!" but I was disappointed. Shame too, because the art was great.

Mighty Member

I didn't like at all the characterisation of the riddler: he is not a psycho-killer, contrary to the Joker: I really don't see him killing children. And yes, Batman seems fairly incompetent, almost guilty. But even if it's not a great "mainstream" comics, it's the best Batman comics with Kite-man that I have read (and a really good story) .

Tom Kings is a great writer for me: he can be the next Morrison or Moore. But he is not fit to write Batman monthly: for this kind of iconic character, you need someone like Geoff Johns or Snyders: a very good writer who at the same time understand the market. Batman (and the Joker) is a complex character who, in his comics, needs to be written like a Fast and Furious movie.
    Last edited by lordozone; 07-19-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I don't think we have seen the real big "war" yet. Remember, this wasn't Bruce's narration so I think that the worse is yet to come. I think once we get into the heart of it, THEN that's when we will see harshness of the war and whatever happened that Riddler, still blames Batman for and whatever secret he kept to himself until now.

So this is just the beginning, the ramp up. The Kite-Man story was just a commercial, if you will.

But the art, hands down, one of the best and most colorful books I've seen in a long time.

Kite Man is now one of my favorite bat villains
    Its a story like this
    That makes the silly rogues interesting
    Kite Man Hell Yeah started out as this kinda funny meme but then it became so sad with the context of tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Kite Man is now one of my favorite bat villains
    Its a story like this
    That makes the silly rogues interesting
    Kite Man Hell Yeah started out as this kinda funny meme but then it became so sad with the context of tragedy
    I know. Darn you Tom King! I think you know what you are doing after all!

Extraordinary Member

Well that was certainly underwhelming.

Incredible Member

So did clay face drop batsman and is working for riddler now? Or is this is something detective comics is going to ignore and there was a miscommunication

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    So did clay face drop batsman and is working for riddler now? Or is this is something detective comics is going to ignore and there was a miscommunication
    This story takes place in the past, about a year after Zero Year.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    This story takes place in the past, about a year after Zero Year.
    Thank you for clearing this up for me!

This issue could be better but i still liked it and i was glad to see Kite-man be in the spotlight. I didn't like art much because of different inkers and Gabe Eltaeb colors don't fit well with Mann's art. His art was much much better in issue 24.

I liked it. It said "Interlude" so that's what I took it as. Im eager to get to the action and betrayal and what have you but with 8 issues, it's got time to breathe and develop. The riddler does feel brutal but he's young, and this is a situation I've never seen him in before... he's definitely a threat. I liked the part when Joker couldn't tell if it was a joke or a riddle, his whole attitude in this arc has been funny (just not for him lol) and different.

Tom King has won me over on this run. His writing is quirky, but it's dope and has its own style. The comment about it not being the right fit for Batman monthly is valid, but I disagree. I love that Batman feels unique.
    Last edited by SicariiDC; 07-20-2017 at 03:19 AM.
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

BANNED

Riddler was totally sexing it up...showing off those abs and the ? scar.....it's nice to see some Man candy in comics

The story was great and read very well. The pacing and connections were cool. Clayface's abduction was funny.

The Joker himself isn't being funny, but there some good laugh moments in this very dark story.

I had nightmares about kite people last night. I blame King