Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Default Classics: Battle Chasers by Cliffhanger Comics

Who here loved Battle Chasers back in the late 90's? I loved the whole Cliffhanger line of books but Battle Chasers was without a doubt my favorite book in the line thanks to Joe Mad's amazing art and the fun plot and characters. This book was highly anticipated at the time and I remember my LCS having a sign up noting only one copy per customer and the title ran hot for a while despite the extreme lateness, too bad it ended and never really finished the story. Unfortunately the entire Cliffhanger line of books had lazy creators attached to it and the books lost a lot of steam when readers bailed out, but boy o' boy were these books fun.

Battle Chasers was by far the most entertaining book from Cliffhanger. It would have been nice if they had finished the story and not just abandoned the series.

I wouldn't say that Cliffhanger had lazy creators. Some of them may have been. Both Crimson and Out There were more or less on time.

Fantastic Member Bslythegamerguy's Avatar

Joe Mad was as lazy as they came. Me and my friend used to joke about him living in a one bedroom apartment loaded with empty pizza boxes and cans of mountain dew, crashing on a futon with pages of Battle Chasers all over the place, half completed. Ah, the memories.

I tried this series out a couple years ago and I didn't think it was very good. The characters felt like barely developed cliches and the whole thing just felt like a bunch of pastiches thrown together. There were some aspects that reminded me of a really poor-man's version of Fullmetal Alchemist (and I totally get that FMA came out later).

The art is nice and some of the character designs were good, but it really needed a real writer.

For Cliffhanger, I thought Steampunk was by far the best book and would have been a classic if the lettering was better (I think the lettering on that series is ATROCIOUSLY gaudy and unfortunately makes the whole thing almost unreadable). Crimson had incredible art, probably the best Ramos has ever looked, but I found most of the characters kind of annoying and thought the writing was a little subpar.

With most of the Cliffhanger books, if you changed one or two things they would have been amazing, but the faults they had were really serious and kind of doomed each of those individual books. But that was a superb collection of artists for sure.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Yeah, it was pretty great, but Danger Girl was my favorite of the line. Behind the t & a was a really solid Bond parody type book. Just absolutely great fun.