Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Hawkgirl #2 Preview

Hawkgirl #2 Preview
    Writer: Jadzia Axelrod
    Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan

The return of Hawkgirl and the stealth Galaxy solo!

It doesn't pay to be twins sometimes.

Is that supposed to be Kat her girlfriend from her GN? She went pretty hardcore Butch since their teenage years.

Poor Kendra. I bet Shayera doesn't have these problems .

DC really screwed Kendra with this stealth Galaxy book. In what universe is that a good idea? Was there no other writer willing to write Hawkgirl?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I wasn't adverse to putting Galaxy in this book, but I really hope she doesn't wind hogging screentime from Kendra.

Like if this was a Batman book then fine plug your character, Batman gets plenty of books. But this is a character who gets way less play, its not really the time for plugging.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    DC really screwed Kendra with this stealth Galaxy book. In what universe is that a good idea? Was there no other writer willing to write Hawkgirl?
    Even as someone who likes Galaxy it feels like a bit much.

What is Kendra's deal in this book? Does she still have wings that are a of metal itself one of a rainbow of cosmic metals?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What is Kendra's deal in this book? Does she still have wings that are a of metal itself one of a rainbow of cosmic metals?
    I just finally read #1 and yes she still has the Nth metal wings she got in the last volume of JLA. I gotta say I didn't love the first issue but I also didn't hate it. I like the art but I'd like the story more if it actually focused more on Kendra herself. Not sure if I'll continue with it or not.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I just finally read #1 and yes she still has the Nth metal wings she got in the last volume of JLA. I gotta say I didn't love the first issue but I also didn't hate it. I like the art but I'd like the story more if it actually focused more on Kendra herself. Not sure if I'll continue with it or not.
    I agree. I find the art to be pretty great and I like her look. But for the same reasons this issue will be make or break for me as to whether I continue or drop.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I want to like this but it does feel like we are learning more about Galaxy than we are Kendra.

And how the former is driving the story more because Kendra is just following along with what she says while being too focused on her identity problems to do anything else.

Invincible Member

I came here to see if anyone was talking about it, but Hawkgirl has been trending recently on "comics twitter" for like all the wrong reasons. Someone grifting and looking for engagement has been claiming that Hawkgirl is gay and trans and doing sex favors for people, or whatever etc. Folks who are fans are like, "Dude that's not even the character you're trying to insult! Stop lying!"

https://twitter.com/heelvsbabyface/s...10212100145547

https://twitter.com/shazamsdad/statu...54526781349962

https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/st...44499072950381

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I want to like this but it does feel like we are learning more about Galaxy than we are Kendra.
    That seems to be the bigger problem. Like is a co-starring series.

And how the former is driving the story more because Kendra is just following along with what she says while being too focused on her identity problems to do anything else.
    Maybe that will change in the next issues and there will be more of Kendra and less of Galaxy.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I came here to see if anyone was talking about it, but Hawkgirl has been trending recently on "comics twitter" for like all the wrong reasons. Someone grifting and looking for engagement has been claiming that Hawkgirl is gay and trans and doing sex favors for people, or whatever etc. Folks who are fans are like, "Dude that's not even the character you're trying to insult! Stop lying!"

https://twitter.com/heelvsbabyface/s...10212100145547

https://twitter.com/shazamsdad/statu...54526781349962

https://twitter.com/NebsGoodTakes/st...44499072950381
    Maybe that person just gave it a superficial read to the book. There is a high LGBT presence in the book for real, but it is not like Hawkgirl is being revealed gay or something.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

So I actually liked this issue more than the first one. Seemed more cohesive and less jumbled. Granted, there are a lot of new characters but I do like Galaxy and the villain seems pretty good. I think the first issue just seemed more messy because it was introducing so much all at once.

I liked Kendra’s “leave me alone!” moment. The dance bit was a bit cheesy but the action that followed was pretty awesome I thought. Especially how she entered the fray with the panel that showed her mace/hammer toss. And the art def continues to impress.

Still wish it was a little more solo, but I am liking it and thought this issue was a step in the right direction.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Hawkgirl #2 Preview
    Writer: Jadzia Axelrod
    Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan

I am a huge fan of the Hawks. All of them. Read every issue of each of their comics. Only series I did not like so far was the Savage Hawkman book. And THIS series makes that book look like perfection. Its just trash.

Kendra doesn't feel like Kendra at all to me. There is something missing in her voice. Not her. Galaxy is obnoxious. Her dog is great though. The villian and her motive is somewhat interesting conceptually but the delivery sucks. Also not a fan of how Kendra is drawn. Too big IMO. I like how she was drawn by Rags or Sadowski. I may continue to read this on the DC Universe app but I am not paying for the issues.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

It's funny that you call the book "trash" but might still read it for free. Maybe you and I just have different definitions of trash...