Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Poll: Who Is Your All-Time Favorite "Wonder Woman" Writer?

Who Is Your All-Time Favorite "Wonder Woman" Writer?

Of all the women and men to write DC's "Wonder Woman" series over the decades, who is your favorite of all time?

Vote on the poll here.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Since the poll isn't open yet, I will just go ahead and list mine. George Perez followed by Greg Rucka, Phil Jiminez and then Gail Simone.

BANNED

almost for me choose between Azzarello or Rucka...

Rucka and Simone
    Jimenez and Perez

Fantastic Member

William Moulton Marston
    Phil Jimenez

Greg Rucka
    George Perez
    William Marston

are my top trio.

1st volumers Martin Pasko, Gerry Conway, and Roy Thomas & 2nd volumers Eric Luke and Phil Jimenez are my best of the rest.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

Astonishing Member

Perez -- though the quality of his stories petered out at the end -- especially when he was no longer illustrating them. Azzarello and Simone just didn't do it for me. Rucka had some good stuff, but his stories were so drawn out in comparison to Perez's more action-oriented tales. Roy Thomas and Gene Colan had an underappreciated from the early 80s. Probably my favorite WW run outside of the Perez stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Perez -- though the quality of his stories petered out at the end -- especially when he was no longer illustrating them. Azzarello and Simone just didn't do it for me. Rucka had some good stuff, but his stories were so drawn out in comparison to Perez's more action-oriented tales. Roy Thomas and Gene Colan had an underappreciated from the early 80s. Probably my favorite WW run outside of the Perez stuff.
    I recently re-read that first Bana-Mighdall arc Chris Merriman drew and Perez wrote. It was well written. I didn't notice how good those issues were before, because I hated Chris Merriman's art so much. The story was great though. Those Amazons made Azz's mud hut dwelling baby killers look like saints. They were cooler too, because they had primitive stuff like poisoned blow darts, in addition to modern weapons like automatic machine guns.

I've been able to vote more than once! The first time I voted for Marston, then I went back to see the results and I was again able to vote; I voted a second time as I thought it didn't register my vote, but then I realised I was able to vote again!

Anyway I voted for Marston. I discovered his work with the archives and was amazed by the creativity and energy that filled each adventures!

After him I would say it is a close tie between Perez, Rucka, Messner-loebs, Newell, Pasko, Thomas and Mishkin. I also liked Gerry Conway who wrote 2 of my favourites pre-crisis stories: the superman vs. Wonder Woman tabloid and WW 329 (the last adventure of the pre-crisis WW).

Simone started strong but it quickly fell apart (not sure what's to blame here: her writing or editorial interference...). Jimenez was fun but too inexperienced. Heinsberg was interesting but totally missed the characterisation of WW, IMO. I definitively need to read Luke's run again as I think it had some good things. Byrne was all over the place. The odyssey was strong for 2 issues. Kanigher was hilarious but missed the point of Diana and her world. Azzarello has some good ideas but I cannot stand his style (too many things feel forced for my taste).
    Previously known as Psyshot