Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Because they had really well put together promotional campaigns? Because you have a lot of people with just 'giant transforming robots and Megan Fox' and don't even have to bother with making sure the film is any good?

People as a species have very low taste.

I do think that what your suggesting helps a particular media to be popular but if the actual content isn't appealing, it won't make the top 20. Once people see/listen/read said media, word of mouth gets around as to whether it's good or bad and then those first views/listens/book purchases tend to drop quite rapidly. Look at the Green Lantern movie as a prime example. Lots of people went to see it the first week because Ryan Reynolds was in it but upon finding out the actual story and excessive humor really weren't a good fit for such a movie, it tanked.

I think sometimes, people decide not to like something simply because it is popular as they take on some sort of mindset as they're above liking such a common thing. At the same time, I can assure you that is not the case with myself and Azzarello's Wonder Woman but in my experience, I've seen cases where someone liked a particular form of media until it became popular and then they wanted nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 08-15-2014 at 05:16 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I do think that what your suggesting helps a particular media to be popular but if the actual content isn't appealing, it won't make the top 20. Once people see/listen/read said media, word of mouth gets around as to whether it's good or bad and then those first views/listens/book purchases tend to drop quite rapidly. Look at the Green Lantern movie as a prime example. Lots of people went to see it the first week because Ryan Reynolds was in it but upon finding out the actual story and excessive humor really weren't a good fit for such a movie, it tanked.

I think sometimes, people decide not to like something simply because it is popular as they take on some sort of mindset as they're above liking such a common thing. At the same time, I can assure you that is not the case with myself and Azzarello's Wonder Woman but in my experience, I've seen cases where someone liked a particular form of media until it became popular and then they wanted nothing to do with it.
    Sometimes.

But more often than not they go watch a cinematographic catastrophe like Transformers or the frelling Twilight films and go "oh my god, this is fantastic, let's go see it again".
    Meanwhile, a lot of actually good stuff dies because nobody's watching/reading it.

So... money... really poor measure of quality.

Sometimes.

But more often than not they go watch a cinematographic catastrophe like Transformers or the frelling Twilight films and go "oh my god, this is fantastic, let's go see it again".
    Meanwhile, a lot of actually good stuff dies because nobody's watching/reading it.

If we're going to boil it down to something like that, then I'd say the only measure of quality is one's personal opinion.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Sometimes.

Pacific Rim struggled to have a sequel. now see how many fast and furious movies have

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    If we're going to boil it down to something like that, then I'd say the only measure of quality is one's personal opinion.
    And you'd be wrong.
    Quality is not a matter of taste. Only whether you like something or not is a matter of taste.

There's a lot of crap that I like that I know are objectively absolutely crap and while I can recognise the great acting, brilliant writing, cinematography etcetera in The Godfather, apart from the music I really don't like those films.

A great many people have incredibly bad taste. It's how things like McDonalds survive.

And you'd be wrong.
    Quality is not a matter of taste. Only whether you like something or not is a matter of taste.

There's a lot of crap that I like that I know are objectively absolutely crap and while I can recognise the great acting, brilliant writing, cinematography etcetera in The Godfather, apart from the music I really don't like those films.

A great many people have incredibly bad taste. It's how things like McDonalds survive.

Please tell me what you feel makes Azzarello's Wonder Woman a quality comic book. I'm interested in hearing your criteria.

Azz as had good and bad things on his run but most have been over done so much already.

Zeus Origin: Over Done why not someone else or the clay origin

Man Haters: Although they are changing still this idea is still have played especially since we might never know why they are doing the sex raids.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-15-2014 at 05:02 PM.