Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

1st-Simone
    2nd-Azzarello

Simone nailed the personality like no one's done before but Azz gave us the best story and supporting characters.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

William Messner-Loebs was narrowly beat out by Azzarello for my favorite.
    Honorable mentions to Perez, Rucka, Jimenez, and Simone.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

I really haven't read much Wonder Woman comics despite my love for the character, so I voted for Perez, Azzarello would be second.
    I read about 20 issues of Byrne's run but didn't think much of it after the first arc.

Of course, THIS is the best Wonder Woman comic ever (the first one I ever read anyway lol)

263-1.jpg

Azz and Rucka.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JanArrah View Post
    I find it weird that Azzarello, the person who literally gets Wonder Woman the least on the entire list is number one.
    my reasoning is different, but I agree - I'm surprised too. I'd have expected all the nostalgics to vote for Perez, maybe some for Rucka and Simone. I guess there's more contemporary readers than nostalgics?
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

My favourite is Greg Rucka, second is Gail Simone.

Gail Simone's characterisation of Wonder Woman was probably my favourite, but her plots outside of the Circle weren't great, Greg Rucka had both engaging plots and an AWESOME Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

I find it weird that Azzarello, the person who literally gets Wonder Woman the least on the entire list is number one. He's dumped on every aspect of her history and he openly admits he never cared for the character until HE started writing her and he didn't really read or research her much before this. He's written a decent quasi-Greco-Roman Mythology story, but he's written the worst Wonder Woman in history. He's also taken a character that has typically been a superhero and turned her into a generic Sword and Sorcery female love interest/sidekick (she isn't the center of the comic at all, the Gods are the center).
    Bingo. I came to the forum basically to write, almost, exactly this comment. Glad somebody else feels the same way. I still enjoy the run, mostly because of the mythology, but I wouldn't consider Azzarello anywhere near my all-time favorite Wonder Woman writer.

Amazing Member

Rucka. Definitely Rucka. I will never forgive DC for messing up his run.

I'm a little surprised and saddened that Eric Luke is so far down. I remember, mostly, liking his run.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    Rucka. Definitely Rucka. I will never forgive DC for messing up his run.

I'm a little surprised and saddened that Eric Luke is so far down. I remember, mostly, liking his run.
    I'd guess he suffers from not being a big name/reputation in terms of writing comics.

But I agree his run was one of the better ones she has had.
    Kurt Angle:"Canada is lacking two things.The first is Olympic heroes,and no Ben Johnson does not count.The second is Memorial Day.We in the States celebrate our heroes by having barbecues.I realise here in Canada you can't have barbecues because you'd be attacked by a moose,a caribou or even a grizzly,it's true! Hold on a second - you'd probably be attacked by a grizzly as well.On second thought..the Grizzlies don't beat ANYBODY here in Vancouver,let alone anywhere else,it's true,it's true!"

BANNED

Azzarello wrote Xena/Red Sonja.. only as a sidekick/secondary character and not a lead.
    Have you actually ever seen/read Xena/Red Sonja?

Roy Thomas wrote a damn good WW.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Amazing Member

Azzarello has done a great job on WW, which is rare. Most of the writers on the list were actively bad on WW (even if they are otherwise great writers).

Even Gail Simone's run wasn't that good.

Nobody tops George Perez though. He is the bar to which all others are measured.

Mighty Member

Only read Marston, Perez and Azzarello's as of yet.

I think Marton's run is more interesting (women superiority, man!) than good, Perez reads like (Love Karen Berger's editorship) a proto Vertigo book and Azzarello & Chiang's as a Jack Kirby book with some serious meta-qualities. Was quite a tie between Perez and Azzarello.

I find it weird that Azzarello, the person who literally gets Wonder Woman the least on the entire list is number one. He's dumped on every aspect of her history and he openly admits he never cared for the character until HE started writing her and he didn't really read or research her much before this.
    No he didn't, but DID when he started to read her. What her core is, and while she isn't on every panel in his and Chiang's story she's the core of it. Everything that is happening is tied to her and her character.

Azzarello even started sobbing recently when talking about leaving the book. Saying Diana is the character he's been most comfortable writing, even if he always thought himself as a Batman-guy. It's quite easy to read that she influenced him as much as she did with War (who looks like whom)?). And Ares has said that: "THE WORLD WILL BE RULED BY WAR. IT'S INEVITABLE.". Give that a thought, what it perhaps could mean for Diana
    Last edited by borntohula; 07-14-2014 at 06:35 AM.

Perez and Rucka are my number 1 and 2 respectively

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I find it weird that Azzarello, the person who literally gets Wonder Woman the least on the entire list is number one. He's dumped on every aspect of her history and he openly admits he never cared for the character until HE started writing her and he didn't really read or research her much before this.
    I think the most charitable thing to say about Azzarello is that his writing just doesn't count as a Wonder Woman run. Nothing in either his background or his tastes was likely to make him understand or be able to engage sympathetically with the character. The character under his run is mostly just a parody, like Frank Miller's versions, or Garth Ennis's parodies of the character. He's tried to uglify and darken her world, and all that shows is that he just has no understanding of what makes a good Wonder Woman book.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison