Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Nothing in either his background or his tastes was likely to make him understand or be able to engage sympathetically with the character.
    May I ask what you believe his background and his tastes to be?

I think the most charitable thing to say about Azzarello is that his writing just doesn't count as a Wonder Woman run. Nothing in either his background or his tastes was likely to make him understand or be able to engage sympathetically with the character. The character under his run is mostly just a parody, like Frank Miller's versions, or Garth Ennis's parodies of the character. He's tried to uglify and darken her world, and all that shows is that he just has no understanding of what makes a good Wonder Woman book.
    Dude read some of Marston's original WW then read Perez's. Perez completly changed her world, cast, and character. In fact just read any pre-Crisis WW story and it is completely different from what Perez did.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    May I ask what you believe his background and his tastes to be?
    I knew him mostly as the writer of the hardboiled snuff book 100 Bullets, and figured he was a crime writer after the manner of Ennis or Miller, neither of whom are favorites. I had actually hoped he was being brought in to upgrade Wonder Woman's villains.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Dude read some of Marston's original WW then read Perez's. Perez completly changed her world, cast, and character. In fact just read any pre-Crisis WW story and it is completely different from what Perez did.
    How so exactly? Perez took a lot from Marston but just took a less, for lack of a better term, 'whimsical' tone.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomFalls View Post
    Rucka. Definitely Rucka. I will never forgive DC for messing up his run.

I'm a little surprised and saddened that Eric Luke is so far down. I remember, mostly, liking his run.
    Seconded!
    Rucka wrote the best Wonder Woman ever!
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Mighty Member

I knew him mostly as the writer of the hardboiled snuff book 100 Bullets, and figured he was a crime writer after the manner of Ennis or Miller, neither of whom are favorites. I had actually hoped he was being brought in to upgrade Wonder Woman's villains.
    While the violence Azzarello puts in his books can be on level of those two, I find his writing to be more like Grant Morrison's. But with the META stuff more hidden in the dialogue and such.

While 100Bullets is big on violence, it's even bigger on social commentary. Everything from class, gender, race to jazz is covered. In fact, it even made me listen to jazz. Can't think of the last time one of Miller's comics did that

And this also holds true in Wonder woman. For example WW#5, where Diana and Zola discusses Lennox saying him being her brother. The conversation can very easily be read into the discussions of why Diana is put into a story where she has a big family, why this won't change her core and why Azzarello digs her as a character.

And while his and Chiang's way of handling the story isn't everyones cup of tea, the character definitely is theirs. Something that's very evident both in the book and in interviews.

And specially Brian in this picture

More here http://radrepresents.com/blog/lisa-p...ian-azzarello/

BANNED

hhhahahaa Azzarello is another man after writing WW.
    he seems much more enganging and friendly

Glad to see Justice is being done.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    hhhahahaa Azzarello is another man after writing WW.
    he seems much more enganging and friendly
    I'v even read that he sobbed recently when telling how much he likes her character. Says quite a lot about a man who doesn't like to write super heroes.

And he's quite literately more than man on the picture. Since Woman is spelled with more letters than man is.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JanArrah View Post
    I find it weird that Azzarello, the person who literally gets Wonder Woman the least on the entire list is number one. He's dumped on every aspect of her history and he openly admits he never cared for the character until HE started writing her and he didn't really read or research her much before this. He's written a decent quasi-Greco-Roman Mythology story, but he's written the worst Wonder Woman in history. He's also taken a character that has typically been a superhero and turned her into a generic Sword and Sorcery female love interest/sidekick (she isn't the center of the comic at all, the Gods are the center).
    Most of that is irrelevant (and rather uninformed). The poll asked for one's favorite Wonder Woman story, not the Wonder Woman story that's closest to the original by Marston. Regardless of what your opinion is, it's clear that most people like Azzarello's Wonder Woman. The fact that it's different from the original does not make it inherently worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghidoran View Post
    Most of that is irrelevant (and rather uninformed). The poll asked for one's favorite Wonder Woman story, not the Wonder Woman story that's closest to the original by Marston. Regardless of what your opinion is, it's clear that most people like Azzarello's Wonder Woman. The fact that it's different from the original does not make it inherently worse.
    Hmmm...

"Most people" is more than half.

Azzarello is not over 50% in this poll.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Glad to see Justice is being done.
    Agreed. 20 years after he left Wonder Woman, Perez still gets almost as many votes as the guy writing the book today.

Quite a legacy.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

It would be interesting to determine how much of the new-ww fans are a real factor.
    How much of them are just fans of Azzarello's work and not much of ww?
    How much of them like her just because it's new and current? Or because they have a limited knowledge of the character as it was before? Or because it's the trend?
    And how much fans of the previous ww are missing because they don't care for ww anymore?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Hmmm...

"Most people" is more than half.

Azzarello is not over 50% in this poll.
    Given that Azz and the not that dissimilar Rucka have 45%, I think it's fair to say that more than 50% like Azz, but like other writers more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Given that Azz and the not that dissimilar Rucka have 45%, I think it's fair to say that more than 50% like Azz, but like other writers more.
    Totally disagree with this statement. I don't find Rucka to be similar to Azz at all.

Based on what you said, why can't someone just claim that all the others are derivative of Perez and Marston and then say it is fair to say that there is more than 50% that likes either of those two??

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't get a crime or noir feel from Azzarello's Wonder Woman either. Azz can write superheroes. And he can do lighthearted and optimistic, which is not something I've seen Rucka do.
    The tone of both books was completely different with the only thing in common being their modernization of the gods. Rucka dealt a lot more with Diana in the 'real world', folding in the mythology with the mundane. Azzarello's pun-filled book barely acknowledges anything outside of the mythological (a trip to the ob/gyn and some cafe scenes, but no real interaction with mortals)