Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Solicit: WW #32-33 [spoilers]

http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-october...solicitations/

So, the solicit text for #32 suggests they're tossing Rucka's work overboard:

“CHILDREN OF THE GODS” part two! Wonder Woman must find out who is targeting Zeus’ children before their sights are set on her! What kind of monster has the power to murder a demigod?!

This is ... not good.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post

“CHILDREN OF THE GODS” part two! Wonder Woman must find out who is targeting Zeus’ children before their sights are set on her! What kind of monster has the power to murder a demigod?!

This is ... not good.
    Nothing in that solicit gives that indication. Especially as Rucka didn't address who her father was, so there's nothing to toss out.

Though that cover makes me think she's now the daughter of Hercules or something. Which again, doesn't require any tossing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post

This is ... not good.
    One that has a poison shirt on hand? Demigod doesn't automatically translate to invincible. Even gods could be killed.

It looks like we'll be hunting demigods.

Watch your backs Hercules, Cassie, Raven, and Isis.

So Grail is trying to revive Darkseid through the energies from Demigods? That sounds like a pretty big deal .

I wonder if this confirms that Jason is also Zeus' son?
    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    It looks like we'll be hunting demigods.

Watch your backs Hercules, Cassie, Raven, and Isis.
    Cassie's not the daughter of Zeus anymore though .

Though this would actually be the perfect premise for bringing her back into the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if this confirms that Jason is also Zeus' son?
    If he is not, why would he even be a part of the story? If he is, does that mean Diana is as well?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Wow! This is a pretty major story for Diana! A plot to revitalize freaking DARKSEID? And it's exclusively in HER BOOK? This is big!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ugh, the more I hear from this arc the less appealing it sounds, and that cover is just gross. Yeah, let's show Diana killing a bunch of animals, that's how we portray the heart of her character!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Ugh, the more I hear from this arc the less appealing it sounds, and that cover is just gross. Yeah, let's show Diana killing a bunch of animals, that's how we portray the heart of her character!
    With the exception of the GIANT SNAKES that were probably trying to kill her, the rest of those animals look like they were already quite dead and there's no evidence that it was by Diana's hand.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I'm sure there's any number of justifications we can think up for why showing Diana next to a bunch of decapitated, bloodied animals is completely fine and the scene probably doesn't even appear in the issue anyway, but the whole imagery is still gross to me and as far away from what Diana should be as possible.

Heck, I'm sure the cover is just meant to be evocative of Heracles and his trials -- we've got the Hydra, Cerberus, the Calsomethingsomething Boar, the Nemean Lion, even the apples of the Hesperides -- which actually somehow makes it even worse. Of all characters, we're gonna associate Diana with Heracles? Really?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    With the exception of the GIANT SNAKES that were probably trying to kill her, the rest of those animals look like they were already quite dead and there's no evidence that it was by Diana's hand.
    I'm pretty sure that's the Hydra. All of that stuff represents a labor of Hercules I believe (the Hydra, Cerberus, the Nemean Lion, the Cretan Bull, the Erymathian Boar, the Apples of the Hesperides).

Which might still be just an artistic way of highlighting the fact that Diana and Jason are children of Zeus like their much more famous half brother, but it is still rather odd.

Heck, I'm sure the cover is just meant to be evocative of Heracles and his trials -- we've got the Hydra, Cerberus, the Calsomethingsomething Boar, the Nemean Lion, even the apples of the Hesperides -- which actually somehow makes it even worse. Of all characters, we're gonna associate Diana with Heracles? Really?
    Better Herc as her dad (IMO) than Zeus. At least the former hasn't been done to death as much as the latter in Greek myth.

Mighty Member

Not looking forward to anymore of this demigod business. One year wasn't a long enough break from that nonsense for me to want to read more of it again.

I'm sure there's any number of justifications we can think up for why showing Diana next to a bunch of decapitated, bloodied animals is completely fine and the scene probably doesn't even appear in the issue anyway, but the whole imagery is still gross to me and as far away from what Diana should be as possible.
    If that scene does happen, it's only a problem if Diana was slaughtering a bunch of innocent animals who were no threat to her. If they were attacking her and her life was in danger, then there's nothing wrong with her defending herself.

Again, this is all assuming that anything like this scene even happens.

1.) For all we know this Heracles is better and more heroic than his Perez-era counterpart. The last time we had any information on Heracles, Diana referred to him as "My noble brother." It's possible this Heracles will end up being someone with whom Diana would be proud to be associated. We'll have to see if the current Heracles is anything like the Heracles that most of us knew.

2.) Diana's all about redemption, right? So even if Heracles is still a scumbag, then Diana appropriating some of his symbols might just be a sign of her seeking to redeem them may be a very "Wonder Woman" thing indeed.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Better Herc as her dad (IMO) than Zeus. At least the former hasn't been done to death as much as the latter in Greek myth.
    Heracles is worse for me because of the specific history he's had with the Amazons and with Hippolyta. In every single pre-Nu52 account he was depicted as her rapist and I'm not going to be partisan about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Diana referred to him as "My noble brother."
    Yuuuuck. Like I said, gross. One quick throwaway line doesn't suddenly blot out seventy years of prior canon.

Heracles is worse for me because of the specific history he's had with the Amazons and with Hippolyta. In every single pre-Nu52 account he was depicted as her rapist and I'm not going to be partisan about that.

Yuuuuck. Like I said, gross. One quick throwaway line doesn't suddenly blot out seventy years of prior canon.
    But we have no evidence that THAT Heracles even still exists. If it turns out he's a completely different Heracles who DIDN'T rape Hippolyta or enslave the Amazons, then yes that DOES erase the past misdeeds of the old Heracles. They would have literally never happened.

There ARE versions of the Heracles myths in which Hippolyta fell in love with Heracles and gave him her girdle as a love token, after all.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--