Extraordinary Member

Default Red Sonja by Torunn Grønbekk and Walter Geovani

Red Sonja #1 Preview (Unlettered)
    Writer: Torunn Grønbekk
    Artist: Walter Geovani

Red Sonja is roaring into a brand new ongoing series for the hallmark celebration of 50 fantastic years across comics, film, and beyond! The first issue will be on sale this July 19, coinciding with San Diego Comic Con.

Critically acclaimed writer Torunn Grønbekk is bringing her trademark flair for powerful women and weapon-wielding heroes (Thor, Valkyrie) to the Hyrkanian heroine for an exciting new era. Initially working closely alongside Eisner-winning writer Jason Aaron on his iconic Thor and recent Punisher stories, Torunn has continued to excite fans as one of the most thrilling rising writers in comics. As fans head toward a hotly anticipated blockbuster film, this 50th-anniversary series sets out to both celebrate the storied legacy of the character and launch a new era for the next 50 years and beyond!

"Growing up in Norway, I was raised on mythology and stories, and it sometimes feels like it has all led up to the work I’m doing now," said writer Torunn Grønbekk. "Badass, complex women are a pillar of our lore, and there are few things I enjoy as much as writing them. Red Sonja is a legend. She is the sword-wielding menace I dreamt about growing up, not only because she is capable but because she is allowed to be vulnerable."

Grønbekk is joined on the series by fan-favorite illustrator Walter Geovani. His contributions to the franchise go back to 2007, nearly to the beginning of Dynamite's publishing of Sonja. Through collaborations and stories like Gail Simone's lauded run, The Price of Blood, the Prophecy event, and crossovers with other legendary figures like Tarzan, Geovani has staked his claim as a definitive modern artist for the character. This combination of Grønbekk and Geovani, alongside colorist Omi Remalante Jr. and letterer Simon Bowland, will be the perfect creative team both for readers who have never checked out Red Sonja and for those who've been fans for decades!

The kickoff of the series finds Red Sonja on the run, framed for a heinous crime she did not commit and with an unseen force tugging at the back of her mind. Fans can expect mirth, violent delights, and hair-raising action. Yet even as Sonja deals with the terrors of war and mysterious magic, the true danger will be threatened by the most unexpected sources. Big surprises await readers, as the creative team pays tribute to the golden anniversary legend while challenging her and the audience's expectations along the journey.

Hmm, looks interesting. I am very much deciding whether I get Red Sonja series on a series by series basis based on creative team. After Mark Russell finished up his run, the only series I have picked up was Unbreakable by Palmiotti and Connor. This one looks interesting enough to give a try.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Interesting MRP, I, too, have been getting Red Sonja series by series. I'm from way back in the Thomas/Noto/Thorne glory days. Bought several of the Dynamite series, but not all-- definitely determined by creators, and series descriptions. And yeah, maybe this one--.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I really enjoyed the FCBD preview, looking forward to the series.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Really enjoyed the first issue. Liked the premise and characterizations, and it had strong visual storytelling.

-M