Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Milestone 2.0? Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime

http://www.cbr.com/catalyst-prime-li...ble-interview/

have you guys heard of this, a new comic book universe with a focus on diversity

Has anyone read the first series, Noble yet? what are your thoughts on it and this Catalyst Prime project?

Astonishing Member

Indeed I have. and so far have been enjoying both Noble, as well as the first issue of Accell.

Noble is excellent. Real quality writing and art. My absolute favorite book.
    Accell is Ok. Very kinetic art. The way his speed is handled is quite interesting.
    Looking forward to Superb which just came out

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum View Post
    Noble is excellent. Real quality writing and art. My absolute favorite book.
    Accell is Ok. Very kinetic art. The way his speed is handled is quite interesting.
    Looking forward to Superb which just came out
    I agree with you on Noble.

Regarding Accell, I enjoy the sheer earnestness of the story so far of a young man, 20 years of age and still very much a kid at heart, gaining powers and choosing to use them the way he feels he should, along with any and all consequences of that choice. There is a sincerity in the presentation that really draws me in. The kinetic artstyle is one of the elements of that presentation, but it's that, together with the others, including Daniel's narration, that brings everything home for me.

Accell only has about half of Noble's issue count right now, but I feel it shouldn't be discounted. I also need to check out Superb, which hopefully I will be able to.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-20-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Read Superb. Never thought I'd see a new style of powerset. Catalyst Prime so far is knocking it out the park.

Mighty Member

I think it's a bit overhyped atm, but it's worth checking out. It's far too early for any sort of definite criticism. Noble is definitely the way to go as far as which ongoing to pick up if you were only going to try one the three out right now, but The Event is what has stuck with me the most. A lot of interesting groundwork there.

Astonishing Member

Was able to read Superb, and boy do I wish issue 2 was out now!

It has the same earnestness as Accell (and Nobel, too, though that book presents it differently), which I definitely appreciate. You can really feel the burning passion in Jonah's sense of right versus wrong (I appreciate that both this character and Daniel take the initiative in using their powers for superheroics), so much that it's hard to see that one guy profiling him in such a dismissive and reductive manner, even if Jonah couldn't hear it. In spite of the man and the reader knowing so little of Jonah at that point, you can still sense the harshness in the presumptuous analysis. In turn, however, it makes for a good counterpoint reveal of what drives Jonah, as long as the reader can catch that the profiling is indeed reductive, and that's pretty cool. Kayla, too, has hints of that same passion, but you can tell its currently bogged down by some serious cynicism on her part, which is why Jonah doesn't feel that the two are on the same page anymore, despite them once having been best friends. Still, I imagine that will change for the better with time.

Among other things, I hope we'll see Jonah's precise origin, along with when/how he decided to start going out as Osmosis and what exactly his power-set entails. I'm also sure Kayla is to have powers of her own, but I wonder what they're meant to be?

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I think it's a bit overhyped atm, but it's worth checking out. It's far too early for any sort of definite criticism. Noble is definitely the way to go as far as which ongoing to pick up if you were only going to try one the three out right now, but The Event is what has stuck with me the most. A lot of interesting groundwork there.
    I argue it's hyped just right. Really, the worry is more under-hyping or not hyping at all, both of which are a problem that tends to happen to new books that aren't the big properties of the Big 2. Them wanting to push this universe is both sound and, in my opinion, overall wise.

Even with just 7 issues there so far, I feel it's paying off, content-wise.

Astonishing Member

Regarding Accell's second issue, it manages to break the boundaries of itself that it established in the first issue, both figuratively and literally.

It seems like Daniel's powers isn't limited to superspeed, but rather superspeed is one facet of it. Apparently, he's some kind of reality warper, and things can get pretty trippy and abstract when he taps into that side of himself. Seriously, kudos to the artist and colorist here! They really sell it as much, and perhaps even more so, as they sold the kinetic energy of a youthful Speedster last issue. I also love how Daniel's narration works so well to seed into what's going on visually as he explores the depths of his powers. The art and writing blend really well here in doing so, and I felt that way already last issue, but they took some steps forward with this one still.

That they expound on what the comic is and will be about here, more than just rookie superheroics (which I very much love) and superspeed, it really bumps Accell up for me. So far, Lion Forge is 3-for-3 in their Catalyst Prime line-up, as far as I'm concerned.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I argue it's hyped just right. Really, the worry is more under-hyping or not hyping at all, both of which are a problem that tends to happen to new books that aren't the big properties of the Big 2. Them wanting to push this universe is both sound and, in my opinion, overall wise.

Even with just 7 issues there so far, I feel it's paying off, content-wise.
    I have to agree. The content so far has been top notch all around and I'm enjoying the energy and, as you said, earnestness of the books so far. So far this new universe has my attention and I can't wait to see what the rest of the line looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    So far, Lion Forge is 3-for-3 in their Catalyst Prime line-up, as far as I'm concerned.
    I feel the same.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I have to agree. The content so far has been top notch all around and I'm enjoying the energy and, as you said, earnestness of the books so far. So far this new universe has my attention and I can't wait to see what the rest of the line looks like.

I feel the same.
    Happy to see another person inside the Forge.

Next month, in addition to the continuation of the current books, we'll be getting our first glimpse at their take on the team book concept with the "Incidentals."

I'm looking forward to it. So far I've enjoyed every book of this new superhero line and they've all been added to my considerable pull. I'm going to give them all a try but if the rest of the titles are as good as these first three I may need to consider cutting some books from my list and moving to trades for some books instead.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

I'm giving them a shot, the FCBD issue (Catalyst Prime: The Event) was really good...

Noble has been ok so far...

I chose to skip Accell...

I really like the concept behind Superb the first issue rocked...

I like what Lion Forge is doing, but man, the #'s on these books are really low, I hope they can stay afloat in this market...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    I'm giving them a shot, the FCBD issue (Catalyst Prime: The Event) was really good...

I like what Lion Forge is doing, but man, the #'s on these books are really low, I hope they can stay afloat in this market...
    I'm assuming that Lion Forge has a lower cancellation threshhold than the larger publisher's have.

Lion's Forge has been excellent. I'm enjoying Noble and Accell. Looking forward to superb.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I'm assuming that Lion Forge has a lower cancellation threshhold than the larger publisher's have.
    Most independent publishers are like that. Their ranges and expectations are vastly different, generally because they know and except that they wouldn't normally be able to make the numbers the likes of DC and Marvel with their high-end stuff anyway. Independents tend to be more reasonable than that.

There's also the serious possibility that they are patiently searching for and accumulating their audience.

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post

If it's worth anything of me to say this, I recommend checking the 2 issues of Accell that are out now first, before skipping the series altogether.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 07-31-2017 at 10:35 AM.