Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Most independent publishers are like that. Their ranges and expectations are vastly different, generally because they know and except that they wouldn't normally be able to make the numbers the likes of DC and Marvel with their high-end stuff anyway. Independents tend to be more reasonable than that.
    True. I read quite a lot of books from independent publishers actually and the bulk of my pull are books from smaller publishers (Aftershock, Valiant, Oni, Dark Horse, Image (I guess they still count as small), IDW and now Lion Forge). I don't recall that I've ever gotten to concerned about the sales numbers on those books though I have, on occasion, wished some Big Two lower sellers were indies instead.

There's also the serious possibility that they are patiently searching for and accumulating their audience.
    Well I, for one, hope they do find their audience. I know they've got me interested.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Well I, for one, hope they do find their audience. I know they've got me interested.
    Same for me, on both accounts.

Astonishing Member

Long post in-coming! And also spoilers, few of which are actually behind spoil tags.

Also, to @JasonTodd428, if you're around, I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on this month's Catalyst Prime issues.

So far, Incidentals seems to be darker in tone. Perhaps about as dark as Noble, if a bit more cynical (though Nobel is doubtlessly cynical-leaning), at least at this stage. I liked it, particularly what it is potentially leading to, but I think a slightly different mind-set is needed when coming in to read it than say Accell or Superb, including staying mindful that it's the first issue of a book that has no compunctions of rushing anything. That's my take for me as well.

Thus far, it seems to be the first book with explicit actions, including someone's microwave powers causing folks to explode in guts (which, to the book's credit, was probably done more tastefully than it absolutely had to be; that is, it could have been gorier). That Alex character, who seems to be the most viewpoint of the "team" (which is not a team yet) alongside his seemingly ex-girl Shannon, really underscored the tone of Incidentals. I mean, talk about an establishing character moment.

spoilers:
    Guy had a seriously abusive father in his childhood, goes on to be a MMA fighter, likely ex-fighter by this point, gains super powers in an unlikely incident along with his girlfriend, loses his girlfriend promptly afterwards and has his "newly cultivated" life pulled out from under him, and retaliates in a dark way by tracking down his, currently drunk, alcoholic, gambling addict of a dad and taunts and lords over him before killing the guy.

I mean, wowzers!
    end of spoilers

It did take a moment or two of study, as I was a little lost at Alex's part, but I eventually figured out the pattern between what was going on in the present and Alex's flashbacks/vivid memories.

This book does have a hopeful spark that lies in the amassing of this new "team", but it's one foreshadowed with dark tidings. They were not kidding about the baggage these guys would bring. Normally, this wouldn't be my kind of story, but the first issue did hook me, as the best openers do, and I'm curious to see where this all will go.

By the way, the name "Incidentals" makes sense after reading the first issue.

spoilers:
    They're all incidental "casualties" of the meteor beach event that inexplicably yet intricately tied disparate individuals together as one. Basically, it's a title that reflects the book's theme.
    end of spoilers

Oh, and Accell and Cosmosis have screen cameos as potential powered recruits, though nothing more is hinted at this time. Just that they're on Chen's radar.

Regarding the newest issues of the other books: Accell's 3rd issue, I feel, cements things for the character and his story; though we don't know word-for-word about who or what Danny was prior to gaining his abilities, we do have enough now to paint a picture. Danny has an unmistakably good heart, but he is also a ditherer. He's unsure of what he wants in his life (his decision to make and put on a costume, while well-intentioned, was one made in whimsy), and that leads him to questioning himself and his choices, and also leads to a certain degree of non-committal issues. His friendship with the appropriately named Buzz underscores those negativities of his. And then there's the reality warping and transcending part of his powers, which are also cemented to his character, including his curiosities towards them. The ending were he questions how deep he wants to dive into that aspect of himself underscores that side.

Pretty much the conclusion of the first arc, as far as I can tell. More than satisfied with Accell.

Superb's second issue is like Accell's second one, in how it further fleshes things out for the leads and the overall story. It also brings one aspect full circle while opening up more questions to be answered in the future (there is definitely more to both Kayla and Gomez than meets the eye). That cliffhanger was downright nasty, though. :< Like, I genuinely don't know how Jonah and Kayla are gonna get outta this mess. Also, there is no such thing as privacy or civil rights in this town, it seems.

Speaking of Gomez, he seems to be slightly less -- how do I put this? -- "bad" than he came off in the last issue with his cold and presumptuous analysis of Cosmosis. He's certainly not good though, but he seems to be driven by what was mentioned to have happened in the last issue. At th time, it came off as something that wouldn't have any strict personal ties to any of the main characters, but it seems that incident at school where the kid lost control of his powers and accidentally blew up is more relevant beyond merely being backdrop justification for the town being essentially low-key militarized. It's not made 100% explicit, but that boy apparently was Gomez's son, and his regret for not being able to save him fuels his decisions today.

Lastly for Superb, I quite like the interactions between Jonah and Kayla. There technically haven't been much yet, but what was there has been surprisingly profound. I also felt it was sweet (for a given lee-way of me saying so, with how serious the moment was) that Jonah immediately goes to Kayla for help getting back into his house and upstairs after the failed Foresight storming. Last issue, you could tell he was somewhat apprehensive of how Kayla had changed since she moved away, with the two drifting apart from his perspective. Despite those apprehensive feelings, however, Jonah's friendship with Kayla is still close enough in his heart that he goes to her for help without hesitation, revealing his identity to her in the process. Cliffhanger aside, that's almost certainly gonna save his life.

Than there's Noble, which I haven't directly spoken about before. It's a little harder to come up with words to initiate talking points about this book for me, but make no mistake, I love the book nonetheless.

One thing I can speak on instantly is that the unabashed comic book Superhero fan inside of me is absolutely ecstatic to have David/Nobel in his costume at long last! It's pretty cool, too!

I can also say that this issue does some cementing of its own. like the 3rd issue of Accell did. In addition to bringing David into his costume, and also to Lorena, it also establishes a new and different antagonistic force in DeMarcus and whatever his agenda is. Really, it's kinda difficult to pin down who the bag guy is between him and Lorena, even if the latter is an "ends justify the means, well-intentioned extremist" to the core. The book further cements things by finally reuniting David with his wife Astrid, albeit, since he still doesn't have his memories, he doesn't recognize her and flies off, almost as if he was running away. It is this moment, along with the fact that Lorena succeeds in capturing David in the first place, that showcases the similar cynical-leaning tones of both Nobel and Incidentals. Oh, and that scene from Catalyst Prime: The Event happens here, officially bookend-ing the first arc.

One last comment about Nobel. So far, David's son (who's name I don't even know; was it even mentioned?) has been "seen" once each issue as a specter of who David really is. He hasn't been seen in the flesh since the first issue, though. I kind of hope that he'll appear again so we can get his own characterization and take on his missing and presumed dead father. We really got a lot of nice moments with Astrid, and I hope we'll be able to have some nice ones with their son, too, and that he'll be more than just the thing unknowingly pulling David to regain his memories. I.e., I hope he'll get to be a character of his own, and not simply just a plot device. We usually aren't privy to the kids' perspective in stories like these, and I'm hoping it'll be different this time around, especially for someone who seems to be such a catalyst for our lead, even more so than the wife who's actively searching for him.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 08-25-2017 at 08:05 PM.

I think that cementing things is an apt description for most of this months issues. My post will not be overly long I don't think since you've already hit most of the points I was going to hit already anyway.

Accell:

"Everything we are is part of something greater."

That quote really struck me when I read it because I feel it got to the heart of what Danny and the other heroes in the Catalyst Prime universe are all about.

I've grown to like Danny a great deal in these three issues. He's been a rather unsure and aimless kid but he has a really good heart and that really shows when he uses his speed in an attempt to save the life of Jesse even though he knows he'll be injured in the process. He's just a regular guy who unwittingly fell into becoming a superhero and I really like that. It makes him more relatable I think. I also like that he feels unsure about whether he wants to be a hero even though he feels he's already crossed that line. I think seeing him come to terms with that will be interesting to see.

I also can't wait to see what the deal is with Monica's father and with Buzz. They are obviously not good people but what exactly is it that they are involved with? Something shady certainly but to what degree? Are they involved with local crime or something more nefarious to do with Foresight maybe? So many questions and I can't wait to see the answers.

All in all this is probably my favorite book in this universe. I like how lighthearted in tone it is compared to something like Superb even though there is a thread of something sinister laying just under the surface. I think that sometimes other publishers have forgotten how to juxtapose the two oftentimes opting for grim dark in those cases.

Superb:

"There is a bigger purpose for people like you. A noble cause to fight for."

There is that idea again but just whose cause does Gomez represent? Is he following Lorena's and Foresight's agenda or his own?
    This issue really seemed to highlight Gomez and made me start to become invested in him along with Kayla and Jonah in spite of the fact that he is clearly not a good guy. I really enjoy it when a writer can do that. When I first started reading Noble I thought I knew who the enemy was in this universe and that it was a pretty cut and dry issue but this issue of Superb has put an interesting wrinkle in that with the possibility of another faction's involvement in whatever the coming battle is. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out and how long Kayla and Jonah can keep themselves hidden from Foresight.

Noble:

"I saved him, Astrid. And I'm saving us all from him."

Lorena is one manipulative little b*tch isn't she? First she tricked David and his crew into attempting to stop the comet for her own designs. Then world into thinking she was saving them from the comet's after effects and now she's pulled David and he wife back into her web of lies. She's an evil woman. And we have yet another person who seems to have his own agenda in DeMarcus. The plot is thickening nicely here and I can't wait to see it resolve. I'm loving the intrigue here and I also hope to see David and his family reunited somehow.

Incidentals

"We are still new at this I suppose...it takes awhile to get it right."

Its only the first issue and I'm already enjoying this book, which is a surprise because this normally wouldn't be my sort of book either. The issue really did a lot though to draw me in and any book that can do that with the first issue will get my support. Its pretty dark in tone but there is also a thread of hope there as well. We have a new team just starting out and trying to figure out how to work together as a unit while also struggling with their pasts. And boy do those pasts have a lot of baggage to deal with. Like you said they were not kidding about that one. The character here that really struck me though was the unnamed girl Nuke and V were attempting to recruit to their cause. I felt particularly drawn to her and can't wait to learn more about her and what her past is.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Astonishing Member

I think that cementing things is an apt description for most of this months issues. My post will not be overly long I don't think since you've already hit most of the points I was going to hit already anyway.

Accell:

"Everything we are is part of something greater."

That quote really struck me when I read it because I feel it got to the heart of what Danny and the other heroes in the Catalyst Prime universe are all about.

I've grown to like Danny a great deal in these three issues. He's been a rather unsure and aimless kid but he has a really good heart and that really shows when he uses his speed in an attempt to save the life of Jesse even though he knows he'll be injured in the process. He's just a regular guy who unwittingly fell into becoming a superhero and I really like that. It makes him more relatable I think. I also like that he feels unsure about whether he wants to be a hero even though he feels he's already crossed that line. I think seeing him come to terms with that will be interesting to see.

I also can't wait to see what the deal is with Monica's father and with Buzz. They are obviously not good people but what exactly is it that they are involved with? Something shady certainly but to what degree? Are they involved with local crime or something more nefarious to do with Foresight maybe? So many questions and I can't wait to see the answers.

All in all this is probably my favorite book in this universe. I like how lighthearted in tone it is compared to something like Superb even though there is a thread of something sinister laying just under the surface. I think that sometimes other publishers have forgotten how to juxtapose the two oftentimes opting for grim dark in those cases.
    Like the quotes you've chosen.

It really makes me wonder who Danny was in the past. Other than that he's a skater in good shape who got powers from sleeping with a meteor fragment, we can only guess what his past was like. Like, is he rich or poor? Does he go to school? Does he live with his parents? Does he work? Why is he so good with cosplay (that is one top-notch costume, especially when you compare it to the costume Jonah puts together in Superb)? From what can be gleamed, Danny is 20 and seemingly on his own. As mentioned, he's a good heart, but maybe not the best head, although it's certainly profound in its thinking.

I do wonder about Monica's dad. This is probably the first book that I don't see directly connected to Foresight at the moment, as I just see Monica's dad being a controlling and possessive jerk who's more than willing to go too far, and otherwise has zero respect for his fellow man. There might be some criminal ties to him. As for Buzz, I'm thinking he's representative of the dalliances apart of Danny's character; that Danny still has him as a friend shows that Danny still has some juvenile baggage to him. He's a stoner, and he'll need to be saved by Accell next issue, but I'm not sure how villainous he'll be beyond being that bad influence on Danny in general.

Interesting that this has edged out as your favorite so far. What really sold me was that aforementioned lighthearted tone, and also how the second and third issues' trippy dimension-breaking kind of had both a sense of foreboding but also a pull of wonderment and a desire to explore and be adventurous/sate curiosity. That's evedent in even Danny's narration, and that was pretty cool of the book to do.

For me, I think Accell is right behind Superb at the moment. There's something about Superb that I really like.

Superb:

"There is a bigger purpose for people like you. A noble cause to fight for."

There is that idea again but just whose cause does Gomez represent? Is he following Lorena's and Foresight's agenda or his own?

This issue really seemed to highlight Gomez and made me start to become invested in him along with Kayla and Jonah in spite of the fact that he is clearly not a good guy. I really enjoy it when a writer can do that. When I first started reading Noble I thought I knew who the enemy was in this universe and that it was a pretty cut and dry issue but this issue of Superb has put an interesting wrinkle in that with the possibility of another faction's involvement in whatever the coming battle is. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all plays out and how long Kayla and Jonah can keep themselves hidden from Foresight.
    Overall, Foresight is the looming big bad in this book's picture, but this division seems to be overseen and driven by the ambitions of Gomez. I wouldn't be surprised if Lorena might pop in to see how things are going and ask questions, especially if stuff's hitting the fan in the wrong way for Gomez and his operation, but in the meantime, Gomez seems to have free reign in this town.

But yes, Gomez does seem to be his own person in this issue, a part of but still autonomous in his running of Foresight in the town.

And I really do wonder how Kayla and Jonah are getting out of this mess. Specifically the immediate one they're in at the end of issue 2.

Noble:

"I saved him, Astrid. And I'm saving us all from him."

Lorena is one manipulative little b*tch isn't she? First she tricked David and his crew into attempting to stop the comet for her own designs. Then world into thinking she was saving them from the comet's after effects and now she's pulled David and he wife back into her web of lies. She's an evil woman. And we have yet another person who seems to have his own agenda in DeMarcus. The plot is thickening nicely here and I can't wait to see it resolve. I'm loving the intrigue here and I also hope to see David and his family reunited somehow.
    Lorena is something...

When we first see her, she's a young woman who rides to a grammar/middle school (that she built) on the school bus encouraging, the kids who go there. And she does this every day, apparently. Then we see she's this awesome visionary and businesswoman who changed the world as we know it (that may have come first). Then we see she a tough but fair boss lady to the people who work under her.

Seems normal. For the most part.

Then comes the end, and we see she... I don't know how to describe it. I guess I'll stick to ruthless. Like, she killed that man with no hesitation, and it was super creepy after what we learned of her beforehand.

Seeing her manipulate the Powell family (except the son, so far) as she has has been low-down to the max. I really wonder what her agenda really is?

That DeMarcus guy seems straight-up evil in comparison, though. Not to say Lorena is some kind of saint, but DeMarcus comes off as card-carrying in his overconfidence and flippancy.

Incidentals

"We are still new at this I suppose...it takes awhile to get it right."

Its only the first issue and I'm already enjoying this book, which is a surprise because this normally wouldn't be my sort of book either. The issue really did a lot though to draw me in and any book that can do that with the first issue will get my support. Its pretty dark in tone but there is also a thread of hope there as well. We have a new team just starting out and trying to figure out how to work together as a unit while also struggling with their pasts. And boy do those pasts have a lot of baggage to deal with. Like you said they were not kidding about that one. The character here that really struck me though was the unnamed girl Nuke and V were attempting to recruit to their cause. I felt particularly drawn to her and can't wait to learn more about her and what her past is.
    Yeah, I'm still surprised at how much this book hooked me. Normally, that wouldn't have been the case. Maybe it's a delicate balance of how they made the cast they focused on this issue sympathetic enough, despite everything that happened (specifically Alex).

I agree; they were totes not lying about the teammates' baggage thing. Can't claim false advertising there.

Also, I'm pretty sure the unnamed girl is supposed to be Alex's ex-girlfriend, Shannon. I could be off, but that's what I'm think it is at his time. I am curious how her and Alex's relationship was from her perspective, such that she broke up with him after they got their powers. Perhaps Alex's bad childhood was beginning to manifest itself in their relationship. Either way, that's some heavy stuff.

Nice to here your thoughts on these books! Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-09-2017 at 02:38 AM.

Interesting that this has edged out as your favorite so far. What really sold me was that aforementioned lighthearted tone, and also how the second and third issues' trippy dimension-breaking kind of had both a sense of foreboding but also a pull of wonderment and a desire to explore and be adventurous/sate curiosity. That's evedent in even Danny's narration, and that was pretty cool of the book to do.

For me, I think Accell is right behind Superb at the moment. There's something about Superb that I really like.
    Honestly Accell only narrowly edged out Incidentals, of all things, as my favorite book here. There's just something about Accell that I really like overall and I really like Danny.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-09-2017 at 11:16 AM.

Astonishing Member

Honestly Accell only narrowly edged out Incidentals, of all things, as my favorite book here. There's just something about Accell that I really like overall and I really like Danny.
    I can definitely see why Accell would be a favorite. That book really does push all the right buttons, and Danny is pretty endearing in how he goes about doing and thinking about things. I imagine that him having the most clear-cut and awesomest of the current Catalyst Prime Superhero designs as Accell probably helps, too.

I'm really super impressed that Incidentals managed to break its way to your top 2 with just its first issue. It must have really done its job as a first issue for you, more than even your post had let on. The issues does paint a lot of potential, though.

I can definitely see why Accell would be a favorite. That book really does push all the right buttons, and Danny is pretty endearing in how he goes about doing and thinking about things. I imagine that him having the most clear-cut and awesomest of the current Catalyst Prime Superhero designs as Accell probably helps, too.
    He does have the best superhero designs so far so that does help. It's a really great design. Overall though I just feel everything about the book just clicks.

I'm really super impressed that Incidentals managed to break its way to your top 2 with just its first issue. It must have really done its job as a first issue for you, more than even your post had let on. The issues does paint a lot of potential, though.
    It did and I'm not easily impressed believe me. The last time a number one issue impressed me that much the book in question managed to catapult itself straight to the number one slot for that company as well as the number one slot over all and it did so over books I'd been reading for much longer. It also stayed there for a good chunk of time. At the moment Incidental ranks in my overall list as a solid number four though my ranking list changes from time to time. For some reason, that I'm still trying to figure out, it just hit all the right buttons with me. It's equally impressive that it did so given that its not normally the kind of comic that generally even appeals to me.

Astonishing Member

It did and I'm not easily impressed believe me. The last time a number one issue impressed me that much the book in question managed to catapult itself straight to the number one slot for that company as well as the number one slot over all and it did so over books I'd been reading for much longer. It also stayed there for a good chunk of time. At the moment Incidental ranks in my overall list as a solid number four though my ranking list changes from time to time. For some reason, that I'm still trying to figure out, it just hit all the right buttons with me. It's equally impressive that it did so given that its not normally the kind of comic that generally even appeals to me.
    Are you referring to the Rebirth Volume of Red Hood and the Outlaws?

And yeah, Incidentals isn't a book I'd normally find myself reading or wanting to continue reading, but here it is with me looking forward to issue #2.

Amazing Member

So far Lion Forge is 4-4 with their Catalyst Prime universe. Really looking forward to Astonisher, Kino & Summit.

Are you referring to the Rebirth Volume of Red Hood and the Outlaws?

And yeah, Incidentals isn't a book I'd normally find myself reading or wanting to continue reading, but here it is with me looking forward to issue #2.
    No, actually I was thinking of Robinson's Earth 2, which was another book that going into the first issue I wasn't sure I was going to like. It managed to grab me with the first issue though in such a way that it became my new number one out of all the comics I was reading at that point in a single issue. It remained my top book even after he left it for a bit longer but then the quality just tanked and it descended the list rapidly at that point. I never dropped it but I was moments away from doing so when Abnett came along and made it an okay read again.

Quote Originally Posted by goledensilence View Post
    So far Lion Forge is 4-4 with their Catalyst Prime universe. Really looking forward to Astonisher, Kino & Summit.
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to those as well. Lion Forge is really doing well IMO.

Astonishing Member

No, actually I was thinking of Robinson's Earth 2, which was another book that going into the first issue I wasn't sure I was going to like. It managed to grab me with the first issue though in such a way that it became my new number one out of all the comics I was reading at that point in a single issue. It remained my top book even after he left it for a bit longer but then the quality just tanked and it descended the list rapidly at that point. I never dropped it but I was moments away from doing so when Abnett came along and made it an okay read again.
    Ah, Earth 2. I kinda dipped in and out that book.

I liked it on the whole, though. Even in spots where others weren't feeling it, I tended to enjoy the suspense of it all, and I liked the variations of some of the characters, including their costumes. I just wish some got used more often.

I was also a total sucker for Dick and his son interacting whenever they did way late in the run.

Ah, Earth 2. I kinda dipped in and out that book.

I liked it on the whole, though. Even in spots where others weren't feeling it, I tended to enjoy the suspense of it all, and I liked the variations of some of the characters, including their costumes. I just wish some got used more often.

I was also a total sucker for Dick and his son interacting whenever they did way late in the run.
    I thought Abnett did a fair job of using all the characters once he came on the book and I still wish that they had let him keep going with it. And yeah I loved those Dick and John interactions as well and I would really like to see them again along with Helena Wayne. Seeing Helena as Batman with John as her Robin really made me wish for a mini just with them actually.

Astonishing Member

I thought Abnett did a fair job of using all the characters once he came on the book and I still wish that they had let him keep going with it. And yeah I loved those Dick and John interactions as well and I would really like to see them again along with Helena Wayne. Seeing Helena as Batman with John as her Robin really made me wish for a mini just with them actually.
    Completely agree on that.