Thread: Help for Herald

Keteraxigojun

Default Help for Herald

Herald a.k.a. Vox or simply Mal Duncan is the equivalent of Marvel's Black Panther in that both were the first black heroes of the big two comic companies. Black Lightning was created in 1977 whereas Herald in 1970 as a street fighter boxer. He was the first black Teen Titan and later inspired Marvel to create Luke Cage in 1972.

Herald is a very underrated founding Teen Titan, just like his wife Bumblebee. Unfortunately, Mal is not the celebrated first African-American superhero of DC and this must change with creativity and good planning. Writers can utilize him by inventing interesting, exclusive stories that put him at the forefront. He has potential, rich history, is an award winning film composer which means he can interact with other famous DC heroes like Animal Man and Black Canary. Also recently it was revealed he is metahuman, therefore his origins have to be revisited. Herald has a connection to Limbo and that alone gives him more opportunities of having his own limited series with a big supporting cast, the Titans.

It is very hopeful for the comics the fact that DC has recently helped to create countless new heroes of color, however diversity history needs to be preserved and promoted by all means. This applies to every comic character regardless of gender, race, age and orientation. If there is no demand for something you should create it, so if Herald isn't popular there is always a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Keteraxigojun View Post
    Herald a.k.a. Vox or simply Mal Duncan . . .
    You're also forgetting he's been "The Guardian" and "Hornblower" back in the 1970s.

Extraordinary Member

I like the Guardian persona best. I keep hoping Mal will make a more permanent comeback, eventually.

I as well love MAL DUNCAN aka the GUARDIAN.although was hoping they would keep the HERALD code name with the sonic based powers.but ill settle for him being the GUARDIAN.and hope that if he doesn't join the TITANS.my dream would be for him to lead lead his own TITANS based team.recently we've seen him with GNARKK.so that's one choice.other I would have would be the GOLDEN EAGLE.RED STAR.TRACI 13.MAGENTA.FLAMEBIRD now with actual fire based powers.and I remember reading that MAL had a sister named CINDY.she can be the new HERALD with sonic based powers.together these heroes will form TITANS L.A.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keteraxigojun View Post
    Herald is a very underrated founding Teen Titan, just like his wife Bumblebee.
    He is not really a founding member.

And I think he is really hard to help him. His powers aren't really defined, he doesn't really have an iconic identity or costume. During his first run with the Titans he was for the most part just Mal Duncan, I'm not sure in how many issues he used Guardian (maybe 3 ?) and I think Hornblower really only appeared in the panel that was posted here.

That his origin is tied to the Loren Jupiter Era is probably also not an advantage.

I guess Mal was one of the earliest examples of DC taking an existing hero identity and reinventing it for a non-white person, I wonder if some people were so upset then. lol

I like Mal, I think he suffered from a few things, the non-identity, then multiple identities (glad they ditched Hornblower. for the obvious joke..), as well as having sonic powers (same as Tyroc, what is that?) which isn't a power set that I think translates very well into soundless comics. He also barely cameoed in the more popular Wolfman / Perez revival, which could have been his chance to break out. I enjoyed the Secret Origins annual that he starred in. But even when Hawk & Dove revived Titans West for an annual, Mal sat out while Karen joined the group's adventure.

I love the fact that DC once upon a time took fan submissions for costumes! I thought they only did that with the Legion.

Personally I preferred Bumblebee always, but I liked Mal too.