View Poll Results: Who was the 1rst DC Comics version of "The Flash" you ever read in a comic book?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Garrick (Golden Age Flash) - 1st appeared in Flash Comics #1 (1940).

10 4.39%
  • Barry Allen (Silver Age Flash) - 1st appeared Showcase #4 (1956) / died in CoIE

104 45.61%
  • Wally West (post-CoIE Flash) - became The Flash at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths

107 46.93%
  • Bart Allen (post-Infinte Crisis Flash) - Became The Flash after Wally vanished / Bart suddenly aged

0 0%
  • TV/the CW version of The Flash (Barry) - from The Flash: Season Zero (based on TV continuity)

2 0.88%
  • other (please specify in a separate post)

5 2.19%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

My earliest Flash memories are of Barry, exposed to him in Challenge of the Superfriends and read some book to learn about Barry & the other heroes
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Picked this up in the mall at a temporary stand, after being a fan of the JL cartoon and renting Alex Ross's "Mythology" from the local library. I was 13. I loved the smell of the paper.

After that it was lots of Wally in trades.
    , love that cover!

Incredible Member

Barry Allen was the first for Flash I read about.

Astonishing Member

Technically Barry Allen, as I read Crisis on Infinite Earths pretty early.

But when I actually read monthly comics Wally.

The New 52 Manapul run, so Barry.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    VERY historically significant issue of THE FLASH, whose consequences reverberate even now, almost forty years later. You picked quite a time to get aboard.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I just remember seeing it as a kid in advertisements for other comics along with things like those plastic green soldiers they sold in ads at the back of the comic, so of course I had to start reading it. I was in grade school at the time. I think a lot of writers were also influenced by that time because it's right around the time that the JLA switched bodies with some supervillains, and that storyline was later re-visited in Identity Crisis.

A lot of interesting things were happening at that time like the "World of Krypton" mini-series. Marvel was hopping as well with Thor, the Eternals, and the Celestials. DC Comics Presents had a great run around that time as did The Brave and the Bold. I even got away with reading The Warlord and Conan (scantily clad women). Things were never more magical for me as a comic book reader, but then it was all so new. It got even better when I discovered a used comic book store and got to read back issues. THAT'S when I really got interested in reading and learning new words.

Wally is the first I read in Morrison's JLA but Barry is the first I saw on TV with the Superfriends.

The first Flash I saw on TV was Wally in the Justice League pilot and the first comic was Wally during the Geoff Johns and Scott Kolins run. I think it was the issue he fought the Top with a broken hand.

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

The first Flash comic I read was with Wally.

The issue opens with Wally and Dick fighting Grodd for a few pages. It was actually a pretty good and intense fight.

Incredible Member

Got the first two issues of the early-90s Justice Society miniseries, focusing on Jay Garrick & Alan Scott. First time I'd ever read a Flash or GL book.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Fan#1 View Post
    The first Flash comic I read was with Wally.

The issue opens with Wally and Dick fighting Grodd for a few pages. It was actually a pretty good and intense fight.
    Dude, this was my first issue reading Wally! I was about to move and went to a local comic book store with my friends on my last day in town. I got this very issue. I have vivid memories of that day and the issue itself. It was a great opening scene. I instantly thought, woah, this stuff is way better than the cartoon.

Spectacular Member

Geoff johns Wally West run, which is what got me hooked on the flash, which then had me reading all messner-loebs and waid stories that came before it,,,up until that point I'd only really read Barry in COIE and it wasn't until I read Waid's 'Return of Barry Allen' arc that my curiosity was piqued and that got me reading Carey Bates run on Barry.

Fantastic Member ZoomZolomonZoom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinr View Post
    Geoff johns Wally West run, which is what got me hooked on the flash, which then had me reading all messner-loebs and waid stories that came before it,,,up until that point I'd only really read Barry in COIE and it wasn't until I read Waid's 'Return of Barry Allen' arc that my curiosity was piqued and that got me reading Carey Bates run on Barry.
    That's such a great way to get into both heroes! Carey Bates run in my opinion is really underrated and helped establish a lot of the Barry Allen tropes we take for granted today.
    My name is Hunter Zolomon. Despite what the public believes, I am the fastest man alive

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZolomonZoom View Post
    That's such a great way to get into both heroes! Carey Bates run in my opinion is really underrated and helped establish a lot of the Barry Allen tropes we take for granted today.
    Yeah it's soo good right?, it's so underrated I mean Gardner Fox has to get some big credit too, but imo the majority of what makes Barry who he is today came from Bates.
    I think some of them stories still stand strong today, I love Barry but I'll always have that extra soft spot for Wally lol, through him getting me hooked on the flash and the JL cartoon growing up haha.

Barry Allen, The Flash: Rebirth.
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.