View Poll Results: Who was the 1rst DC Comics version of "The Flash" you ever read in a comic book?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Garrick (Golden Age Flash) - 1st appeared in Flash Comics #1 (1940).

10 4.39%
  • Barry Allen (Silver Age Flash) - 1st appeared Showcase #4 (1956) / died in CoIE

104 45.61%
  • Wally West (post-CoIE Flash) - became The Flash at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths

107 46.93%
  • Bart Allen (post-Infinte Crisis Flash) - Became The Flash after Wally vanished / Bart suddenly aged

0 0%
  • TV/the CW version of The Flash (Barry) - from The Flash: Season Zero (based on TV continuity)

2 0.88%
  • other (please specify in a separate post)

5 2.19%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I picked Barry because I'm 90% sure I saw stories with him first, but my first definitive Flash memory is Jay in a DC Origins book that had the origins of both Jay and Barry and Jay's origin was first,

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Kord View Post
    These polls are great but they should be for "Who has the best costume." You should do that next
    What, so am I only the only one who can create polls or something?

You can have the fun dealing with the costumes (and all the variations each character has had over the years).

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Picked this up in the mall at a temporary stand, after being a fan of the JL cartoon and renting Alex Ross's "Mythology" from the local library. I was 13. I loved the smell of the paper.

After that it was lots of Wally in trades.

Wally West

I got into DC comics buying the 2010 edition of the 'Green Lantern:Rebirth Trade but I decided to take a step back and bought 'The Secret of Barry Allen'-trade from Geoff Johns. Wally West was the first Flash I ever read.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ales View Post
    I got into DC comics buying the 2010 edition of the 'Green Lantern:Rebirth Trade but I decided to take a step back and bought 'The Secret of Barry Allen'-trade from Geoff Johns. Wally West was the first Flash I ever read.
    One of my favorites. I'm guessing you liked it as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    One of my favorites. I'm guessing you liked it as well?
    Yeah, the art is stunning aswell!

Ultimate Member

Barry Allen, back in the day, was 'my Flash.' (Although I was also reading JSA/All-Star Squadron stuff within the first few years of discovering comic books, so it didn't take long to discover Jay Garrick or other speedsters like Johnny Quick.)

But then Crisis on Infinite Earth's came along and he died, and Wally West, who, IMO, was one of the weaker points in the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans relaunch (they really didn't seem to have any idea what to do with him, he's pretty much the only Titan to not have a memorable arc in their run) stepped up and I had 25 or so years to get on board the Wally-as-Flash train, so he became 'the Flash' to me.

For me, one of DC's greatest strengths over Marvel is their ability to play on legacy characters like Dick Grayson, Roy Harper and Wally West (and later Tim Drake, Conner Kent and Bart Allen). It's also a source of some frustration for me when new ascended fanboy writers come up and try to recapture their youth by focusing stories on characters from their childhoods and eliminating or sidelining legacy characters to do so.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Wally in Justice League Adventures

Fantastic Member

Barry Allen in Flash Rebirth the Geoff Johns story in the pre 52. Or it might have been the brief run when Bart was the Flash but it was one of those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Wally in Justice League Adventures
    Did that show ever specify who was "The Flash", or are people just assuming it was Wally from the way he acted, etc. ?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Did that show ever specify who was "The Flash", or are people just assuming it was Wally from the way he acted, etc. ?
    Yeah, they revealed it was Wally on the show in the second season finale.

Cnrbailey

Barry Allen Showcase edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    My first Flash comic

Wouldn't that qualify as
    * Barry Allen (Silver/Bronze Age Flash) - 1st appeared in Showcase #4 (1956) / died in Crisis on Infinite Earths (1985) but later got better

I wanna say it was one of the issues of Terminal Velocity so I was exposed to Wally and Jay at the same time. I read a lot of Kid Flash in the NTT so I was already more familiar with Wally before actually reading him as the Flash.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics