View Poll Results: Who was the 1rst DC Comics version of "The Flash" you ever read in a comic book?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jay Garrick (Golden Age Flash) - 1st appeared in Flash Comics #1 (1940).

10 4.39%
  • Barry Allen (Silver Age Flash) - 1st appeared Showcase #4 (1956) / died in CoIE

104 45.61%
  • Wally West (post-CoIE Flash) - became The Flash at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths

107 46.93%
  • Bart Allen (post-Infinte Crisis Flash) - Became The Flash after Wally vanished / Bart suddenly aged

0 0%
  • TV/the CW version of The Flash (Barry) - from The Flash: Season Zero (based on TV continuity)

2 0.88%
  • other (please specify in a separate post)

5 2.19%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Wally West. Back at the start of Johns run

Barry Allen. I was aware of Jay Garrick since I started reading in the late 60's.

Barry Allen, going up against the Eradicator (with a cool 'The Villain Is Secretly Someone Close To The Hero!' trope), drawn by Carmine Infantino. I'd love to see some artist skillfully mimic Infantino's style for an issue or two of the current book, just for the nostalgia (and so that younger and newer fans can see how cool some of this stuff looked way back when).
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

In the two +/-weeks since last check:
    * Barry Allen (Silver Age Flash) = 59 votes (+ 5)
    * Wally West (post-CoIE Flash) = 54 votes (+ 11)
    * Jay Garrick (Golden Age Flash) = 4 votes (same)
    * other = 3 votes (same)
    * TV/the CW version of The Flash (Barry) = 1 vote (same)

Further update on current results:
    * Barry Allen (Silver Age Flash) = 61 votes (+ 2)
    * Wally West (post-CoIE Flash) = 55 votes (+ 1)
    * Jay Garrick (Golden Age Flash) = 4 votes (still same)
    * other = 3 votes (still same)
    * TV/the CW version of The Flash (Barry) = 1 vote (still same)

Back in February, we had:
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Further update on current results:
    * Barry Allen (Silver Age Flash) = 61 votes (+ 2)
    * Wally West (post-CoIE Flash) = 55 votes (+ 1)
    * Jay Garrick (Golden Age Flash) = 4 votes (still same)
    * other = 3 votes (still same)
    * TV/the CW version of The Flash (Barry) = 1 vote (still same)
    Only difference at last check was that the votes for "other" are up to 4 now.

I do have some questions on those "other" votes, since two of those voters said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    My first Flash comic

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    New 52 Barry Allen, but Wally is still my flash.
    and, in my mind, those should have been two votes for "Barry Allen (Silver Age Flash)".

We also had:
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I wanna say it was one of the issues of Terminal Velocity so I was exposed to Wally and Jay at the same time. I read a lot of Kid Flash in the NTT so I was already more familiar with Wally before actually reading him as the Flash.
    and I'm not sure if Swamp Thing 2099 ever explained that other "other" vote.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The surprisingly late point when I first read THE FLASH:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Barry - New 52 (specifically Justice League #1)

Wally. But Bart's time as the Flash was the only time I've picked up the actual Flash series. His run was short, but he's my Flash.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    In some ways, you need to give that to me pls.

Seriously though these issues are so hard to track down. I can only find them digitally online.
    I THINK I might still have a second copy.
    Leave it with me mate & I'll let you know.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

First ever time meeting a Flash had to be a Super Friends cartoon.
    First time reading a Flash comic book was a library hardbound featuring the biggest comic book silver-age DC/Marvel hero origin stories. I went in looking for Superman's and ending up loving Green Lantern's (Alan) and Jay Garrick. Tried to find more stories with Jay in the library and Waldenbooks (at the time my only sources) but came up empty. It wasn't until reruns of Justice League Unlimited on TV that I met and fell for Wally.... which led to researching and getting on recommendation from a fellow fanfic writer Terminal Velocity. Animated Wally paled compared to Waid's Wally West. I got all the trades and then started on Baron, then Messner-Loeb (still my favorite with Waid). Wally is heads over my favorite speedster, but I love him best when he is interacting with competent other speedsters -- especially Jay and Impulse Bart Allen or getting a visit from 'deceased' Barry. I can't tell you how disappointed I was in Flash: Rebirth by Johns for the horrible Speedster Family aspect in it. Don't even want to think about the prelude years and reality of DC52.
    Impatiently waiting on Flash War trade and even more impatient for Wally to get a permanent book where he isn't just in the background.

And where the heck is Jay?! Button seems ages ago!
    Last edited by Kyer; 08-09-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    And where the heck is Jay?! Button seems ages ago!
    Flash #22 went on sale May 17th, 2017, so about a year-and-a-quarter ago.

And, yeah, it seems like it's been an eternity . . .

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Flash #22 went on sale May 17th, 2017, so about a year-and-a-quarter ago.

And, yeah, it seems like it's been an eternity . . .
    See. -sigh- There are times I wish Disney would buy out DC. That's saying something because I've tended to give Disney (the corporation) the stinkeye ever since Walt died. But at least they tend to move things along unlike DC which moves like molasses during a blizzard. If Jay wasn't a fictional character he would be dead of old age before DC did anything with him. *mutters that -we- will be dead of old age at this rate
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Barry- as a JLA member during the satellite years - was my first Flash. But he also didn't interest me enough to buy his solo title.

First solo book I picked up was after Wally took over. Have stuck out every run since.

I do like Barry better now, in his modern incarnation.

Incredible Member

I was aware of who were Jay, Barry, Wally, and Bart even before I started to read comics.

The first comic I actually read was Crisis on Infinite Earths, so the answer could be Barry, however, I was also reading at the same time Final Crisis, so it could be Wally and Jay.

The first Flash series that I read was the one after Infinite Crisis, with Bart as the Flash.

BUT, the first Flash that I met, when I was only a 5 years-old kid and didn't know anything about comics, was Wally, thanks to Justice League Animated Series. I also really liked him in the few episodes from Teen Titans were he appeared, and in Young Justice, and in the last few months, I read his complete series as The Flash, from 1 - 247 + 0 & 1,000,000 and some one-shots, plus Morrison's JLA. He is my favorite speedster.