Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

That's what they clearly lacked, and now they have it. I guess it's both a gift and a curse for Marvel fans. Without Disney money, how successful would the MCU be right now? But unfortunately, Disney is able to get its dark tentacles wrapped around the Marvel characters and pump out garbage for profit with zero shites given about quality. I don't expect Marvel to have a push with its female characters any time soon. They're way too far behind in the game at this point anyway, especially without the X-women like Rogue, Storm, Jean Grey, Psylock, Kitty Pryde and Mystique (too name just a few) at their disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I'd also like to point out that we could probably forget about seeing anything like DC Superhero Girls from Disney/Marvel. Disney has Disney Princesses and that's probably gonna be all they're interested in offering young girls. I wish it could be different but the fact of the matter seems to be that Disney does not give a damn about marketing superheroes to girls.
    That may not be true. Disney is producing a girl-centric project called Star Wars: Forces of Destiny, a piece of one of their "boys franchises" that's specifically targeted to girls (although the TV parts of this sub-franchise can be enjoyed by male fans as well), in kind of a DC Superhero Girls-style marketing. So, if they're doing it for one, they could possibly do it for another in the future.

BANNED

I had'nt considered the costume argument but it makes sense. DC girls do wear traditional flamboyant superhero costumes mostly then you have Black Widow in a generic body suit.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That may not be true. Disney is producing a girl-centric project called Star Wars: Forces of Destiny, a piece of one of their "boys franchises" that's specifically targeted to girls (although the TV parts of this sub-franchise can be enjoyed by male fans as well), in kind of a DC Superhero Girls-style marketing. So, if they're doing it for one, they could possibly do it for another in the future.
    I think the Star Wars series is a direct response to the success of DC Super Hero Girls. But the new Star Wars have always been more open to featuring women protagonists than Marvel since Kathleen Kennedy was put in charge of the films.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I had'nt considered the costume argument but it makes sense. DC girls do wear traditional flamboyant superhero costumes mostly then you have Black Widow in a generic body suit.
    Well, by catsuit standards it's pretty flamboyant, even compared to Catwoman's .

Retired

The Marvel Studios movies are in a sticky situation of their own creation, because a lot of the really good female characters come from Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. Although, Sony and Fox haven't made very good use of those characters, either.

It really does seem dumb that, even when they have a chance to make a toy with a female character, like Black Widow, they pass up that opportunity. So maybe it is the compartmental thinking at Disney--where female-centred toys are over here in this other part of the empire and male-centred toys are over in the Marvel part of the empire.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuznec View Post
    Maybe because girls reading comics are much smaller than guys, and commercially it is not profitable)
    Dosen't mean we are always going to prefer female superhero characters anyway.
    Last edited by Gold49; 07-29-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, by catsuit standards it's pretty flamboyant, even compared to Catwoman's .
    Catwoman's suit is a lot more flamboyant than black widow lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Catwoman's suit is a lot more flamboyant than black widow lol.
    Problem with Catwoman is she has been stuck in the same boring black suit for the past 15 years. During the 1990s Catwoman had a more colorful costume,
    but nothing matches what she wore in the 1940s and 1950s and again in the 1980s. Even the 1970s costume, as ugly as it was, had more pizzazz.
    If they can go retro with Supergirl, put her back in a skirt and keep the cape, and keep her costume colorful, why not Catwoman?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Problem with Catwoman is she has been stuck in the same boring black suit for the past 15 years. During the 1990s Catwoman had a more colorful costume,
    but nothing matches what she wore in the 1940s and 1950s and again in the 1980s. Even the 1970s costume, as ugly as it was, had more pizzazz.
    If they can go retro with Supergirl, put her back in a skirt and keep the cape, and keep her costume colorful, why not Catwoman?
    Supergirl has almost always had a skirt and there was no way in hell the show was going with the New 53 version. Selina is a thief so a colourful costume is the last thing she needs

The Julie Newmar black suit is iconic and even lauded by fashion mavens like Anna Wintour. That's the reason they keep going back to that well for her costume.

This kind of sums it up for me from an animation perspective:

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Supergirl has almost always had a skirt and there was no way in hell the show was going with the New 53 version. Selina is a thief so a colourful costume is the last thing she needs
    I don't think it should be, like, garishly colorful but it might help to give it something to break the colors up like the grey with the yellow belt in B:TAS or the red in The Batman suit.

BANNED

The problem with Catwoman's current suit, aside from it being 15 years old now and kind of stale, is all the artists making it look way too ugly and utilitarian. What should be an attractive and stylish catsuit comes off looking like a janitors uniform with stupid goggles. I have no idea why they portray her like that or why they haven't learned their lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    The problem with Catwoman's current suit, aside from it being 15 years old now and kind of stale, is all the artists making it look way too ugly and utilitarian. What should be an attractive and stylish catsuit comes off looking like a janitors uniform with stupid goggles. I have no idea why they portray her like that or why they haven't learned their lesson.
    I think it's a real "depends on the artist" situation .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's a real "depends on the artist" situation .
    When 90% of Catwoman artists draw her under the art direction of "make her as big an eyesore as you can" then it's time for a new plan.