Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's wrong with Selina's personality? I thought that was always a big part of her appeal.
    I meant her personality during the New 52 where she was more dour and less free spirited. That's been changing lately though

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is there a reason you keep bringing up an entirely different conversation here? What do my comments in that other discussion have to do with this one?

I checked. Haven't been able to find those complaints

you do realise it is entirely possible for them to change Selina's costume or the way it is drawn and still write her terrible, right? Her problems won't just go away if the writing still sucks
    Because it's hard to take someone seriously when they keep contradicting themselves. You are familiar with the concept of hypocrisy, right?

Extraordinary Member

I think the problem with Catwoman is that she was just a complete mess in the New 52.

Nocenti's run just didn't made any sense and while Valentine's run was well written, but ignored everything that was established before and I don't think that she really understood the character.

Quote Originally Posted by vietteoh97 View Post
    Dc has difficulty selling characters that are not Batman or Superman. They are their poster boys. They have not taken that many jumps yet. True they have TV series did take risk like Brave and the Bold but it took batman to do it. The dc nation was their opportunity but one thing left to another and well… I am not saying marvel is perfect but when looking for characters that gain attention. Let me put a video of itsjustsomerandomguy to put some lighting

Marvel likes to keep an Actor/Actress for that Superhero, they trained them > became iconic figure
    DC likes to pick a guy thinks he's Ok for that superhero
    Some of the live action versions of DC women.

international_women_s_day___dc_comics___ver_2__by_camo_flauge-d9ud0k2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Because it's hard to take someone seriously when they keep contradicting themselves. You are familiar with the concept of hypocrisy, right?
    How am I being a hypocrite? What have I said that is contradictory?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post

Every thing you showed was outside of DC Comics where a lot of the folks who have screwed over so many character can't touch them. For now.

I think he or she is talking about comics. Because outside of comics a LOT of those guys get better treatment and development than they do in comics.

Funny how Young Justice can make Aqualad, Conner, Bart, Static, Artemis, Rocket, Babs, Jaime, Meggan, Tim and others WORK as a series.

Funny John Stewart can be written as a fully functioning human being in Justice League cartoon without HAL around.

Yet it's an ISSUE when you try to do anything with those guys in comics.

Why is there a disconnect in comics?

Once you get past WW, SG, Babs, Harley, Black Carney & Catwoman-the rest of your females are in traction because of the folks in charge.

I wouldn't use the qualifiers, "within comics their popularity is equal", or "outside of comics is only where DC heroines beat Marvel". Comics are changing, sales are dropping in the traditional comic market so DC and Marvel have to expand to survive. DC is doing a much better job in that regard when looking at Superheroines. The toy/merchandise line of DC Superhero Girls is one the the best selling in the youth/teen market today it includes; comics, novels, figure/dolls, lego sets, cartoons and a soon to be released movie. Marvel has nothing similar, and has largely ignored trying to promote its superheroines in anyway. Just look at how difficult it is to find a Black Widow or a Scarlet Witch figure(both featured in multiple blockbusters), and if you do manage to find them they are geared more towards the traditional action figure market of boys.

As for DC only being able to sell Superman and Batman, the Wonder Woman movie has out performed the both of the latest "Superman" movies, and the DC Superhero Girls' sales disapprove that further.

Ultimate Member

DC puts out films, TV shows, toys, backpacks, lunchboxes, you name it as far a merchandising goes. DC Superhero Girls is a billion dollar marketing bonanza for them as well. And they managed to make the first genuinely good female-led superhero movie, well like ever.

Meanwhile, Marvel has very little of that. No marketing tailored more towards girls, heck despite being one of the most high-profile MCU characters (and pretty popular as well), it's hard to even find Black Widow merchandise right now. And while they're STARTING to try and fix that maybe (bringing in a black Valkyrie for the next Thor movie, AOS actually has a fairly diverse cast, including multiple women with their own distinct personalities and abilities/talents, Agent Carter is something of a breakout character, Jessica Jones, etc), they are still very much playing catch-up right now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    DC puts out films, TV shows, toys, backpacks, lunchboxes, you name it as far a merchandising goes. DC Superhero Girls is a billion dollar marketing bonanza for them as well. And they managed to make the first genuinely good female-led superhero movie, well like ever.

Meanwhile, Marvel has very little of that. No marketing tailored more towards girls, heck despite being one of the most high-profile MCU characters (and pretty popular as well), it's hard to even find Black Widow merchandise right now. And while they're STARTING to try and fix that maybe (bringing in a black Valkyrie for the next Thor movie, AOS actually has a fairly diverse cast, including multiple women with their own distinct personalities and abilities/talents, Agent Carter is something of a breakout character, Jessica Jones, etc), they are still very much playing catch-up right now.
    The Black Panther movie is also putting females at the forefront with the significant emphasis given to both Shuri and Nakia. While the latter may end up becoming a villain in future installments, as she does in the comics, Marvel will have two more prominent females in its universe by the end of that film. So there's an argument to be made that Marvel is definitely beginning to realize the benefits of good female representation in its franchise.

Ultimate Member

Well yeah, agreed. Probably because the guy that most people blame for standing in the way of that first and foremost, is no longer involved in the movie division.

Also Ant Man & The Wasp is doing a female, POC version of the villain Ghost as well.

Like I said, they seem to be trying to fix it, but it is playing catchup all the same. Also there needs to be more. How about a Captain Marvel cartoon? Or a "Marvel Superhero Girls" thing? Or heck not even that far. How about in their next Marvel show, they have a majority female team (say 5 females and two males, as opposed to the other way around like it usually is). And MUCH MORE merchandising is needed to.

Ultimate Member

How about in their next Marvel show, they have a majority female team (say 5 females and two males, as opposed to the other way around like it usually is).
    Yeah, the standard team mix of 'three to five dudes and a single woman,' being upgraded to 'five dudes and *two* women!' is kind of pathetic. More teams like the Runaways or New Mutants (for Marvel) with more women than men, would be neat. That said, DC could use some of that action as well. The Justice League has often been a 'big seven' of six dudes and Wonder Woman, excepting for a few times when Black Canary or Hawkwoman took Martian Manhunter's seventh slot (currently occupied by Cyborg). When DC does do female-heavier teams, they tend to be more like Birds of Prey and *all* women, which suggests that the only way the ladies can have even parity on a team is to exclude men entirely!

I would love to see some early tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes, dealing with their first five members, which included Triplicate Girl, Phantom Girl, Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad and Cosmic Boy. We didn't really get to see that five-person team in action much, before many more men, like Invisible Kid, Colosssal Boy and Brianiac 5, arrived to throw it back to male-dominated.

A girls-heavier Titans / Young Justice lineup could be fun, as well. Surround some lucky dude (I'm seeing Roy Harper here), or pair of dudes (perhaps Aqualad as well, or Golden Eagle, to pick someone nobody's going to use anyway?) with Wonder Girl (Donna), Lilith, Bumblebee, and a few odder choices like Kole, Rocket, Traci 13 or Duela Dent, and you could have a fun team.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, the standard team mix of 'three to five dudes and a single woman,' being upgraded to 'five dudes and *two* women!' is kind of pathetic. More teams like the Runaways or New Mutants (for Marvel) with more women than men, would be neat. That said, DC could use some of that action as well. The Justice League has often been a 'big seven' of six dudes and Wonder Woman, excepting for a few times when Black Canary or Hawkwoman took Martian Manhunter's seventh slot (currently occupied by Cyborg). When DC does do female-heavier teams, they tend to be more like Birds of Prey and *all* women, which suggests that the only way the ladies can have even parity on a team is to exclude men entirely.
    Team like Titans, Young Justice, Outsiders and even Suicide Squad (and I think even the JLA in the end) had often a good mix of male and female charcaters.

The thing with the Justice League is usually the team staring DCs biggest and most iconic characters, who happen to be all male except Wonder Woman.
    Btw. the classic pre crisis Justice League had upto 4 female members (Wonder Woman, Canary, Hawkgirl and Zatanna), but they had much more than 7 members.

Like I said, they seem to be trying to fix it, but it is playing catchup all the same. Also there needs to be more. How about a Captain Marvel cartoon? Or a "Marvel Superhero Girls" thing? Or heck not even that far. How about in their next Marvel show, they have a majority female team (say 5 females and two males, as opposed to the other way around like it usually is). And MUCH MORE merchandising is needed to.
    Does anyone really want that? She's so obnoxious on Avengers Assemble .

Now, if we were talking about Wonder Woman on Justice League Action, she totally deserves her own cartoon .

Marvel writers wish to weave their political ideologies into their stories. Is it really a wonder that their sales are lagging behind DC's? Their popularity is following suit.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 07-31-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Marvel writers wish to weave their political ideologies into their stories. Is it really a wonder that their sales are lagging behind DC's? Their popularity is following suit.
    That isn't why Marvel is lagging in sales. DC's writers have been weaving political commentary into their stories since the very first issue of Superman. And Marvel still outsells DC