Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Thinking about this further, my summation is... it's a draw. While I do feel they are indeed pretty much even in the (incomparably?) high caliber of female characters they each have, I still believe Marvel just has more of them (by default?). But that DC currently does (and has done, in recent history), a better job overall, of managing & promoting theirs. TBH & fair, I am more familiar & involved with the MU as a whole tho, so my views might be skewed. ThanX to the Mutants mostly, and their ripple effect of interest-cum-enthusiasm reverberating beyond their own somewhat self-contained X-book borders, and X-tending to the Avengers, F4, Spidey, etc. ... into virtual perpetuality.
    Comparing the female heroes of Justice League Action with the female heroes on Avengers Assemble and I have to give a pretty major edge to the former, on-top of the animated movies, DC Super Hero Girls, and the like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Comparing the female heroes of Justice League Action with the female heroes on Avengers Assemble and I have to give a pretty major edge to the former, on-top of the animated movies, DC Super Hero Girls, and the like.
    DC has the edge in animation these days, overall, period (such as it is). And I couldn't say, as barring their (DC's animated) movies, I don't follow any of those things & have only casual awareness at best.

I try to consider everything, from Marvel's entire, almost 60 yr. history, to DC's like what... 80+ years, across the board, in all mediums: comics, cartoons, (video) games, live action movies & TV, merchandising... as well as marketing & promotion, along with fan reaction & enthusiasm, press coverage, etc. And there are so many more, abstract factors, again that stem from demographics (for instance), which can affect any statistical data when applied... in a number of profound ways, pun intended. The devil ALWAYS bein' in the details, is certainly true enough!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Misogynoir.
    This is my new favorite word.

But nope! None of that! Because misogynoir. It's why Monica Rambeau will never again be allowed to lead the main Avengers team. She can lead tertiary teams, and that's it. Monica Rambeau will never be allowed to be as major a character as she was under Roger Stern, because she is a black woman. It's that simple.
    Isn't she with the Ultimates now? She doesn't have time to babysit the Avengers when she's helping solving cosmic problems, like turning Galactus from a world-eater to a life bringer. Let's see the Avengers or the Fantastic Four pull that shit off.

Ultimate Member

DC puts out films, TV shows, toys, backpacks, lunchboxes, you name it as far a merchandising goes. DC Superhero Girls is a billion dollar marketing bonanza for them as well. And they managed to make the first genuinely good female-led superhero movie, well like ever.

Meanwhile, Marvel has very little of that. No marketing tailored more towards girls, heck despite being one of the most high-profile MCU characters (and pretty popular as well), it's hard to even find Black Widow merchandise right now. And while they're STARTING to try and fix that maybe (bringing in a black Valkyrie for the next Thor movie, AOS actually has a fairly diverse cast, including multiple women with their own distinct personalities and abilities/talents, Agent Carter is something of a breakout character, Jessica Jones, etc), they are still very much playing catch-up right now.

How about a Captain Marvel cartoon? Or a "Marvel Superhero Girls" thing? Or heck not even that far. How about in their next Marvel show, they have a majority female team (say 5 females and two males, as opposed to the other way around like it usually is). And MUCH MORE merchandising is needed to.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    How about a Captain Marvel cartoon? Or a "Marvel Superhero Girls" thing? Or heck not even that far. How about in their next Marvel show, they have a majority female team (say 5 females and two males, as opposed to the other way around like it usually is). And MUCH MORE merchandising is needed to.
    They could do A-Force again.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    With the version of Carol Danvers from the current Marvel cartoons?

I'm usually all for more prominence of Marvel ladies in animation, but I'm not sure if even I would check that out unless they really improved on her characterization...

I'm usually all for more prominence of Marvel ladies in animation, but I'm not sure if even I would check that out unless they really improved on her characterization...
    Or one about Ms Marvel with Carol sometimes showing up.

BANNED

Given how much push Disney puts into their "Disney Princess" line, someone should call out Disney and Marvel for not making a Marvel girls line for little girls.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given how much push Disney puts into their "Disney Princess" line, someone should call out Disney and Marvel for not making a Marvel girls line for little girls.
    I imagine the first is the cause of the second.Wasn't the whole point of Disney buying Mavel was because so much of their programming geared towards girls and they wanted something that appealed more to boys?
    Last edited by Baseman; 08-08-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I imagine the first is the cause of the second.Wasn't the whole point of Disney buying Mavel was because so much of their programming geared towards girls
    Yeah, Disney bought Marvel with the expectation that they could appeal more to boys now.

Invincible Member

I imagine the first is the cause of the second.Wasn't the whole point of Disney buying Mavel was because so much of their programming geared towards girls and they wanted something that appealed more to boys?
    Exactly. That was their whole reason for buying Marvel in the first place. They don't need Marvel's help in attracting girls.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    DC has the edge in animation these days, overall, period (such as it is). And I couldn't say, as barring their (DC's animated) movies, I don't follow any of those things & have only casual awareness at best.

I try to consider everything, from Marvel's entire, almost 60 yr. history, to DC's like what... 80+ years, across the board, in all mediums: comics, cartoons, (video) games, live action movies & TV, merchandising... as well as marketing & promotion, along with fan reaction & enthusiasm, press coverage, etc. And there are so many more, abstract factors, again that stem from demographics (for instance), which can affect any statistical data when applied... in a number of profound ways, pun intended. The devil ALWAYS bein' in the details, is certainly true enough!
    DC has had Marvel beat for decades upon decades in animation AND video games. All Marvel had was X-Men:TAS and Spider-Man. DC was killing it with Batman, Superman and then the Justice League Series all the way up to Teen Titans and Young Justice. Nothing Marvel has had since the two shows I mentioned have even reached the quality of Young Justice. Earth's Mightiest Heroes tried but it fell short.

Yeah, it makes sense now why they haven't promoted the female heroes as they should have. The DC show Young Justice was cancelled not only because of lack of toy sales, but because it was attracting the female demographic. Companies like to separate the demographics and don't like when they overlap, for some reason I don't get.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Amazing Member

Not sure if you are interested but as a additional information Carol is going to show in the Future Avengers anime, she is on the opening, but i think that Janet as Wasp is the fixed woman of the team other than one of the original kids characters who is a shapeshifting girl. As a villain I only shaw Enchanterss by the moment but there are only 2 episodes in raw form at the moment.

If you are interested in the posibility of doing a series there with a girl as a main character C. B. Cebulski is the american coordinator he could talk about that option with them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Yeah, it makes sense now why they haven't promoted the female heroes as they should have. The DC show Young Justice was cancelled not only because of lack of toy sales, but because it was attracting the female demographic. Companies like to separate the demographics and don't like when they overlap, for some reason I don't get.
    Didn't Wiseman swear up and down on Twitter that this wasn't the case?