Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

As someone who is not American, i thought about giving my 2 cents. I really enjoyed this issue.

It was a fun history lesson for me, with good character moments. I wouldn't call it a bad issue in no way.

BANNED

I hear this was Tomasi & Gleason's audition for them to take over 'Champions'.

Always Rakzo

They would do a better job than Waid there at least. Lord knows he has offended a lot of people by being "progressive" when his objective was all the contrary.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Not the best by any stretch, but at least I could tell Tomasi actually gave a damn for the first time since the beginning of the multiverse arc. I so wish he could just write a book about the Kent Family just hanging out, rather than an action-driven book that his skills simply don't match at all. I expect the next issue is going to be the last of this run I'll pick up myself for the foreseeable future.
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    It's because it ends with Lois telling Jon that maybe shouldn't be so hard on his history teacher, when all Clark suggested was that maybe Jon ask why they didn't learn about Deborah Sampson in class.

I didn't think they were hard on him in the first place, so all I got from that is that they shouldn't have been questioning his decisions in the first place.
    It's common for people to measure an education level to what they personally learned. Something learned in the youth of Lois and Clark (really Patrick and Peter) not being known and presently taught would inspire a comment like on that page.

But even then, it wasn't serious. I don't think it was any less a playful jab than relating reverent Americans to the likes of Sean Hannity. And speaking of him, I have to say that embracing the "Coexist" stickers is decidedly what hardcore conservatives like Hannity are not about.

I enjoyed it, not bad.

I did not like this issue at all. I prefer Superman representing the goodness of humanity, not one country. In general, I don't like preachy books.

This was the first issue of Rebirth Superman that completely bored me. I just wanted it to end...

I keep seeing people mention that the next issue will be more of the same. Doesn't 28 start the next story arc, "Fear Itself"?

Count me in as another who thought this was a major swing and a miss. I'm not against Superman and Lois taking their son on a trip featuring a history lesson of the country in July, but as has already been said, the way they went about it was so mundane, boring and preachy. Without even a sci-fi/fantasy filter behind it. I'm fine with a patriotic issue. But this read like an issue of Grounded.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

As a non american reader (althought my country has his own Independence Day), i thought that it was fine, i got the idea of what Tomasi was trying to do here, but he execution was flawed and a bit mundane (althought i loved the part with the Niaghara Fall).

Om the positive side, Unknown Soldier is appearing in the next issue.

I just think if you're going to do a history lesson issue, you go big in the way you always go big with Superman. This team, with the exception of this issue, has demonstrated great understanding of that. What I mean by going big is doing things we normal people do but the Superman way, which is just amped up several degrees. Like Superlad said, you utilize time travel. Or maybe do this in the fortress on some sort of holodeck where they can visit re-creations of certain key American eras/moments. Or if they wanted the true to form road trip, throw something into the actual trip that Superman has to take care of which can tie into the theme. Something like that. Just a regular joe blow family riding in an RV though is really boring, and that's really all this issue was, with some preachiness on the side (to be fair there I've seen worse, but it was present to some degree). I'm all for interludes to come down after big arcs, but they should be fun to read as well. Hopefully #28 shores up these issues and delivers something fun before heading into Fear Itself.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-19-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lol, I hope it's the real unknown soldier and not just using the name for a snazzy issue title

Well, The Losers already appeared (sorta), i don't see why he can't be here, unless that they wanted to futher the vet soldier theme in another way.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    It's well written, and true to the character, agree with Tommy or not. We learn that a killer respects Superman, and Superman is cheered up by a killer.

This issue doesn't have anything like that.
    Yeah the great thing about that story was that it had an actual story with a problem and solution, and both characters had great character moments to work with.

It's ranked among the greatest Superman stories because it ends up speaking truths about a the character.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-19-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

After Black Dawn I definitely will give the benefit of the doubt to Pete and Pat that even the tiniest morsel of a notion they might introduce in an issue like this will end up paying off down the line. But every week it's sort of a guess whether Superman or Super Sons will be my favorite, and this week it was assuredly Super Sons.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com