Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Was I the only one here who actually loved the bit with Superman "asleep at the cape", so to speak? I don't know that I've ever seen him doze off while flying, I actually got quite a kick out of that. Especially the crash...c'mon Clark, you grew up in Kansas. You know the value of pulling to the side of the road (cloud) to catch a wink LOL
    No, you're not the only one...That's a bit that's makes him human.

I liked bits and pieces of this. This is the sort of thing that "grounds" Superman and connects him to humanity. He likes doing it, it allows him to relax a bit and it gets him down on the plane of ordinary people, cause he's doing what they're doing.

yes a little preachy, but I seemed to like this issue better than some on here did. Liked the ending with Clark and Lois, even if it was just a few minutes of "Adult Time". Art didn't bother me either.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    No, you're not the only one...That's a bit that's makes him human.

I liked bits and pieces of this. This is the sort of thing that "grounds" Superman and connects him to humanity. He likes doing it, it allows him to relax a bit and it gets him down on the plane of ordinary people, cause he's doing what they're doing.
    Yeah, that was a great moment - the Niagara Falls one was pretty awesome, too.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    I didn't pick up this issue yet. Is the political stuff leftist rhetoric or right-wing proselytizing? I don't read comics for either one and avoid both like the Bloodmorel. Just want to know if I should skip this issue.
    I would consider the political stuff more right-wing as it felt more conservative. Probably just Clark Kent's farmboy side from Kansas.

Just to realliterate others thoughts( as a not american)- I also felt it was a bit preachy, exposition heavy, patriotic and contained forced social commentaries.I don't mind exposition dumps but keep it to only one an issue! Though that sounds like a rant I didn't hate the issue an enjoyed the first half with them at home and Niagara falls. ( and the number plate bit was fun but completely illegal(?(at least it would be where i live)))
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Spectacular Member

This is the first time I've regretted buying digital since I started. I wanted a refund on this. I'm buying DC in part because its not doing what Marvel is doing. They've just been telling fun comic book stories. The stuff with Superman vs his Super foes? Thats good stuff. Thats what I'm here to buy. The stuff in this issue is a big part of why I quit comics several years back and its departure was why I came back. I'm going to go back and look up the writer on this one. He/she is on probation with me.

Quote Originally Posted by KingDragonlord View Post
    This is the first time I've regretted buying digital since I started. I wanted a refund on this. I'm buying DC in part because its not doing what Marvel is doing. They've just been telling fun comic book stories. The stuff with Superman vs his Super foes? Thats good stuff. Thats what I'm here to buy. The stuff in this issue is a big part of why I quit comics several years back and its departure was why I came back. I'm going to go back and look up the writer on this one. He/she is on probation with me.
    Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason wrote this issue and they're the regular Superman writers. So if you're going to ignore their work, you're gonna have to drop Superman altogether. This story only has one more issue and future solicits have no preachy politics or grandstanding lecturing in sight.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason wrote this issue and they're the regular Superman writers. So if you're going to ignore their work, you're gonna have to drop Superman altogether. This story only has one more issue and future solicits have no preachy politics or grandstanding lecturing in sight.
    Thank you. How do you know this stuff in advance? That would be helpful.

Thank you. How do you know this stuff in advance? That would be helpful.
    DC have released solicitations for their comics months in advance for some time. If you follow any comic sites like CBR, Newsarama or social media, you'll see a link when all the solicits are released. Usually between the 17th-25th of each month. If you're interested, after the Declaration story ends, there's a two part story called 'Fear Itself' involving Sinestro and the Anti Matter Universe. And after that is 'Imperius Lex' which is about the Superman Family and Lex Luthor getting involved in a civil war on Apokolips for Darkseid's throne.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 07-22-2017 at 11:21 AM.

Spectacular Member

Worth noting. I watch a channel called Diversity & Comics, he's ex military. A military man who can't use his legs would be drawing a check, enough to live on. If he's on the street its because he barely served, or he's lying about serving or he's got a drug and alcohol problem and spends too much on that to afford a home. We take care of our vets. Most people on the streets are either there very temporarily or something is wrong in the head to the point where all the people they know that could help him have written him off (and it is usually a guy).

He also notes that what happened to Deborah Sampson isn't special, it happened to him too (regarding the paycheck). She isn't notable because there are tons of soldiers who have done what she did, she'd only be special for being a woman while doing them.

Worth noting. I watch a channel called Diversity & Comics, he's ex military. A military man who can't use his legs would be drawing a check, enough to live on. If he's on the street its because he barely served, or he's lying about serving or he's got a drug and alcohol problem and spends too much on that to afford a home. We take care of our vets. Most people on the streets are either there very temporarily or something is wrong in the head to the point where all the people they know that could help him have written him off (and it is usually a guy).

He also notes that what happened to Deborah Sampson isn't special, it happened to him too (regarding the paycheck). She isn't notable because there are tons of soldiers who have done what she did, she'd only be special for being a woman while doing them.
    I saw that video today as well, that definitely undermines the whole point of the Clark stands up for the ex military man scene. He said a wounded soldier would be getting enough money to buy a house and to live off so the guy being on the street would definitely be suspect in reality.

Not a single mention of Republicans, Democrats, or Bolsheviks.

Just a nice, downtime issue.

Some families do take educational vacations, Uknow.

And I'd guess 1/20 kids can define the word empathy, so that panel didn't ring any fire alarms for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Was I the only one here who actually loved the bit with Superman "asleep at the cape", so to speak? I don't know that I've ever seen him doze off while flying, I actually got quite a kick out of that. Especially the crash...c'mon Clark, you grew up in Kansas. You know the value of pulling to the side of the road (cloud) to catch a wink LOL
    Personally I didn't care for the scene.

1) Not only have I never seen him doze off while flying as you point out, I after years of reading don't ever recall Superman being tired. It was always my understanding that other than needing REM sleep every so often for mental reasons, sleep wasn't something Superman needed to do. Given a steady supply of yellow solar rays a Kryptonian could be physically on the go without food, water, air, sleep, etc.

2) If Superman was getting sleepy, I certainly can't see him continuing to fly. Either he'd land somewhere remote and catch a catnap or he'd put on a final burst of energy to get outside the atmosphere before taking said catnap in space. No way he takes the risk of crashing down unexpectedly or of colliding with some object (mountain, plane, ...)

It was so bad I couldn't finish the issue. So preachy and cringeworthy.

I liked it.

I enjoy history, and a reminder to honor our vets in a July Fourth issue seemed pretty apolitical. One of the best parts of this run for me is the balance of super heroics and family life, I would have loved this trip if I was 10.

For me the runs only bad spot is the multiversity arc. At first I wondered if it was just my not reading Mutiversity, but the people here who like that book seemed to dislike the arc as well. I'm looking forward to the next issue.