Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Daredevil, #5

"Daredevil" #5 shows readers what the completely synchronous creative team of Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, Javier Rodriguez and Joe Caramagna can deliver, thanks to the appearance of Leapfrog and the death of Foggy Nelson.

Full review here.

I wholeheartedly agree with this review. This is a wonderful comic book story.
    BOOSTER GOLD (Michael Jon Carter), HAWKEYE (Clint Barton), IRON FIST (Daniel Rand), MOON KNIGHT (Marc Spector aka Steven Grant aka Jake Lockley), NIGHTCRAWLER (Kurt Wagner), NOVA (Richard Rider)

All-New Member

When you're mostly into heavy, gripping and occasionally cynical creator owned comics, Daredevil provides an amazing "chaser." DD never fails to put a smile on my face when I read it.

This was a nice, touching comic, but I'm getting kind of bored with this series. Waid & Samnee Daredevil is flawless in the sense that I can't really find anything wrong with it, and it's certainly written and drawn very well, but I'd like to see a little more aspiration.

I loved the opening of the last volume with Rivera and Martin, but I'm not as big on Samnee. I think his covers and designs are extremely good and he is undoubtedly a great artist, but I find something about his sequential art slightly boring. It's great storytelling but it kind of lacks a sense of style or energy that I like in my comics art. And as for Waid, he's great at feel-good superheroics and certainly understands how to write a very solid script with solid characterization, but I think he needs to up the stakes a little or really push things more. They should be doing more with San Fran so far and really letting us feel how shaken up Matt's world is. And I think even though a happy, cavalier Daredevil is a needed change of pace and probably still the right direction to stick with for a while, I think ultimately the darker and grittier Frank Miller Daredevil is what I really prefer.

Basically tl;dr, I could see myself dropping this book and probably already would have dropped it if I didn't like Daredevil so much and find his character so appealing. If you had this exact same level of quality but they were doing an Ant-Man book, there is no way I'd still be buying it.
    Last edited by El Sombrero; 07-12-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Incredible Member

If this creative team was doing an Ant-Man book, I would be ecstatic. Best take on Hank in a very long time.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    If this creative team was doing an Ant-Man book, I would be ecstatic. Best take on Hank in a very long time.
    I could see that happening in time for the Ant Man movie (and with the creative team signing off on Daredevil around that time, too)

So.... What's stopping them? Marvel needs to do a Hank Pym - Daredevil Teamup book already. Here they save Foggy Nelson from public media hounding, and they have both already teamed up to work on the Hulk and Bruce Banners problems. These two, Hank and Matty work like a well oiled machine, and don't miss a beat. Hank provides the technology and the Pym particles, and Daredevil supplies the muscle. I like how they naturally compliment each other, and how they naturally find each other. It gives Hank Pym a legitimate purpose in life after the Mighty Avengers fell apart, and his New Artificial Intelligence has disappeared. It takes them back to the Avengers Academy again in San Fran and we can get these wonderful views of Pier 39 and the Golden Gate. With some Alcatraz and X-Men in between. Love the Market Street, (my favourite comic shop), and Union Square.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-12-2014 at 05:27 PM.

This is such a great book going at the moment . cant wait for for the original sin tie in with the background of daredevils mother ! No one has even touched this subject since kevin smith did volume 2 . its going to be riskie !

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Agreed.

I'm hoping if or when Marvel do a Ant-Man book it is written by Waid

I love Waid's Hank. It reminds me a bit more of him in West Coast Avengers -- a bit of a hero, but much more into the scientific aspects. Here's hoping we do get Waid on a Hank book.

it's so awesome to see them both credited as "Storytellers".

and yeah, let's get an Ant-Man book going already! i think Humphries would be just as good at writing him as Wait, however. I loved his take on Pym's bipolarness