Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Things that are obscure in America, but are well-known throughout the world?

After being under the impression that just about anything from pop media culture that is global in scale and top-tier in recognition and popularity would come straight from the United States or North America, I also notice that other notable countries like Japan, Britain, and Western Europe have their own pop culture icons and commercialized creations of entertainment that are revered across the planet like the Belgian comic TinTin, the Japanese anime/manga Doraemon, Belgian comic Asterix and Obelix, the British comic Rupert the Bear, etc. yet for some reason they have never been too popular in my country or continent.

What are things in visual media or the entertainment industry or hell anything at all within the past 100+ years or so, that are or have been popular and widely known throughout the whole world, except for the United States or Canada?

And if possible, what do you think are reasons that they have never been so big in the United States, despite being prominent in the Eastern Hemisphere?

Shakira might be the most popular pop idol in Latino America but i understand why they dont pay attention her even after she sang in the world cup, besides she married a soccer player, less reason for americans to know about her.

Quote Originally Posted by mojotastic View Post
    Shakira might be the most popular pop idol in Latino America but i understand why they dont pay attention her even after she sang in the world cup, besides she married a soccer player, less reason for americans to know about her.
    Shakira was something of a one hit wonder in the US https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT5rEU6pqM was popular. But it never got beyond that.

One example I recently learned of was Dennis the Menace. Which is confusing because most Americans know Dennis the Menace, just not the one that's popular in the UK.

This Dennis http://img.sharetv.com/shows/standar...the_menace.jpg
    Had cartoons, movies, and a long running comic strip.

This Dennis is almost entirely unknown https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/childrens-r..._image_bid.png

whole thing's rather interesting https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010...is-the-menace/
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Sensible gun laws

Publicly-funded health care

Medium serving sizes that aren't big enough to feed two people

Not attaching your country's flag to everything you own

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    HA, oh man you have never been in a latino american country, havent you?
    Here people are pretty nationalistic and they will try to attach the flag into anything that shows their country is better than the other nations in latino america or at least make them proud.

BANNED

Sensible gun laws

Yeah let's not try to stray into politics here, please. Just stick to beloved celebrities and popular entertainment.

I was pretty surprised with how popular cricket was in Hong Kong. When I lived and worked there, I often saw a lot of Southeast Asian kids and adults playing cricket in the parks. The informal nature of those games interested me. There weren't any particular cricket areas. Rather, people found an open spot in the park and just tossed and hit. It reminded me of my next door neighbors playing catch and kids doing batting practice in the parks here in the states.

Also, badminton is very popular in China and Hong Kong. Lots of my students and friends played tons of badminton.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    Yeah let's not try to stray into politics here, please. Just stick to beloved celebrities and popular entertainment.
    I post what I want.

Sensible gun laws

First thing I thought of was Universal Healthcare.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I post what I want.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Simone Bittencourt de Oliveira is obscure in North America, but a mega smash hit in Brasil :-)

Astonishing Member

Sensible gun laws

Acid attacks...

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Acid attacks...
    Not close to the same scale as gun violence in America

Smoking seems to be a bigger thing overseas than here in the US.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Guys I'm afraid you're not understanding the point of this thread, we're talking about celebrities and works that are obscure in recognition and pop culture influence here in United States, not stuff that are unpopular and hated in America.