Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Secret Empire: an apology letter to Marvel fans? (Midly spoilers)

After reading the last chapter of Secret Empire and the previous issue, it feels like Marvel is revisiting all the failing and mistakes commited by the characters in the last times since the first Civil war, all voiced in Steve. How their hidding their sins has come to haunt them, how they had lost her way,caused their own fall but also how some of them still remember how to be heros (great moment for Ben Grimm!).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    After reading the last chapter of Secret Empire and the previous issue, it feels like Marvel is revisiting all the failing and mistakes commited by the characters in the last times since the first Civil war, all voiced in Steve. How their hidding their sins has come to haunt them, how they had lost her way,caused their own fall but also how some of them still remember how to be heros (great moment for Ben Grimm!).
    Yes they are addressing some long standing points, but far from apologising, I believe Spencer is embracing them. He is leaning into the drama.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes they are addressing some long standing points, but far from apologising, I believe Spencer is embracing them. He is leaning into the drama.
    Yea this is in no way an apology. Instead, it's basically Marvel trying to lecture us about all the damage and weakness all the hero calls hero has wrought. Problem is that it doesn't work and rings hypocritical since they're the ones who perpetuated it even when everyone was sick of it. It's gotten to the point that one of Marvel's promises with Legacy is heroes vs villains. When it gets to the point that you have to promise to your readers that you're going to do possibly the most basic of concepts in hero comics, you've really messed up.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 07-19-2017 at 05:56 PM.

With the whole HYDRACap business, I wouldn't take it as an apology. Personally, between the central premise (good guy turned evil because of reasons) and the kind of story it is (yet another blasted event coming after constant blasted events that's supposed to lead into yet another round of blasted events), I take it as a slap in the face. I don't read comics for crap like this. In fact, crap like this tells me its time to move on (like say, DC).

Mighty Member

I like secret empire, because for an event it's well written, but it's not an apology and i'm totally not ok with his conclusion: For me, on the contrary, Spencer is saying the that the old heroes are irremediably flawed and the future is in the hand of the New generation.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

The funny thing about what Steve is lecturing Bruce banner about is in many ways it's exactly what he's trying to do so its kinda hypocritical for him to argue against something he claims to be the problem yet it's in many ways exactly what Steve is trying to do as hydra's new supreme leader.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Yes, exactly. Spencer is squeezing the history of these characters for all the built-up drama they have between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yea this is in no way an apology. Instead, it's basically Marvel trying to lecture us about all the damage and weakness all the hero calls hero has wrought.
    Not a lecture. Just characters with troubled history together airing their grievances on an epic scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Problem is that it doesn't work and rings hypocritical since they're the ones who perpetuated it even when everyone was sick of it. It's gotten to the point that one of Marvel's promises with Legacy is heroes vs villains. When it gets to the point that you have to promise to your readers that you're going to do possibly the most basic of concepts in hero comics, you've really messed up.
    Again, this isn't about lecturing the reader, so there's no hypocrisy about it. It's about these characters coming to terms with their own failings and taking a bitterly honest look at how they've fallen short and wondering what they can do to atone.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    With the whole HYDRACap business, I wouldn't take it as an apology. Personally, between the central premise (good guy turned evil because of reasons) and the kind of story it is (yet another blasted event coming after constant blasted events that's supposed to lead into yet another round of blasted events), I take it as a slap in the face. I don't read comics for crap like this. In fact, crap like this tells me its time to move on (like say, DC).
    Yes, because you won't find constant blasted event after constant blasted event there.

Hold up, it's Justice League vs. Suicide Squad!

Hey, look it's The Button!

And oh hi, Metal!

Hold on, is that the Dark Multiverse I see?

And hey there, Doomsday Clock!

Stay tuned for Rebirth II - coming soon!

If you're going to complain about events, just don't pretend that DC isn't every bit as guilty in perpetrating them.

Loved that moment with Ben, he never forgot how to be a hero. Wish he lasted longer against Hulk though like in the old days....
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member

That moment with Ben Grimm is going down as one of my all time favorite comic book moments.

You know, now that I think of it, Ben Grimm has really mostly stayed out of most of the bigger conflicts. Even when he is involved, it's never been like he was on the very frontlines.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    That moment with Ben Grimm is going down as one of my all time favorite comic book moments.
    It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    And oh hi, Metal!

Same event.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

And oh hi, Metal!

If you're going to complain about events, just don't pretend that DC isn't every bit as guilty in perpetrating them.
    Metal is the only actual, line-wide, event in that list, most of the other books you've listed are just smaller crossovers (The Button), or a different line of comics entirely (Dark Multiverse/Dark Matter) or independent storylines (Doomsday Clock) .

Hardly what I'd call blasting "event after event."

And even as a line-wide event, Metal isn't going to have anywhere near as many tie-ins as a Marvel crossover does. If that means anything...

BANNED

it does have a watchmen like look about it asking the question who will watch the guardians and taking it further saying a "superman" created to lead them to victory in war has set the whole world in sights and ultimately is successfully carving out a empire and managing it as he sees fit just as rosharche wanted to unite all the nations against a common threat. If Steve turns up killed by miles as a John doe and the old man Steve turns out to be the real Steve with invaders investigating his death and Old man Steve starting a crusade to kill all Super Soldiers in secret because only he rembrs what happened and the cosmic cube takes sentient form and leaves earth and goes to mars I will be sure.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 07-19-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Yes, because you won't find constant blasted event after constant blasted event there.

And oh hi, Metal!

A couple points. First off, I don't follow what DC publishes that much (I only read like one series they've got right now), so I am somewhat out of the loop (I was also using DC as an example, since they're the only other company who has anything I want or might want). Second point, as far as I can tell, most of DC event's are in side issues or only affect a handful of titles, as opposed to Marvel's where they hijack everything. The hijacking everything is the thing I hate about events, not their use in the first place.

Finally, I'm hearing nothing but good things overall about DC Rebirth (including the events). Marvel, I'm getting very mixed opinions and the controversial stuff is stuff that, on paper, I don't want to touch with a 39 1/2 foot pole. So, maybe both do events, but DC seems to be the one doing them well, judging by the receptions.

(We also don't have DC pushing crap like HYDRACap, which is another beef. New and legacy characters have their place and are needed, but I also want a source of classic stuff, not just weird stuff like Cap as a Nazi or Spider-Man as Iron Man, etc.)

Marvel wanted this so can not say it's a confession or an apology.

To tell the truth, it was a very sad thing to read except for the scene with Ben.

I really wanted the cosmic cube to erase some things otherwise not even Legacy can save certain characters from the acts they've committed and that will haunt them for years.