Amazing Member

Default If Thomas and Martha Wayne returned to life

If Batman's parents were returned to him in some silly comic book way do you think that Bruce would feel the need to be Batman anymore?
    How do you think his parents would feel knowing what their son has been doing?

Just a random thought. In no way do I support the Waynes ever being resurrected (in fact I dislike any resurrections in comics).

Spectacular Member

Well batmans uncle returned in zero year so I don't think so but I don't know. Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    If Batman's parents were returned to him in some silly comic book way do you think that Bruce would feel the need to be Batman anymore?
    In the Superman/Batman "Absolute Power" story (which dealt with time-travel), Batman was able to stop Joe Chill from killing his parents, which changed the timeline and immediately erased him as Batman, and put him in an all-new time-line. He was happy as Bruce, until Clark (who was time-travelling with him) reminded him of who/what he was. So, the desire to save his parents, would always be there, but in the end, he knew he had to be Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    How do you think his parents would feel knowing what their son has been doing?
    I'm really hazy on "Death and the Maidens", but in that story Ra's al Ghul gave Bruce some sort of alchematic brew, that allowed him to converse with the dead (or believe that he was). If I remember right, both of his parents didn't really approve of how he was spending his life.

Those are just a couple examples. Different writers would approach these things differently.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I can't really see Batman deciding that all the people he's saved, sometimes the entire world, can just go fly a kite and save themselves because mummy and dad have been resurrected.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

He'd keep going, that his loss was magically repealed doesn't mean others were or would be. Honestly, I could see them become estranged from him were they to return; would you be able to cope emotionally if you saw your son become what Bruce is? Death and the Maidens touched on that idea really well, and the answer was a solid and frankly understandable "no".
    Buh-bye

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    He'd keep going, that his loss was magically repealed doesn't mean others were or would be. Honestly, I could see them become estranged from him were they to return; would you be able to cope emotionally if you saw your son become what Bruce is? Death and the Maidens touched on that idea really well, and the answer was a solid and frankly understandable "no".
    I was abit underwhelmed initially when reading Death & the Maidens ( think it was a combination of how hyped it is and reading the intro, and some of the art felt very Chaykin inspired but somewhat rushed). That said, his parents reaction was a highlight, as well as the death camp scenes

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    In the Superman/Batman "Absolute Power" story (which dealt with time-travel), Batman was able to stop Joe Chill from killing his parents, which changed the timeline and immediately erased him as Batman, and put him in an all-new time-line. He was happy as Bruce, until Clark (who was time-travelling with him) reminded him of who/what he was. So, the desire to save his parents, would always be there, but in the end, he knew he had to be Batman.

I'm really hazy on "Death and the Maidens", but in that story Ra's al Ghul gave Bruce some sort of alchematic brew, that allowed him to converse with the dead (or believe that he was). If I remember right, both of his parents didn't really approve of how he was spending his life.

Those are just a couple examples. Different writers would approach these things differently.

Thanks for letting me know about these comics. These should be interesting reading.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Various stories have appeared over the years which explore the question of whether Bruce would become/continue being Batman if his parents were around. The result is pretty much always YES. Bruce has gone too far down the route of his chosen crusade to ever willingly stop, and besides, even if doesn't consciously acknowledge it, being Batman is a *gas*. No other life could be more exciting.

Buried alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014