Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #2 Spoiler Discussion

Seeing that no one has started this thread...

I'm not good with summaries, so bear with me:

-Issue opens where it left off in the last issue.
    -Ironheart says how can Spidey say "she's under arrest"?
    -They banter. Spidey wants her autograph.(kill me)
    -They fight. They patch up. Peter gets her and Tony A.I. up to date with the Stark-Phone-Hacking situation.
    -Then Johnny messages Spidey about Teresa. Spidey wants a lift, is given a lift. More unfunny banter on the ride.
    -Peter gets to his apartment. Tells Johnny Teresa is her sister-not-sister CIA agent.
    -Johnny meta jokes about Spider-Man being a relatable superhero.(these meta jokes need to stop)
    -Teresa tells her story. She says she quit CIA and joined a independent from SHIELD agency named Something Blade.(great memory I have)
    -But she find out that this agency isn't all good and is preparing a Project Twilight, to counter superheroes and supervillains.
    -She steals the data, tells her friend at SHIELD, Something Blade covers it up, now she's a fugitive, and hence here. Tired and sleeps.
    -Peter makes Johnny babysit her and goes for her date with that girl(Yay my memory)
    -Unfunny and not charming conversation happens. More meta jokes. Did I say that Peter goes on the date with full Spidey gear and a coat? Spidey tells how his superheroics puts family members/girlfriends in dangers. The girl comments how her being with actual Spider-Man would be more dangerous. [sarcasm]HA HA![/sarcasm]
    -Ironheart call Spidey. Tells she traced the area of the phone where they have been(I didn't really paid much attention to that). Bla Bla Bla! Kingpin has something to do with it.
    -At the apartment, Teresa is looking at Peter's photo frames, then takes out the photo of Richard, Mary and baby Peter at hospital.
    This was bad. Even with low expectation after the first issue. Didn't like it at all.

BANNED

This issue was a real slog to get through for me. The overabundance of humor doesn't really work when it all completely falls flat. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't chuckle or even smile once while reading this comic despite jokes being thrown around on every other page. Plus, we are now two issues into this series and I have absolutely zero interest in anything that is going on. The Teresa plot could be interesting, but it's moving far too slowly for me to care. And The Kingpin? I'm not too hyped at the idea of seeing Spider-Man and Teresa take him on again so soon after Family Business. This is quickly shaping up to be a rather bland confrontation.

The art is fine, but certainly not Adam Kubert's best. I don't really have much more to say on the subject.

Overall, I know that this book just launched, but my interest in continuing to read it is depleting rapidly. Not a strong showing of Chip Zdarsky's writing prowess in my opinion.

GRADE: D-
    Last edited by Masked Guy; 07-31-2017 at 08:15 PM.

I am a little stunned. Did Peter just leave his sister with the Human Torch just to go on a date with someone he just met?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorSuperboy View Post
    I am a little stunned. Did Peter just leave his sister with the Human Torch just to go on a date with someone he just met?
    Yes. And he went on the date as Spider-Man. WTF factor is through the roof.

I'd thought Peter would had been a little more attached to Theresa. This issue wasn't really great tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    This issue was a real slog to get through for me. The overabundance of humor doesn't really work when it all completely falls flat. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't chuckle or even smile once while reading this comic despite jokes being thrown around on every other page. Plus, we are now two issues into this series and I have absolutely zero interest in anything that is going on. The Teressa plot could be interesting, but it's moving far too slowly for me to care. And The Kingpin? I'm not too hyped at the idea of seeing Spider-Man and Teressa take him on again after Family Business. This is quickly shaping up to be a rather bland confrontation.

The art is fine, but certainly not Adam Kubert's best. I don't really have much more to say on the subject.

Overall, I know that this book just launched, but my interest in continuing to read it is depleting rapidly. Not a strong showing of Chip Zdarsky's writing prowess in my opinion.

GRADE: D
    I agree completely. Not a single joke was even remotely funny. And honestly, it was hard to care about anything that was happening.

This was me at least two times reading this issue:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I agree completely. Not a single joke was even remotely funny. And honestly, it was hard to care about anything that was happening.

This was me at least two times reading this issue:
    Me too. I think I actually cringed at some of the jokes. On top of that, I was thoroughly bored throughout the entire issue. I really hoped this series would be a pleasant change of pace from Dan Slott's current run on Amazing, but Zdarsky's writing is just not doing it for me.

Too, too many jokes, Spidey acting like a jerk, even Kubert draws him too distorted, skinny and big headed (in some Panels it seemed as if Riri was way taller than him). Besides it looks as if Peter lacked any scientist skill, not sure if Chip knows about that side of the character. The part with Teresa and Johnny was ok, but the date with the short-haired girl was just embarrassing.

All-New Member

Personally, I liked Rebecca, she's kinda singular in comparison to Peter's other love interests. It's just the story for now that doesn't sound compeling at all. Family Business was a great story and I'm glad to see Teressa again, but I hope things get a little less about "funny" and more about "story".

Anyway, aren't Grey Blade that guys for who Black Widow "stole" info about the spider sense?

In a minor note, I kinda miss when Spidey knew kung fu (one of the good changes of Slott that wasn't carried to other writers).

I was really disappointed with #1 of this series and #2 was even worse. It's becoming clear this is not at all the title I though it was going to be when Marvel promised a "street level, back to basics Spidey". Ironically, though, it isn't the fact that this isn't "back to basics" that isn't working for me; instead, as others have mentioned, it's the cringe-worthy unfunny and juvenile humor throughout the book as well as surprisingly weak artwork by Adam Kubert. Honestly, not much about this book is working for me; here are just some of the problems I had with this issue:

*Spidey leaves his "sister", who is a fugitive from SHIELD, alone with Johnny Storm in his apartment to go on a date with a woman he just met and spent all of 2 minutes with. The same SHIELD that has the ability to locate anyone anytime anywhere.

*On their coffee date, Spidey explains why he showed up in costume----and it had nothing to do with his reluctance to reveal his ID to a girl he literally just met. Not even a thought.

*For a "back to basics" title, the whole Teresa Parker/CIA/SHIELD info dump was a real chore to get through. I am sure the "Family Business" OGN reads better but this recap didn't work at all.

*I am no prude but Johnny's "inside me" joke with Teresa was below juvenile level and frankly out of place for a comic like this

*Riri Williams was so awkwardly shoehorned in; the whole hacked phones subplot is about as gripping as trying to figure out who is stealing from my recyclables bin.

*Why is Marvel afraid to have Peter carry his own title? The only guest star from these first 2 issues that works is Johnny and that was only in the opening pages of #1; since then, he is unnecessary.

Honestly, this has gone from being a disappointment to a bad comic in just 2 issues. I may give it one more before considering dropping it. How Marvel thought this was worthy of the PP:SSM banner and thought to tell us it was "back to basics" is beyond me when this resembles Deadpool more than classic Spidey.

Fantastic Member

I did find it very funny, one of the few comics to ever make me laugh out loud, but it was more funny in a 'this is ridiculous' way than anything else.

As a new series, one supposedly a back to basics alternative to the global CEO super science stuff, this book fails to deliver. Unfortunate, because I had such high hopes - especially because of the title
    Last edited by RD!; 07-20-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post

*Why is Marvel afraid to have Peter carry his own title? The only guest star from these first 2 issues that works is Johnny and that was only in the opening pages of #1; since then, he is unnecessary.
    I think that's the problem with nearly all of Marvel's solo these days. I've heard that most of All New Wolverine and Old Man Logan's arcs involve guest stars. Iceman has guest stars. Jean Grey's whole premise involves her jumping around MU meeting other heroes, literally every single issue.

Anyway, is no one going to mention that Spidey wants Riri's autograph "for his friend's son Normie"? Seriously? I'm not even sure if Spidey was just messing around or actually being serious. It's bad either way, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I think that's the problem with nearly all of Marvel's solo these days. I've heard that most of All New Wolverine and Old Man Logan's arcs involve guest stars. Iceman has guest stars. Jean Grey's whole premise involves her jumping around MU meeting other heroes, literally every single issue.

Anyway, is no one going to mention that Spidey wants Riri's autograph "for his friend's son Normie"? Seriously? I'm not even sure if Spidey was just messing around or actually being serious. It's bad either way, though.
    Yeah, this is a bad book and the Spidey asking Riri for her autograph was just one of numerous cringe moments reading this issue. And yes, it is a Marvel-wide problem that they have taken the shared universe idea to ridiculous lengths; IMO, the best thing Marvel can do is to let each of their characters/books breathe on their own for a bit but they seem scared to do that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Yeah, this is a bad book and the Spidey asking Riri for her autograph was just one of numerous cringe moments reading this issue. And yes, it is a Marvel-wide problem that they have taken the shared universe idea to ridiculous lengths; IMO, the best thing Marvel can do is to let each of their characters/books breathe on their own for a bit but they seem scared to do that.
    Yes, if only Marvel would give their characters time to breathe on their own before bringing in guest stars. Definitely a new problem I'm seeing.

Oh, wait.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_1.jpg

Never mind.

As for this second issue, I'm not loving this series but I do find it somewhat amusing.

I can see how anyone who finds Slott to write Peter as a man-child would find this unbearable, though, as Z'Darsky cranks that aspect up to 11. Sometimes in completely perplexing ways - like Peter asking Riri for her autograph. Come on - really?

But I do like some of Z'Darsky's humor ("Spider-Man brought in outside food! He's the real menace here!"). And I dig Rebecca. Best supporting cast addition since Anna Marie. Also, Project Twilight is intriguing and having Teresa around is cool.

As I said, I'm not loving this book but I like it enough to stick with it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, if only Marvel would give their characters time to breathe on their own before bringing in guest stars. Definitely a new problem I'm seeing.

Oh, wait.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_1.jpg

Never mind.

As for this second issue, I'm not loving this series but I do find it somewhat amusing.

I can see how anyone who finds Slott to write Peter as a man-child would find this unbearable, though, as Z'Darsky cranks that aspect up to 11. Sometimes in completely perplexing ways - like Peter asking Riri for her autograph. Come on - really?

But I do like some of Z'Darsky's humor ("Spider-Man brought in outside food! He's the real menace here!"). And I dig Rebecca. Best supporting cast addition since Anna Marie. Also, Project Twilight is intriguing and having Teresa around is cool.

As I said, I'm not loving this book but I like it enough to stick with it for now.
    Yes, I am well aware that the FF guest starred in ASM #1 but the fact is, after that, Spidey met for the first time and battled Vulture, Ock, Sandman etc all on his own without needing guest stars. It's part of the reason the book worked as well as it did. My point is, on a larger Marvel-wide scale, this is the status quo right now and---if you look back without cherry-picking throughout Marvel's best years----the constant stream of guest stars was not always the case.