Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #2 Spoiler Discussion

Seeing that no one has started this thread...

I'm not good with summaries, so bear with me:

-Issue opens where it left off in the last issue.
    -Ironheart says how can Spidey say "she's under arrest"?
    -They banter. Spidey wants her autograph.(kill me)
    -They fight. They patch up. Peter gets her and Tony A.I. up to date with the Stark-Phone-Hacking situation.
    -Then Johnny messages Spidey about Teresa. Spidey wants a lift, is given a lift. More unfunny banter on the ride.
    -Peter gets to his apartment. Tells Johnny Teresa is her sister-not-sister CIA agent.
    -Johnny meta jokes about Spider-Man being a relatable superhero.(these meta jokes need to stop)
    -Teresa tells her story. She says she quit CIA and joined a independent from SHIELD agency named Something Blade.(great memory I have)
    -But she find out that this agency isn't all good and is preparing a Project Twilight, to counter superheroes and supervillains.
    -She steals the data, tells her friend at SHIELD, Something Blade covers it up, now she's a fugitive, and hence here. Tired and sleeps.
    -Peter makes Johnny babysit her and goes for her date with that girl(Yay my memory)
    -Unfunny and not charming conversation happens. More meta jokes. Did I say that Peter goes on the date with full Spidey gear and a coat? Spidey tells how his superheroics puts family members/girlfriends in dangers. The girl comments how her being with actual Spider-Man would be more dangerous. [sarcasm]HA HA![/sarcasm]
    -Ironheart call Spidey. Tells she traced the area of the phone where they have been(I didn't really paid much attention to that). Bla Bla Bla! Kingpin has something to do with it.
    -At the apartment, Teresa is looking at Peter's photo frames, then takes out the photo of Richard, Mary and baby Peter at hospital.
    This was bad. Even with low expectation after the first issue. Didn't like it at all.

BANNED

This issue was a real slog to get through for me. The overabundance of humor doesn't really work when it all completely falls flat. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't chuckle or even smile once while reading this comic despite jokes being thrown around on every other page. Plus, we are now two issues into this series and I have absolutely zero interest in anything that is going on. The Teresa plot could be interesting, but it's moving far too slowly for me to care. And The Kingpin? I'm not too hyped at the idea of seeing Spider-Man and Teresa take him on again so soon after Family Business. This is quickly shaping up to be a rather bland confrontation.

The art is fine, but certainly not Adam Kubert's best. I don't really have much more to say on the subject.

Overall, I know that this book just launched, but my interest in continuing to read it is depleting rapidly. Not a strong showing of Chip Zdarsky's writing prowess in my opinion.

GRADE: D-
    Last edited by Masked Guy; 07-31-2017 at 08:15 PM.

I am a little stunned. Did Peter just leave his sister with the Human Torch just to go on a date with someone he just met?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorSuperboy View Post
    I am a little stunned. Did Peter just leave his sister with the Human Torch just to go on a date with someone he just met?
    Yes. And he went on the date as Spider-Man. WTF factor is through the roof.

I'd thought Peter would had been a little more attached to Theresa. This issue wasn't really great tbh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorSuperboy View Post
    Why is Peter so desperate to hook up with Rebecca London if over in Amazing he's kissing Mockingbird? Answer...Mockingbird and a Peter romance was doomed from the start and you can't have Peter with one girl for too long! I'm so tired of this endless Peter dating new women trope...how does any fan get invested in these empty romances is beyond me.Marvel...just stop it and bring Mary Jane back already!!!

I haven't read the issue yet, but is the sister the same girl from the Family Business story?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    I haven't read the issue yet, but is the sister the same girl from the Family Business story?
    Yes she is.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Why is Peter so desperate to hook up with Rebecca London if over in Amazing he's kissing Mockingbird? Answer...Mockingbird and a Peter romance was doomed from the start and you can't have Peter with one girl for too long! I'm so tired of this endless Peter dating new women trope...how does any fan get invested in these empty romances is beyond me.Marvel...just stop it and bring Mary Jane back already!!!
    Mephisto turned Peter into a player! hahahaha

I guess I'm the only one who thought Peter asking Ironheart for an autograph was hilarious.

Personally I enjoyed the issue, thought it was funny how Johnny brought up how unordinary Peter seems to be nowadays. But more importantly it was nice to see a light hearted Spider-Man book in the past 5 years.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    Mephisto turned Peter into a player! hahahaha
    And cursed him into be a real BAD player. Before Rebecca, I can't remember the last time a girl got instantly smitten by him (or Spider-man, whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    This issue was a real slog to get through for me. The overabundance of humor doesn't really work when it all completely falls flat. I'm not kidding when I say I didn't chuckle or even smile once while reading this comic despite jokes being thrown around on every other page. Plus, we are now two issues into this series and I have absolutely zero interest in anything that is going on. The Teressa plot could be interesting, but it's moving far too slowly for me to care. And The Kingpin? I'm not too hyped at the idea of seeing Spider-Man and Teressa take him on again after Family Business. This is quickly shaping up to be a rather bland confrontation.

The art is fine, but certainly not Adam Kubert's best. I don't really have much more to say on the subject.

Overall, I know that this book just launched, but my interest in continuing to read it is depleting rapidly. Not a strong showing of Chip Zdarsky's writing prowess in my opinion.

GRADE: D
    I agree completely. Not a single joke was even remotely funny. And honestly, it was hard to care about anything that was happening.

This was me at least two times reading this issue:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I agree completely. Not a single joke was even remotely funny. And honestly, it was hard to care about anything that was happening.

This was me at least two times reading this issue:
    Me too. I think I actually cringed at some of the jokes. On top of that, I was thoroughly bored throughout the entire issue. I really hoped this series would be a pleasant change of pace from Dan Slott's current run on Amazing, but Zdarsky's writing is just not doing it for me.

Too, too many jokes, Spidey acting like a jerk, even Kubert draws him too distorted, skinny and big headed (in some Panels it seemed as if Riri was way taller than him). Besides it looks as if Peter lacked any scientist skill, not sure if Chip knows about that side of the character. The part with Teresa and Johnny was ok, but the date with the short-haired girl was just embarrassing.

All-New Member

Personally, I liked Rebecca, she's kinda singular in comparison to Peter's other love interests. It's just the story for now that doesn't sound compeling at all. Family Business was a great story and I'm glad to see Teressa again, but I hope things get a little less about "funny" and more about "story".

Anyway, aren't Grey Blade that guys for who Black Widow "stole" info about the spider sense?

In a minor note, I kinda miss when Spidey knew kung fu (one of the good changes of Slott that wasn't carried to other writers).