Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Congrats to eisner award winning Chip [he won best humor publication for Jughead]

https://www.newsarama.com/35554-2017...full-list.html
    Congrats to Chip! (Although I think he deserved it for Howard The Duck instead of Jughead )

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Congrats to eisner award winning Chip [he won best humor publication for Jughead]

https://www.newsarama.com/35554-2017...full-list.html
    Congratulations to Chip Zdarsky.

So I re-read PP:SSM #2 again to see if perhaps I was being too harsh and.....no, I think it's just a bad comic full of an amorphous narrative and non-stop juvenile jokes. Even the artwork is not up to Kubert's standards IMO; lots of scratchy unfinished looking panels and just no dynamic panels at all. Peter is unfortunately depicted as a cross between Charlie Brown and Deadpool here and, worst of all, this is the title that for the past 6 months we were promised would be a return to "street level, back to basics Spidey". Well, other than no focus on the soon to be defunct Parker Industries, that is not the case at all----it is overrun by guest stars galore and the coffee shop date with Rebecca is one of the worst scenes in recent comics history for the character. This whole thing reads like a short 6-page jokey backup that should have been stuffed into an annual or anniversary issue.

Just finished the issue and came here to read the discussion. I agree with the majority that this wasn't great. One of my favorite parts about Spidey is how funny/comedic he is with his quips and so forth, but this issue has him coming off as too goofy (i.e. such as the Ironheart autograph part).

I did get a chuckle out of Spider-Man's encounter with the rude customer. "Pfft my webbing dissolves after an hour." "This is Suede." "I...it will leave a mark on Suede." lol.

I love Kingpin though, so I'll want to give this series another chance.
    Last edited by mattp24; 07-23-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Incredible Member JoeWithoutFear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    It's not the trend but it is what some people spend a lot of time worrying about, despite the usual proliferation of white male heroes.

And some characters are portrayed differently due to their age, experience and outlook. Not every character is the same.

But does that mean that one group is portrayed more heroically than the other? No.
    Writers bend over backwards to make it clear Kate is the "better" Hawkeye. In an upcoming issues, Wolverine says he is no longer "the best at what he does" after viewing Laura in action. The list goes on. Let me know when you have some equivalent counter-examples or when Kamala develops her substance abuse problem and we'll talk. Until then, it is clear that you see things very differently than I do, so, there's no changing that. I'm not trying to change that for you. So as I said a few posts ago, just enjoy your comics, dude.

Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Honestly, the Spider-Man fanbase doesn't need people who think Peter should be a loser. Go whine about Batman or someone else, and stop ruining Spider-Man for actual fans.
    mhmm
    Me: "Wanna be Hawkeye and Hawkeye next Halloween?"
    My wife: "Only if I get to be Clint."

BANNED

at one point I was looking forward to this comic, like finally Spider-Man is back! And yet it may be the most tonally confused, haphazardly sketched, remarkably unfunny Spider-Man comic Marvel has published since Get Kraven, I'm dead serious.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    at one point I was looking forward to this comic, like finally Spider-Man is back! And yet it may be the most tonally confused, haphazardly sketched, remarkably unfunny Spider-Man comic Marvel has published since Get Kraven, I'm dead serious.
    Yeah, I agree.....that comparison is, sadly, right on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    The exclamation marks really explain the entire series to me. It feels way too heightened to be realistic and it seems like a parody of Spider-Man
    Bingo. But I do think that Chip loves the character, nonetheless, and over the long game that we will see something meaningful beyond the mocking style.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

Well I for one loved this issue

I can't stand how he's written in amazing but this is the Spiderman I know and love.

Love the fact torch is in this as well, its funny and the story is getting good with kingpin and his sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And while I haven't read the Family Business GN, the summary for it gave me bad Amazing Spider-Man 2 flashbacks with the genetic coding and the parents .

IMO, "Family Business" written by Mark Waid & James Robinson is one of the standout Spider-Man stories of recent years. It's a genuine representation of a formidable, independent and resourceful Spider-Man.

Zdarskys' "Unspectacular Clown-Man" is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
    TIME AND A WORD

This was so hard to get through
    We need better comics

⚡ The Scarlet Poster ⚡ Flash Fan #1's Avatar

Eh, I enjoyed it.

Peter showing up to the date in full costume with a suit was a bit much, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's kind of funny, in a ridiculous and sad kind of way, that the actual teenage Spider-Man (Miles) seems to act more maturely and be treated more respectfully by people then the actual adult Spider-Man (Peter).

Zdarksy even made a man-child joke .
    Peter Parker was more mature when he was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
    Peter Parker was more mature when he was a teenager.
    There are times when I can't help but agree with this .