Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bergman View Post
    Peter Parker was more mature when he was a teenager.
    The problem is that the character is about 28 years old in the current comics, but many of the writers still want to portray him as a teenager.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Guy View Post
    The problem is that the character is about 28 years old in the current comics, but many of the writers still want to portray him as a teenager.
    Nailed it. This is especially true with Zdarsky and Bendis, going by their portrayals of him, IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Nailed it. This is especially true with Zdarsky and Bendis, going by their portrayals of him, IMO.
    In Bendis's case, I'm assuming it's because he only knows how to write a teenage Peter Parker based off of his work on Ultimate Spider-Man (which I actually really liked).

In Bendis's case, I'm assuming it's because he only knows how to write a teenage Peter Parker based off of his work on Ultimate Spider-Man (which I actually really liked).
    Yeah, that might be it. Though he does write Miles a bit more maturely IMO.

BANNED

I can't say since I don't read Miles Morales.

BANNED

Don't forget Slott...he writes him that way also and has for the last 10 years! I'm starting to think that this was some kind of Quesada mandate that was put into motion with BND and the whole "youth" thing. Spider-Man after OMD was mandated to always be written as if he is a teenager and not a mature adult and this is why all Marvel writers portray him in that fashion...even if they don't want too.

BANNED

I have also noticed how much mature PAD writes Kaine and Ben over in Scarlet Spider. Hell...they act like way smarter Spider-Men then moronic acting Peter Parker, and they are clones! That's just sad if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    I have also noticed how much mature PAD writes Kaine and Ben over in Scarlet Spider. Hell...they act like way smarter Spider-Men then moronic acting Peter Parker, and they are clones! That's just sad if you ask me.

Yeah, I've always thought the bastardization of Peter Parker began with OMD and has been perpetuated by most (so-called) writers since. Forty plus years of a formidable, independent and resourceful adult Spider-Man replaced with a demon dealing, immature, incompetent man-child. Fake Peter Parker? - No thanks!
    TIME AND A WORD

I can't say since I don't read Miles Morales.
    I've read the Ultimate stuff with Miles. He's hardly an immature character, but he's also a far less rounded one than Ultimate Peter was.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb52 View Post
    Don't forget Slott...he writes him that way also and has for the last 10 years! I'm starting to think that this was some kind of Quesada mandate that was put into motion with BND and the whole "youth" thing. Spider-Man after OMD was mandated to always be written as if he is a teenager and not a mature adult and this is why all Marvel writers portray him in that fashion...even if they don't want too.
    Ehh... Slott makes him act stupid at times so his plot can work, but it's nowhere near the depths that guys like Zdarsky, Bendis, and Waid have reached with the character.

BANNED

Ehh... Slott makes him act stupid at times so his plot can work, but it's nowhere near the depths that guys like Zdarsky, Bendis, and Waid have reached with the character.
    I've always thought Mark Waid was pretty hit and miss with Spider-Man. Even though he wrote the awful House of M where Peter is portrayed as a mentally-ill jerk, he also wrote the great Unscheduled Stop where he is portrayed as a true, selfless hero.

I think their takes are all pretty in-line with each other as far as portraying Peter.

I've always thought Mark Waid was pretty hit and miss with Spider-Man. Even though he wrote the awful House of M where Peter is portrayed as a mentally-ill jerk, he also wrote the great Unscheduled Stop where he is portrayed as a true, selfless hero.
    And don't forget his Avengers run, where Peter does nothing but act creepy, and Spider-Man is a punching bag for heroes and villains alike. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think their takes are all pretty in-line with each other as far as portraying Peter.

Really? I've found Waid, Zdarsky, and Bendis to portray an immature/incompetent Peter much more consistently than Slott. Like I said, Slott usually makes Peter act stupid as a means to an end (ex. the recent ASM 28, or ASM 13, or whenever he wants Parker Industries to fail, etc.) but the I feel like the other 3 honestly think he is a complete idiot/goofball. And Slott has written a lot of awesome Peter moments as well (ex. ASM 30, ASM 1, Spider-Island, Danger Zone, Ends of the Earth, No One Dies, the original Big Time, Spoder-Man/Human Torch, etc.) which make me think he doesn't actually TRY to write Peter as an idiot, despite the way it sometimes comes off.

I don't know, maybe I'm a little biased for Slott because he's still the only writer who addressed and fixed the hypocrisy of Peter spouting on about responsibility but never really taking any in his real life.
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 07-27-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Incredible Member

[ removed ]
    Last edited by xpyred; 07-27-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Really? I've found Waid, Zdarsky, and Bendis to portray an immature/incompetent Peter much more consistently than Slott. Like I said, Slott usually makes Peter act stupid as a means to an end (ex. the recent ASM 28, or ASM 13, or whenever he wants Parker Industries to fail, etc.) but the I feel like the other 3 honestly think he is a complete idiot/goofball. And Slott has written a lot of awesome Peter moments as well (ex. ASM 30, ASM 1, Spider-Island, Danger Zone, Ends of the Earth, No One Dies, the original Big Time, Spoder-Man/Human Torch, etc.) which make me think he doesn't actually TRY to write Peter as an idiot, despite the way it sometimes comes off.
    That's always been my impression of Slott's Peter, with rare exception.

I don't know, maybe I'm a little biased for Slott because he's still the only writer who addressed and fixed the hypocrisy of Peter spouting on about responsibility but never really taking any in his real life.
    Well I personally think Slott has only added to that hypocrisy, but I guess I'm biased too .