Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mighty Thor #21 Spoliers and discussion

This issue read so fast I am not really sure it is worth a long synopsis.

War Thor/Volstagg fights off the Fire Demons and vows to take the fight to Muspelheim, as Roz realises who he is.

Odinson carries Jane to the healing halls, Mjolnir follows and Odindson calls it out "You are the cause of this suffering! You are the reason she is dying! Go to Hel and leave her be, you blasted mallet!"

Jane prefers to grab the waiting Mjolnir, which is calling to her with 'troubles in the realms' than to accept the magical healing she has already vowed not to use. She flies off in a heroic flash page.

-

This time Dauterman is totally absent! the solicits suggested he would be here. I got my wish that it might be better if Schiti took on the whole issue. He did a very solid job, he is a very good artist. His fire demons are not as nice as Duaterman's. I hope there are no problems in Dauterman's personal life. Maybe he is focused on the upcoming #100, even though he shares duties with other greats. Maybe he is a little nervous of sharing duties with Simonson and wants to bring his A game. I hope so, but his game is always pretty great.

If anyone was wondering about all that musing on War Thor being an analogy of Jane/Thor then this issue really slams it home. There is very little else in this issue aside form the War Thor/Volstagg Jane/Thor comparison.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-20-2017 at 02:56 AM.

As I had anticipated, It seems as though they are really trying to drive home the point that Mjolnir actually messes with the wielder's mind. And at least Ultimate Mjolnir seems almost malevolent about it. As soon as Volstagg started to realize what he was actually doing and started to come to himself, Mjolnir, which was just chillin' on Enchantress's chest, snapped back into his hand to regain control.

as For Dauterman's absence, it is a shame, but his art is so detailed, that takes time...

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    As I had anticipated, It seems as though they are really trying to drive home the point that Mjolnir actually messes with the wielder's mind. And at least Ultimate Mjolnir seems almost malevolent about it. As soon as Volstagg started to realize what he was actually doing and started to come to himself, Mjolnir, which was just chillin' on Enchantress's chest, snapped back into his hand to regain control.

as For Dauterman's absence, it is a shame, but his art is so detailed, that takes time...
    It was a great scene, and I agree it is now double underlined how much control these things are having on their wielders. I don't think it is a coincidence that both appear to have storms bound into them either. And I don't think we have ever seen such an obvious juxtaposition between Jane refusing magic and yet accepting it through Mjolnir. This issue was clearly paced to drive home these points before we get into the main action.

The way the Ultimate hammer based with Volstagg, and the way mjolnir keeps following Jane even when she's dying convinces me that the motherstorm might be evil.
    I remember an early issue of the mighty Thor, where Laufey (Louis dad) is telling male kith about how the frost Giants worship the mother Strom and used to throw their children into it, and it brought cold winters for them.

All-New Member

Have we seen the Queen of Cinders yet, I don't think we have. Is it Laussa? Maybe they think if they burn the worlds their queen will come? Prophesised maybe? Or maybe its not her, and its a queen they've already got, but wouldn't it have been mentioned somewhere else if Muspelheim now had a queen who'd taken over the place? Or maybe they've just dropped the Laussa stuff entirely?

The synopsis made me think we'd actually see the Queen of Cinders though, but it seems its still just her army/agents doing all of this so far whether on her orders or in the hope of bringing her forth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It was a great scene, and I agree it is now double underlined how much control these things are having on their wielders. I don't think it is a coincidence that both appear to have storms bound into them either. And I don't think we have ever seen such an obvious juxtaposition between Jane refusing magic and yet accepting it through Mjolnir. This issue was clearly paced to drive home these points before we get into the main action.
    Maybe it's coz neither jane or volstag are actually the thunder god proper?

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    The way the Ultimate hammer based with Volstagg, and the way mjolnir keeps following Jane even when she's dying convinces me that the motherstorm might be evil.
    I remember an early issue of the mighty Thor, where Laufey (Louis dad) is telling male kith about how the frost Giants worship the mother Strom and used to throw their children into it, and it brought cold winters for them.
    Really? I don't remember it. Do you have a reference? That would be a good catch if it is true.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-20-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seridrl View Post
    Have we seen the Queen of Cinders yet, I don't think we have. Is it Laussa? Maybe they think if they burn the worlds their queen will come? Prophesised maybe? Or maybe its not her, and its a queen they've already got, but wouldn't it have been mentioned somewhere else if Muspelheim now had a queen who'd taken over the place? Or maybe they've just dropped the Laussa stuff entirely?

The synopsis made me think we'd actually see the Queen of Cinders though, but it seems its still just her army/agents doing all of this so far whether on her orders or in the hope of bringing her forth.
    Loki and Malekith were waiting for her in #19, and in this issue the Fire Demons are certainly Hailing her as if she is current and no longer a prophesy. I was also expecting the call back to Laussa. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Maybe it's coz neither jane or volstag are actually the thunder god proper?
    I just don't expect these storms to hang around for the long term. They are the new variable, and they are probably what the story hinges upon.

Astonishing Member

I just don't expect these storms to hang around for the long term. They are the new variable, and they are probably what the story hinges upon.

Good point

I find it interesting that I no longer want thor to regain the hammer because I no longer feel it's worthy of him

Really? I don't remember it. Do you have a reference? That would be a good catch if it is true.
    I checked, it's actually Thor vol 4 #3, page 1 and 2, and it was Utgard that said it (Laufey was still send then)

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Good point

I find it interesting that I no longer want thor to regain the hammer because I no longer feel it's worthy of him
    I feel the same way, leave the hammer on asgard and show what a hammerless Thor can do without being hampered by depression and angst

Fantastic Member

I checked, it's actually Thor vol 4 #3, page 1 and 2, and it was Utgard that said it (Laufey was still send then)
    Hmmm. Yeah, Mother Storm isn't looking so benevolent, now. This is fairly in line with mythological storms in general, as both a force of destruction and a catalyst for new life (an almost ironic similarity it, and water in general, shares with fire). But although the hints were there, early on, it definitely is becoming clearer.

Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow.

BANNED

I feel that the Hammer will be destroyed come the Legacy storyline to tie-in with the film version of Thor.